Can you get into a good university with a Btec and 2 A levels? Watch

Rinnyy
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I know a-levels are generally preferred by top unis, but I was wondering if a Level 3 btec and A levels in English lit & Art could get me into a uni should I change my career choice? I've applied to a performing arts school you see, and the btec is in music, but I wanted to have something to fall back on. So yeah, can you get into a good university with a Btec and 2 A levels?
suicidal_dream
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
my boyfriend did. he's at northampton doing business computing systems bsc...

so there are some unis around which would accept you with that - not sure about performing arts schools though
burninginme
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't get your hopes up on a real top uni, I'd say with your qualifications you're looking at mid-range. However, in subjects such as preforming arts and music there is more leyway than some other subjects such as science and mathematics, so contact them and ask.
gunner1986
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Of course you can, if you get like all merits/distinctions in all your BTEC modules coupled with at least C or above in your A-Levels you will be able to get into a good university.

A friend mine got into Durham university by doing a BTEC and A-Level English
jamessimth5
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by gunner1986)
Of course you can, if you get like all merits/distinctions in all your BTEC modules coupled with at least C or above in your A-Levels you will be able to get into a good university.

A friend mine got into Durham university by doing a BTEC and A-Level English
Durham!

Really, with a BTEC, what is he/she doing at Durham?
Danny_777
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Bear in mind that barely any 'good' universities accept Art as it is 100% practical.
mizzsnazzter
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by suicidal_dream)
my boyfriend did. he's at northampton doing business computing systems bsc...
says it all really
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yes you can. my mate got anoffer from bristol with just the btec. cant remember what for tho.

its not massively likely tho unless it was good grades all round.
Umad?
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yes thats like 5 A-levels instead of 3..
MyBigMouth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It depends on the subject you're applying for, I think.

Like, I think it'd be very hard to get into Durham for English Literature with those, but with other subjects it's different.
suicidal_dream
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mizzsnazzter)
says it all really
he actually loves northampton and his course, and considering he came over to the uk from the US and completed a levels and a BTEC, he's more than happy being at northampton.
simon12345
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes you can.

I've applied for Law with a BTEC ND in IT and 2 A-Levels in English Lit & Lang + Law with predicted grades of 'DDD' and 'AA'.

I applied for Cambridge and got an interview (although I was subsequently rejected).

But I got an offer from Kings College London for 'DDD' + one A-Level grade 'A' (ranked number 4 in the country for Law according to both the Times and Guardian league tables).
Moabubaker
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You can forget about Oxbridge, but maybe some other uni's.
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's best not to pay attention to any advice on such things from members of TSR, they're only students too remember.
simon12345
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Moabubaker)
You can forget about Oxbridge, but maybe some other uni's.
I applied for Cambridge with a BTEC and 2 A-Levels and got an interview (after emailing and admissions tutor of a college who said that I would be considered and that I should apply). They wouldn't have interviewed me if I had no hope at all of getting in.
mizzsnazzter
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by suicidal_dream)
he actually loves northampton and his course, and considering he came over to the uk from the US and completed a levels and a BTEC, he's more than happy being at northampton.
she said top university though
and i dont see coming from the US a means for not doing well at A levels ?? thats a rubbish excuse. At our school we have 2 girls from america who just got 6As at AS and has a fully paid scholorship for harvard.
Moabubaker
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by simon12345)
I applied for Cambridge with a BTEC and 2 A-Levels and got an interview (after emailing and admissions tutor of a college who said that I would be considered and that I should apply). They wouldn't have interviewed me if I had no hope at all of getting in.
The first time i heard that, some of my friends with 7-8 A*s get rejected straight away without an interview. It's maybe that they found you more appealing than others could be because of your personal statement etc., so they'd thought they call you in for an interview.
suicidal_dream
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mizzsnazzter)
she said top university though
and i dont see coming from the US a means for not doing well at A levels ?? thats a rubbish excuse. At our school we have 2 girls from america who just got 6As at AS and has a fully paid scholorship for harvard.
he came over when he was 16 and a term into AS Levels so had never been in the uk system before and missed out a term... so yeah he did pretty damn good to get settled and still get good results.... And the title says 'good university' which is what Northampton is...
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Moabubaker)
The first time i heard that, some of my friends with 7-8 A*s get rejected straight away without an interview. It's maybe that they found you more appealing than others could be because of your personal statement etc., so they'd thought they call you in for an interview.
GCSEs are barely ever an important factor of an admission tutor's decision.
Moabubaker
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
GCSEs are barely ever an important factor of an admission tutor's decision.
Not only GCSE's but AAAAA in A level. I guess it depends on what course you are choosing to apply, like for medicine they do care.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (71)
30.34%
No - I got the required grades (132)
56.41%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (31)
13.25%

Watched Threads