The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Tory Dan
No, why would I be proud that I had a decent education?

Because you've turned out the way you have and noone will ever truely like you.
Reply 21
no why.....well now i just tell people i went to boarding school and i hated it
why am i not suprised that someone called "Tory Dan" went to private school?
Reply 23
Tory Dan
No, why would I be proud that I had a decent education?

idiot... state schools and have come out with better grades than me and many others
Reply 24
I'm a state schooler and I don't think people who go to private or snobs. I think they are rich. But I don't immediatley think they are snobs (although sometimes/often they are!)
King4eva
idiot... state schools and have come out with better grades than me and many others

Dude?

He didn't say that state schools didn't provide a good education. He simply said that he got a decent education from a private school.
Reply 26
bigdaveracer
why would what type of school you go to come up in conversation??

usually because of my accent, not because it's particularly posh I don't think, it's just I like to prnounce my t's properly and some people take a disliking to that...
Reply 27
Bobo1234
Do you ever feel a little embarrassed to tell people you've just met that you go to a private school lest you be branded a "snob"? I dont really know why, cos it's never happened to me, but I always do for some reason...

:rofl: Already have your registered as snob 1 in my head.
no. it doesn't usually come up in conversation... or does it?... :hmmm:
Reply 29
Revoked_Tangerine
why am i not suprised that someone called "Tory Dan" went to private school?

TBF I know a Tory Dan, and I'm not at a private school.
BJack
TBF I know a Tory Dan, and I'm not at a private school.

yeh but does the tory dan you know go on forums and call himself tory dan and have john major quotes as his signiture?
Reply 31
you shouldnt care
Yeah I sometimes will avoid mentioning it, people often seem to make a lot of assumptions about private school kids. I had people shout stuff at me ("posh ****", etc) when I went into town in my school uniform and I've been called a snob just because of the school I went to. :dontknow:
I think a lot of people start university with many preconceptions about those who were privately educated but they get over them quite quickly.
thing is though when you're 11 your parents ultimately decide what school you go to.... so if you did go to private school its not really your fault
Reply 34
I used to worry that people might judge me for it, but it doesn't bother me that much any more. I'm lucky that I live in an area which has quite a few good private schools, so I rarely got any hassle for it.
I don't live in the best of areas, Coventry, and so yes I do avoid telling people that I go to a private school. If I choose to, they are usually surprised by quite how "normal" I am.
People who don't know me, yet know the school I attend, treat me as a snob.

I think the root of it sometimes is jealousy.
Reply 36
misshape
Yes, people make a lot of assumptions, most of them are completely untrue. Everytime I tell someone I go to a private school, I automatically tell them that my uncle pays and my parents couldn't afford it. Not to mention the fact that I have to pay some of it back myself.

Assumptions are mankind's biggest fault.
Reply 37
My school has 'Grammar' in the title, so it leaves it open as to whether it is a state grammar or a private, the latter of which it is.
Bobo1234
Do you ever feel a little embarrassed to tell people you've just met that you go to a private school lest you be branded a "snob"? I dont really know why, cos it's never happened to me, but I always do for some reason...

snob
I go to a private school and, to be honest, I've no qualms telling people that go to state schools I go to a private school. If they turn around and call me a "snob" or whatever then so be it. I don't really want to be friends with someone who'd do that anyway, so I take it to be their loss! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending