2010 - England's year. Watch

Mr_Steve_Stifler
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I really believe we have a damn good chance of winning the world cup in 2010. I believe that Capello is what England have really been missing, a source of discipline. I think that England have not progressed to become world beaters because of discipline. What do you think? We have some damn good talent coming through.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Lol no we wont.
Think Spain will be favourites again, with such depth in their side.
England are still lacking a good strike force and Gerrard/Lampard hasnt been solved. Still questions over RB and a goalkeeper. Tbh questions all over the pitch with scattered performances and no true link up in the team. We dont gel well at all!
ba_ba1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Following the big 4 + hosts theory plus the fact that no european team has won a WC outside europe, i'd put my money on Argentina or Brazil.
Stu Laverty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm more confident under Cappello than any manager in my lifetime (excluding Robson, who was only manager for a few years since my birth).
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Cappello is still experimenting a lot. I dont even he knows what the best formation/starting XI is. Yes the tournament is a year and a half away but you'd think there would be some ideas to indicate his preference.
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd be ecstatic if we get in the semi-finals. The media will most likely be baying or blood if we don't bring back silverware though.

I reckon an African nation could give an upset though - possibly Egypt, Ivory Coast, etc.
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We have a better chance than we've had for a long time, probably since Italia 90 I reckon, purely due to the fact we've a top manager.
Neville 'Facking' Bartos
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
England better hope they get evening games, or acclimate ASAP - they're gonna melt in the African sun :o:
This Is Not A Username
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We will get to the quarter-finals and go out tamely like usual. The media will overhype them for months before the tournament then turn on them when they don't beat Brazil 10-0.
2Pac best rapper ever!
Report 9 years ago
we will loose as usual. :rolleyes: it's been almost half a century of people going:

I think we will win next year!!!..!
Snookercraze
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Doubt England will win the WC in 2010. There's always hype prior to it.

I think it will be Brazil, Argentina or Spain. Beware of Messi.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:toofunny:
ilovepie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
here we go again....
Stu Laverty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sarforaz)
Cappello is still experimenting a lot. I dont even he knows what the best formation/starting XI is. Yes the tournament is a year and a half away but you'd think there would be some ideas to indicate his preference.
100% record in qualification is fine by me. England doesn't have a top XI, not yet, but we do have a manager that recognises that the best players don't win things. Look at Spain in Euro 2008, they didn't play Fabregas until the end, despite him being one of the best central midfielders in the world, but fitting him in would change the style of play.

Cappello, I feel, has a good understanding of what works against what teams. If we're up against a really defensive team, he knows Heskey can help break them down, he knows that a slow team will suck against Walcott, and he knows that in the centre we need a Carrick/Barry/Hagreaves (if ever fit). Our back four is pretty much ideal, the only part of the squad that concerns me is the keeper.
~|Shock|~
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
England will always be one of the contenders, and they can beat anybody. But I still cannot see a major cutting edge of England over any other major contenders such as France, Italy, Spain, not to mention those two teams in the South America

Its definately possible, the Germans by far never had the best 11 but quite often they are able to play as the best team.

Should England manage to break into the semis and most of the performance are hard-working, spirited and competitive, I'd say that it is a successful campaign.

Of course Beck scoring the last-second free-kick to win the cup would be a perfect fairytale.
MittenKrust
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Who cares, whatever happens the media, fans and players will whinge and blame their loss on some injured player or low morale and it will be all over the news for days and England players will become heros and get awards etc.
Creepy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm gonna put a tenner on England to win at the start of the tournament. It'd be nice to win, and get that extra little ££ on the side, too
marcosgll
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Eww... I'm Spanish and I definitely think that Spain is not going to win. We have changed the coach (Luis Aragones is no longer the coach) and the players are getting old. So... probably England or Brazil will win.
Apart from that, Liverpool is going to win the Premier League. Benitez is the best coach in the world!
0404343m
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
England's team won't win or lose on the Lampards and Gerards, theyll be into their 30s, as will Owen, Ferdinand etc etc, and probably past their best. What will be the big factor, is if Walcott, Young, Bentley, Hart, Agbonlahor really progress into being world class players in the next 18 months, more so than their foreign rivals do. I don't see England winning it to be honest, there are just better sides out there. That said, Germany and Italy have won tournaments when Spain have been perhaps the most talented side there, so it's not impossible, but I wouldn't bet the house on it.
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Stu Laverty)
100% record in qualification is fine by me. England doesn't have a top XI, not yet, but we do have a manager that recognises that the best players don't win things. Look at Spain in Euro 2008, they didn't play Fabregas until the end, despite him being one of the best central midfielders in the world, but fitting him in would change the style of play.

Cappello, I feel, has a good understanding of what works against what teams. If we're up against a really defensive team, he knows Heskey can help break them down, he knows that a slow team will suck against Walcott, and he knows that in the centre we need a Carrick/Barry/Hagreaves (if ever fit). Our back four is pretty much ideal, the only part of the squad that concerns me is the keeper.
Spain are very strong in CM... Xavi, Iniesta, Senna, Alonso, Fabregas.
He might be good for Arsenal but thats a lot of experience/talent to compete with.
On a math level, all that analysis is fine but on the pitch it doesnt always work. Tbh you need a consistent side and high confidence to suceed in a tournament and that doesnt come from chopping and changing.
The back 4 is alright, but what about RB? I cant think of anyone amazing for that position. Rio/Terry/A.Cole are good, too many question marks over the keeper.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (75)
29.41%
No - I got the required grades (147)
57.65%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (33)
12.94%

Watched Threads