SOAS vs City for Law

Watch this thread
TSR George
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi,

Which would you say is the better uni for law or is it simply a case of opinion because they are both equally good?
Last edited by RK; 2 years ago
Don John
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 13 years ago
It should always be a matter of opinion
eve_22
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Flavity)
Hi,

I've got offers from City and SOAS for law, which would you say is the better uni for law or is it simply a case of opinion because they are both equally good?

Also, I'm planning to take a trip down to London to visit the uni's. I decided that instead of going on two separate days, I might as well see them both on one day.

Anyone know how long it takes to travel from SOAS to City, and what the train/tube/bus route is? I'd be going to SOAS first and then to City.

If anyone can help me out with travel arrangements and give me an estimate of how long it takes to travel between the uni's I would be eternally grateful
Well, first of all SOAS is close to Russel Square tube station and, as far as I know, a little further (but still not far from Kings Cross St Pancras). City is based close to Angel tube station. I don't know about the bus route, but could help out with the tube You could go to SOAS first and take the Piccadilly to get to Kings Cross and change for Northern line there to go to Angel. It shouln't take you more then 15min. Or the other way round, depending where you are coming from...

As for the comparison of the two universities for law, I'd go with SOAS anyday, but then again it depends on whether you want the international aspect incoorporated into your studies. SOAS is quite unique for the LLB which it does, as you may know
muttsnuts
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Definately SOAS.

My Politics tutor (also teaches Maths, Law, & , Sciences) who used to be a lawyer, reckons that if you're a City grad, the only way to have a decent chance with Magic Circle firms is by getting a first class degree. Though City is not a bad place to study Law, SOAS definately has the upper hand, and you should have a good standing for top firms after graduating from there with an upper second class degree.

In terms of personal preference, both unis are fairly similar London institutions and there wouldn't be any serious differences in campus / student culture.
Norfolkadam
Report 13 years ago
I don't know much about law at each university but on the whole SOAS has a better reputation and, in my limited experience, is a nicer university. It's also linked to the UoL so you get more facilities (such as the Senate House library) than you may get at City.
eve_22
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Flavity)
Thanks for the directions, that has helped quite tremendously.. I was worried that I'd have to travel for something like 45 mins.. I am drifting towards accepting the SOAS offer, it seems quite good but I just want to see both universities before I make my choice.

Also, I noticed that you have an exam in March for LSE. I've also applied for LSE, haven't heard anything back. How does their system work? If you get accepted do they make you do a further exam to see whether they want you at the uni? Makes it a lot tougher for a start...!!

Thanks again.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/stand: Tube map-have a look, it may help too

As for LSE, their entrance exam is for mature students or for those with non traditional qualifications, so I guess that's why they have asked me to do it. As far as I know, if you do get an offer, there is no further exams to sit, so don't worry They are tough, but not that much Good luck and I hope that they do make you an offer!
NW8_SW1_EC3
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
SOAS based purely on reputation.
hannah17clg
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Is city university bad for law?
Mike_P
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
SOAS has better reputation. But their Law programme is very different as it automatically specializes in Africa/Asia etc. - But there's lots of options.
NW8_SW1_EC3
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by hannah17clg)
Is city university bad for law?
Not 'bad', but not great. Probably the best in London outside of the London colleges i.e. LSE, UCL, KCL, SOAS and QMUL. But that isn't really saying much at all.
Durham_
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
SOAS all the way
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (21)
30.88%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (26)
38.24%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (3)
4.41%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
4.41%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
5.88%
I’m starting to consider my university options (9)
13.24%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.47%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.47%

Watched Threads