Some advice please... Watch

natty_d
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm in Year 12, currently studying Maths, Physics, Spanish and French, and I would like to go a top uni for economics... However I know that because I don't do economics/business studies (they are not available options, and my head of year has agreed to write this on my UCAS when i apply) that I am at a disadvantage..

I'm thinking about dropping Physics, however is the combination of Maths, Spanish and French strong enough to get onto a good economics course..? I think I will get AAA with that combination, but Physics may require more work, I'm not sure how my first module even went... I may be on course for a B.. :rolleyes:

I will be doing further maths as an AS, next year to enhance my application, and I'm genuinely very interested in Economics, i have been reading lots of books about it and seems llike something i would really enjoy...

Sorry for the really long post, but a bit of an advice would be helpful....
Shekstar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You shouldn't be at any disadvantage for not doing economics, esp if you tell the unis that the school don't offer them. Just make sure ur enthusiasm and passion for economics comes across in the personal statement.
I personally would recommend keeping physics, because its very mathsy and a "traditional academic subject" which they love, but again they prefer an A in a language to a B in physics. Good call on AS further maths.
ClaireHogben
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
definately do the further maths. with good results in the core modules (C1 - C4 and FP1) you should be ok
wannabe mexican
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd say drop the physics and stick to your AAA combo. No uni will ignore that.
Zack_Morris_Fan
Report 9 years ago
I don't do Economics for A level and I've got into 4 unis (e.g. Bath) so far.

Maybe as you have the strong maths background you should do an Economics and Maths/Economics and Accounting/Finance course...unless of course you're not interested in it.

Some Unis say Economics A level isn't essential- but when I visited Bath, for example, they said getting into the straight Economics course was virtually impossible without Economics so I applied for Economics and International Development.

I don't know whether I've been any help here!
natty_d
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zack_Morris_Fan)
I don't do Economics for A level and I've got into 4 unis (e.g. Bath) so far.

Maybe as you have the strong maths background you should do an Economics and Maths/Economics and Accounting/Finance course...unless of course you're not interested in it.

Some Unis say Economics A level isn't essential- but when I visited Bath, for example, they said getting into the straight Economics course was virtually impossible without Economics so I applied for Economics and International Development.

I don't know whether I've been any help here!
You have! Thank you!

Where else have you applied, if you don't mind me asking?
Zack_Morris_Fan
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by natty_d)
You have! Thank you!

Where else have you applied, if you don't mind me asking?
Manchester, Sheffield and Leeds

I've also applied to Bristol and I'm still hanging in there somehow! I'm not expecting an offer from them though, considering the number of amazing candidates that have been rejected.

I definitely think Further Maths is a good option for you- I do it for A level and I think that is why I'm getting in places (apart from Bath I've applied to all finance related economics courses).

Just make sure you do FP1, FP4 and S2 because obviously Statistics is good for Economics and FP2 is ridiculously hard!
natty_d
Rep:
?
Manchester, Sheffield and Leeds

I've also applied to Bristol and I'm still hanging in there somehow! I'm not expecting an offer from them though, considering the number of amazing candidates that have been rejected.

I definitely think Further Maths is a good option for you- I do it for A level and I think that is why I'm getting in places (apart from Bath I've applied to all finance related economics courses).

Just make sure you do FP1, FP4 and S2 because obviously Statistics is good for Economics and FP2 is ridiculously hard!
Defo going to do FP1 and S2, I'll have to think about the other one...
Zack_Morris_Fan
Report 9 years ago
Defo going to do FP1 and S2, I'll have to think about the other one...
ok, well if you're doing AQA FP2 is by far the hardest and most irritating exam
its all about complex numbers and De Moivre's Theorem and its just not fun AT ALL

I just think if you're only doing 3 then choosing the ones you're most likely to get good marks on might be wise- but im going to be quiet now because its none of my business
natty_d
Rep:
?
ok, well if you're doing AQA FP2 is by far the hardest and most irritating exam
its all about complex numbers and De Moivre's Theorem and its just not fun AT ALL

I just think if you're only doing 3 then choosing the ones you're most likely to get good marks on might be wise- but im going to be quiet now because its none of my business
I'm doing Edexcel, and you've been very helpful...
JayAyy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd say drop physics at the end of the year, and consider picking up Further Maths AS.

I also suggest that you try and get work experience in economics (e.g: accounting, banks, consultancy etc.) and reading books to so your genuine interest in economics.
Zack_Morris_Fan
Report 9 years ago
I'm doing Edexcel, and you've been very helpful...
Thank you!
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm in Year 12, currently studying Maths, Physics, Spanish and French, and I would like to go a top uni for economics... However I know that because I don't do economics/business studies (they are not available options, and my head of year has agreed to write this on my UCAS when i apply) that I am at a disadvantage..

I'm thinking about dropping Physics, however is the combination of Maths, Spanish and French strong enough to get onto a good economics course..? I think I will get AAA with that combination, but Physics may require more work, I'm not sure how my first module even went... I may be on course for a B.. :rolleyes:
Firstly I don't know if it is feasible to do both Physics and AS FM?
Secondly you are correct that it is important that your reference makes clear you did not have the opportunity to do econ or bus.
Thirdly Maths, Physics, Spanish and French are all well respected traditional subjects. You obviously need to select subjects you are good at and languages are well respected but there may be decreasing marginal returns from doing 2 languages and having a science as well would be good. So dropping a language instead of physics would be another option.
Fourthly once you get your AS grades you will have a better idea where you are and the best option is.

I will be doing further maths as an AS, next year to enhance my application, and I'm genuinely very interested in Economics, i have been reading lots of books about it and seems llike something i would really enjoy...
Well check out the Good Econ PS guide and hopefully then your interest will come across in your PS.
natty_d
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paulwhy)
Firstly I don't know if it is feasible to do both Physics and AS FM?
Secondly you are correct that it is important that your reference makes clear you did not have the opportunity to do econ or bus.
Thirdly Maths, Physics, Spanish and French are all well respected traditional subjects. You obviously need to select subjects you are good at and languages are well respected but there may be decreasing marginal returns from doing 2 languages and having a science as well would be good. So dropping a language instead of physics would be another option.
Fourthly once you get your AS grades you will have a better idea where you are and the best option is.

Well check out the Good Econ PS guide and hopefully then your interest will come across in your PS.
Which ever one I drop Physics or Spanish, I will do Further Maths AS.... But keeping the physics looks better?
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Which ever one I drop Physics or Spanish, I will do Further Maths AS.... But keeping the physics looks better?
Yes doing a science and a language shows a greater breadth of skills than 2 languages.
But you are correct in what you said in your OP, i.e. you want good grades as well.
natty_d
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paulwhy)
Yes doing a science and a language shows a greater breadth of skills than 2 languages.
But you are correct in what you said in your OP, i.e. you want good grades as well.
Is there anything else you suggest I should do?
Moogen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think the best thing to do since you can't do economics is read. There is very little work experience that is directly relevant to the course (that is accessible to you) so by reading widely around the subject you can show your interest and enthusiasm for the subject. If you just read a few good books and choose one to discuss briefly in your personal statement this will really strengthen it.
natty_d
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moogen)
I think the best thing to do since you can't do economics is read. There is very little work experience that is directly relevant to the course (that is accessible to you) so by reading widely around the subject you can show your interest and enthusiasm for the subject. If you just read a few good books and choose one to discuss briefly in your personal statement this will really strengthen it.
Thanks for the advice... I've read Freakonomics, which is what really got me interested and now im reading the truth about markets by John Kay... Could you recommend any other books?
Moogen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks for the advice... I've read Freakonomics, which is what really got me interested and now im reading the truth about markets by John Kay... Could you recommend any other books?
Freakonomics is ok as a starting point but I wouldn't mention it in your statement (as pretty much everyone has read it, there's not much economics in it and so not really much to talk about). For a similar but much better book try "The Undercover Economist". "The Truth About Markets" is quite good though. Other books I'd recommend are some Stiglitz stuff, e.g. "Making Globalisation Work" (or there are a few others also on Globalisation that I haven't read but have heard are good). I also liked "The Worldly Philosphers", covers most of the important economists and the development of economics chronologically from Adam Smith through to Keynes/Schumpter - good mix of economics, history and biography. Those are ones I thought were good, but I probably haven't read as widely as some of the other people on this forum - they can probably suggest a few more good ones.
natty_d
Rep:
?
I'm going to bump my thread, cos I don't want to start a new one. :bump:

Right, I have no idea where to start. I'd quite like to go to a London uni and do Maths and Economics.

My GCSE grades are: 7A*s, 2 As and a B. My AS Grades are: ABBC (French, Maths, Spanish and Physics)

I will be dropping physics. I will be predicted AAA because Maths and Spanish were only a few UMS of As and I will be doing some resits. I will be picking up Further Maths AS as well.

Any help?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?

Yes (173)
18.66%
No (561)
60.52%
Not really bothered about them (193)
20.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise