flute help needed please :-) Watch

zoe1989
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Right, I've just brought a flute. The music side isn't an issue as I've been doing grade 7 piano and I've mastered the fingering etc. However there is a slight issue which is that I can't make a sound :confused: whenever I try it either comes out as a whistle much to everyones amusement :p: or just air if that makes sense. If anyone has any tips I would appreciate it thanks
:):)
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
place the mouth piece just under your bottom lip and blow over the hole. good luck
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You are probably blowing into it like a clarinet. You have to be very careful to blow across the top of the hole, and not into the instrument.

You should practice by holding the flute in its proper position and placing it carefully in the groove between your chin and your bottom lip. Then practice carefully changing the angle at which you are blowing. First try blowing straight forward, and if that doesn't work you can try slightly raising/lowering the angle at which you blow to find the best position.

Once you can make a decent sound, its just a matter of practice.

You will probably find as you get more advanced that a slightly different blowing technique is needed for lower notes than higher notes, though its very hard to explain - you will feel it.
xHolly-Mariex
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi there, I've been playing the flute for a few years now, and once you've mastered the embouchure it's no problem at all - although it can be a bit difficult to start with
My flute teacher began with just using the head joint of the flute and standing me in front of a mirror, which helped a lot.

I was told that the lower lip should cover approximately 1/3 of the blow hole and make sure that the opening of the lips is in the centre of the blow hole (check this by seeing if there is a “triangle of condensation” centred on the opposite side of the blow hole)
Then once that is mastered, roll the head joint in or out to create the best tone.

Hope that helps - I don't describe it very well lol
zoe1989
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
legends it's done thank you all! will rep everyone etc when I can
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
wow glad it worked out it does sound rather tricky to get the hang of
Fletch
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's a curious kind of blow with the flute. Instead of a kissy mouth like blowing out a candle you need to stretch your mouth slightly sideways like a smile and put a little tension in your lips. There's also a bit of downwards pressure in your top lip at the points just outside the line of your nostrils (does any of this make sense :confused: ). It's also a good excercise to play in front of a candle and try not to disturb the flame.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.82%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (223)
40.55%
Nope, not that interesting (218)
39.64%

Watched Threads