Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Anyone done the online verbal & numerical reasoning tests?

Also i know they use the SHL tests been doign some practice ones, what are they like compared to the ones you actually get?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Hi was a few yrs ago when I did them so may have changed. They were ok but the one thing I found odd was that you couldnt go back to previous qs. Once you moved on to the next q that was it.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but has anyone applying to Smith & Williamson for 2010 intake heard back? Most of the other firms I've applied to take 1-2 days max. to tell you if you've passed the numerical tests, but I haven't heard back from S&W since I took the numerical test last Friday, so I'm getting a bit anxious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleven)
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but has anyone applying to Smith & Williamson for 2010 intake heard back? Most of the other firms I've applied to take 1-2 days max. to tell you if you've passed the numerical tests, but I haven't heard back from S&W since I took the numerical test last Friday, so I'm getting a bit anxious.
    Heya,

I went to their open evening yesterday. They said they try to get back to people within a week.
    However, they base their tests on the upper 50th percentile, so maybe they're waiting for other people to take it then to decide who to put through to the assessment centre.
    They don't get as many applicants as the big 4 so it takes a bit longer for mid-tier firms.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply Yazmina, I suppose it makes sense that they don't have as many applications or as large HR teams as the Big 4. Do you know how many openings there are likely to be for the 2010 intake by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply Yazmina, I suppose it makes sense that they don't have as many applications or as large HR teams as the Big 4. Do you know how many openings there are likely to be for the 2010 intake by any chance?
    In what dept for which office? I'll see what I can remember...

ReputationRep:
    In Investment Management in the London office? Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    In Investment Management in the London office? Thanks in advance
    It's not a lot, 2 or 3 I think..

They're taking on 10 for Audit, 2/3 for corp tax and I think about the same for investment management.

ReputationRep:
    There's 5 350 word questions... they can't expect us to use ALL those words??? How am I supposed to stretch out my answers that much?!

ReputationRep:
    I found that wierd as well...I tried to include as much information as I thought was necessary/helpful without waffling, but for two of them I came nowhere near the limit. I doubt they're specifically looking for lengthy responses to be honest...quality over quantity and all that...

ReputationRep:
    Got this email from the recruitment team a few days ago...not quite sure what it means, but I'm taking it as good news that they haven't rejected me yet:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for taking part in the online tests.
    Due to the exceptionally high number of applications we are currently receiving, your application is being placed on hold.
    We will contact you again within 2 weeks with regards to processing your application.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your interest in Smith & Williamson, we look forward to speaking to you soon.

Kind regards,

Graduate Recruitment
    Smith & Williamson

...has anyone else received a similar email at all?

ReputationRep:
    Got this email from the recruitment team a few days ago...not quite sure what it means, but I'm taking it as good news that they haven't rejected me yet:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for taking part in the online tests.
    Due to the exceptionally high number of applications we are currently receiving, your application is being placed on hold.
    We will contact you again within 2 weeks with regards to processing your application.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your interest in Smith & Williamson, we look forward to speaking to you soon.

Kind regards,

Graduate Recruitment
    Smith & Williamson

...has anyone else received a similar email at all?

They use the top 50th percentile then probs put those people through to the first interview.. So depends on how many people do better than you.
    I'm going to send off my application tomorrow.. (hopefully).

ReputationRep:
    I just got the same email today. I'm also applying to investment management.

How do you think you got on in the psychometric tests eleven? Did you manage to complete them? I left 4 questions at the end of the numerical reasoning, and completed the verbal reasoning.

I'm just hoping to get an idea of how well I have done compaired to other applicants. Falling in the top 2% of applicants isn't easy for a job like this.

What's your background/degree? How much do you actually know about investment management and economics? What books have you been reading? Do you manage your own portfolio?

ReputationRep:
    Very strange.

I got the same email as you at 11 this morning, but I received a further one at about 5 this afternoon. I've gotten through to the telephone interview round. Anyone else had any news?

Do you know roughly how many people will get through to this stage yasmina?

ReputationRep:
    I really have no idea, I don't know anything about investment management side - I'm applying for assurance. Did you go to their open evening?

ReputationRep:
    No I didn't. I'm all the way up in Aberdeen, so not really worth it. I'm quite familiar with the company as it is.

Did you get through the psychometric tests? We should go for lunch if we both get through to the assessment centre.

Also, If you have passed the psychometric tests, we should stay in contact so we have an idea of the questions they'll ask this year in the telephone interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ironuts)
    No I didn't. I'm all the way up in Aberdeen, so not really worth it. I'm quite familiar with the company as it is.

Did you get through the psychometric tests? We should go for lunch if we both get through to the assessment centre.

Also, If you have passed the psychometric tests, we should stay in contact so we have an idea of the questions they'll ask this year in the telephone interviews.
    I'll let you know within the next few days.. wish me luck

ReputationRep:
    I got through to the telephone interview stage as well seems like there might be quite a lot of applicants, I booked mine this morning and there were only 2 or 3 dates remaining, compared to about 15 last night!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm still waiting for a reply from my application stage..!
    I guess no news is good news...

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done a first round interview? I did mine last week but have yet to hear back.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.