Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This may be a bit lengthy, but I hope you guys could give me some good advice because I'm really unsure and worried about what to do.

I applied to KCL, Edinburgh, York, Sussex and Lancaster this year to study English Language and Linguistics. I'm now having second thoughts about this and really wished I'd applied for Sociology. I achieved AAA at AS (Eng Lang, Psych and Soc) and I really don't think I'd be happy studying Language for three years. So many of the Sociology courses seem more interesting, but I've been really successful with my UCAS application this year (all 5 offers) that I feel bad for just throwing it all away. Sociology isn't very popular...will it be available through Extra? I'm guessing that wouldnt work though - my PS is so heavily geared towards english language and linguistics.

My parents would get so angry about me doing this and I'm dreading telling them about it. They'll no doubt tell me that I'll have to go this year. They will hate the idea of me taking a year out. I also don't feel 100% ready for university, both financially and mentally. I know it sounds pathetic, but I think I just applied this year because it seemed like it was what everybody else was doing.

Anybody else dropped out and applied the following year? How does it work?

I was thinking of applying to Durham and LSE at the moment. The courses just look so much more exciting and interesting than my current ones.

ReputationRep:
    You're grades are certainly better suited for LSE etc. First you have to decide what to do for an entire year before you even think about dropping out.
    You could always email the admissions tutor to change your course. Provided you satisfy the requirements, I don't see why they wouldn't let you change.

ReputationRep:
    Why not apply through Ucas Extra for sociology? At least wait and see if any uni you'd apply to will come up. You can send the uni a new personal statement through email as well as your current application. I'm in the same situation having applied for Animation but changed my mind and now want to study Geography, my college mentor said it would be fine just explaining the situation to universities that will accept you through Extra, then emailing them a copy of your new statement.

ReputationRep:
    You could always switch courses at KCL and Edinburgh which are very good for sociology, I know that these univeristies are quite flexible for course changes especially if the courses are undersubscribed and I'm sure that for someone with your grades they would be willing to accomodate you.

I would go to KCL or Edinburgh and switch courses if that's what you really want.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar position i have offer from manchester and nottingham but im not keen on either :s

ReputationRep:
    Veggie your were applying to LSE right? what course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnKennedy)
    Veggie your were applying to LSE right? what course?
    government

ReputationRep:
    Three As at AS is not really better suited to LSE, it has to depend on all the other grades as well, plus the subjects. So i would recommend switching at King's or Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    I love english language and linguistics, and the topics you cover are so diverse I doubt you'd get bored, and sociolinguistics is a lot of sociology anyway. It's much more in depth than A Level English Language.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

Student on bed with laptop

All student accommodation articles

City guides and advice on finding the right place

Photo of apprentices

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A young woman talking to her mother

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.