Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you ever feel a little embarrassed to tell people you've just met that you go to a private school lest you be branded a "snob"? I dont really know why, cos it's never happened to me, but I always do for some reason...

ReputationRep:
    No.

Here we go again. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    No more embarrased than someone from a state school might be, for fear of coming across as too working class.

ReputationRep:
    Mate i go to a public school. You know what thats like. MAny people think that i am a snob (well i dont really think i am), and i think i am too smart.. SO yeah i do get emb...

ReputationRep:
    I'd be canny embarrassed like............................ ...

ReputationRep:
    in all fairness the people that automatically assume your a snob before knowing you properly aren't worth it so i wouldn't be worried about it.

ReputationRep:
    are arrogant snobs who are given everything in life

ReputationRep:
    Yup. Same with telling people I go to Cambridge,

ReputationRep:
    If people think I'm a snob just because I was privately educated all my life (bar one year), then I'm not too bothered as I wouldn't want someone so judgmental as a friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndiPeters)
    Wow, bitter/jealous much?
    That's quite a sweeping statement you made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indian_george_soros)
    Mate i go to a public school. You know what thats like. MAny people think that i am a snob (well i dont really think i am), and i think i am too smart.. SO yeah i do get emb...

Can you reflect that in your punctuation then, please.

ReputationRep:
    Not ashamed of it at all. Why should I be?

ReputationRep:
    see what I mean? this is why I get embarrassed

ReputationRep:
    Yes, people make a lot of assumptions, most of them are completely untrue. Everytime I tell someone I go to a private school, I automatically tell them that my uncle pays and my parents couldn't afford it. Not to mention the fact that I have to pay some of it back myself.

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm proud of it. I loved my schools.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    why would what type of school you go to come up in conversation??

it makes no difference to me what school someone goes to in determining whether i like someone or not, i can tell who's a snob without them needing to say what school they go to...

snobbishness and private schooling are by no means mutually exclusive

oh and im at state school if you wondered

ReputationRep:
    If you can't get into Bath Spa then you are a useless waste of space with the motivation of a small snail. Get some cement, fill in that chip on your shoulder and put in some hard graft

ReputationRep:
    No, why would I be proud that I had a decent education?

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.