Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is for my coursework. I couldn't find this anywhere on the internet without having to buy some scientific papers. Is this the correct apparatus? I am investigating the amount of products produced is affected by various factors.

Also, how do I determine the amount of products produced, since there will be some chlorine in the solution (since it dissolves readily in water) and some as a gas??

Thanks in advance

Luke

this is the correct apparatus, what you'd normally try and do here is collect the gas in an uptuned measuring cylinder or burette so you can work out the volume of gas produced.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks. As for the dissolved Cl, do I add acidified iodide ions to produce Iodine and then estimate the amount of Iodine by titration with sodium thiosulphate solution?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reptilezoo)
    Ok thanks. As for the dissolved Cl, do I add acidified iodide ions to produce Iodine and then estimate the amount of Iodine by titration with sodium thiosulphate solution?
    I would figure so, the dissolved chlorine gas is a better oxidising agent than iodine, hence it would displace iodine from iodide, meaning it would oxidise the iodide to iodine.

And amount of iodine produced can indeed be determined by titration with thiosulphate. But remember, the production of iodine might still go on, so your titration value could be different if different samples of the iodine solution are extracted at different times, perhaps you should quench the reaction or wait till it is finished before titration.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 29, 2009

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.