Is it actually possible to go from an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I felt very ugly when I was at high school (12- 16) and was actually bullied because of it. But wierdly for the last 6 months since leaving school, getting my braces off, losing a little bit of weight, clearing spots, getting rid of school uniform, doing my hair different etc. has led to me getting more compliments, but I still feel ugly cause I don't think I can just STOP being ugly. I used to get told by people that "the ugly duckling will turn into a swan" but I don't think it's possible. If you're ugly you always will be right?

Also, if someone said you were an example of being an "ugly duckling" would you be offended or complimented?
Nidhogg_Rider
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I was just plain geeky like only half a year ago tbh, now i'm the complete opposite reallllllly.

So yeh, ugly ducklings and becomes swans too
shockcat
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
"ugly duckling into a beautiful swan"...plastic surgery?
ohgeezkaylarr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yessss. My friend is absolutely gorgeous but if you look at photographs of her when she was younger you can't even tell it's the same person.
If you're a girl, try getting your eyebrows professionally done. When eyebrows suit a persons face they just look a lot prettier. But yeah, it CAN happen.
ExDeusVenitBritannia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm no vet, but probably not.
watermelon sugar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
it happens a lot. people change during senior school and can come out looking completely different!
girl i know was lanky, had bad skin, long greasy hair.. then she grew some boobs, sorted out her skin, started washing & styling her hair and BOOM! she's seriously beautiful, and a working model.
i know lots of girls and guys who've gone from being really plain, or a little chubby with bad skin, to really good looking over the course of a year. it happens loads! sometimes you just grow out of it, sometimes it's a conscious effort
CertifiedAngel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yep someone very close to me used to be like that but by the time she was 16 she looked fantastic
samburke
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
definately, was probably one of the ugliest kids with glasses and whatnot but now im 17 and much better looking! one of the best in my school apparently!
pamelaa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Totally. It's all about effort.
*Star*Guitar*
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I changed quite a lot, and those that bullied me were suddenly showing too much interest for my liking.
A good haircut, correctly applied make-up, and good dress sense, plus condfidence, can improve things dramatically.
JoMo1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yep, happened to my sister, my best friend, my duckling, everyone but me!

Seriously, it can happen, over the course of 6 years I've changed from a shy, nerdy fat kid to a confident nerdy skinny kid - however people who've known you for a long time can find it hard to see how much you've changed without a big kick in the face by something and so their opinions can give you a false impression of yourself.

If you're getting compliments by guys that aren't repulsive - you're pretty - congratulations!
La Esmerelda
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That's not true. People can change. I mean if you're short when you're young, doesn't mean you can't be tall and the same goes with intelligence, happiness etc.
purple clouds
Report 9 years ago
no, no-ones ugly forever
and as for the ugly duckling things, it depends what stage of the ugly duckling they're referring to,:rolleyes:
Char_Devon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, you definitely can. Have you seen pictures of Kate Moss in highschool?
Windsprite
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
did you never finish the book :eek:?
yes yes :yep:
BettySwollocks
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It depends what it is about you that's ugly. If, like you said it was spots, braces, etc, then it is possible with a bit of styling. But some people just have ugly features. Harsh but true.
Anonymous #2
Report 9 years ago
of course it is! i think most people i know went through a dodgey patch at that age- it's went you're not too sure about fashion and taking care of your appearance, most of my mates look a lot better than when they were 12!
Mr_Steve_Stifler
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, i am an example of this.
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I felt very ugly when I was at high school (12- 16) and was actually bullied because of it. But wierdly for the last 6 months since leaving school, getting my braces off, losing a little bit of weight, clearing spots, getting rid of school uniform, doing my hair different etc. has led to me getting more compliments, but I still feel ugly cause I don't think I can just STOP being ugly. I used to get told by people that "the ugly duckling will turn into a swan" but I don't think it's possible. If you're ugly you always will be right?

Also, if someone said you were an example of being an "ugly duckling" would you be offended or complimented?
i dont believe in the word ugly

tis just a result of playground mentality that such a word exists

so we're all beautiful and it's just a case of getting your confidence up post school...sounds like you're doing well so keep up the good work

good luck
OoFaithoO
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't get me wrong, I'm no Tyra Banks or Beyonce...but I used to be quite ugly at the beginning of high school, no one was really interested in me until I was about 15 and by about 17 I knew what worked for me, clothing wise, hair wise makeup etc. It's all about learning what suits your body/face- younger years are for experimenting and parents guiding you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (296)
25.92%
Yes - they're famous (292)
25.57%
No I don't (554)
48.51%

Watched Threads