Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been on TSR for a few days now, & I've noticed that there seem to be loads of Oxbridge applicants on here, as opposed to other universities, and (as far as I've seen) relatively few applicants for some 'lower ranking' unis. Also loads of you want to do Medicine or Law, though I've seen hardly any 'media' or 'film studies' applicants. Also generally the 'predicted grades' for most people seem amazing. Are you all geniuses?
    Perhaps this is just the posts I've viewed...
    Has anyone else noticed this?
    Why do you think this is? Is it that the people with lower grades can't actually be bothered to worry about it/ask all these questions? Or are you just all paranoid 'cos you've worked so hard to get where you want to be?

Just wondered - don't want to start an argument !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geokitty)
    I've been on TSR for a few days now, & I've noticed that there seem to be loads of Oxbridge applicants on here, as opposed to other universities, and (as far as I've seen) relatively few applicants for some 'lower ranking' unis. Also loads of you want to do Medicine or Law, though I've seen hardly any 'media' or 'film studies' applicants. Also generally the 'predicted grades' for most people seem amazing. Are you all geniuses?
    Perhaps this is just the posts I've viewed...
    Has anyone else noticed this?
    Why do you think this is? Is it that the people with lower grades can't actually be bothered to worry about it/ask all these questions? Or are you just all paranoid 'cos you've worked so hard to get where you want to be?

Just wondered - don't want to start an argument !
    -waves hand in the air frantically-
    There are people interested in other things than Law or Medicine who aren't applying to Oxbridge on here!
    Like me! I've applied for media.
    I've seen a few others on here who have applied for media, film studies, journalism, etc.
    I'm guessing it is probably because Law and Medicine applicants and those who have applied to Oxbridge flood to TSR to ask questions and get help because of how stressful it must be to deal with knowing how competitive their chosen courses are.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, there are loads of people who don't apply for Law or Medicine on here. And the reason everyone seems so smart (with regards to predicted grades as well as articulacy) is that primarily only smart(er) people would want to come on here and talk with fellow students and get help with work. Obviously these generalisations are not exclusive.

ReputationRep:
    less vocal =/= less of them.

ReputationRep:
    to be fair, people who get bad grades are hardly the sort to spend their free time on a students' forum are they?

There are loads of people who don't apply for Law or Medicine or Oxbridge.

The only reason you think there are more applicants for Law and Medicine is because the procedures for these courses are different to other courses for example doing the LNAT, what is the LNAT and things like that so people want to find out about these confusing procedures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    to be fair, people who get bad grades are hardly the sort to spend their free time on a students' forum are they?
    Bit of a generalization, don't you think?
    Then again, there is always a seed of truth within generalizations.

ReputationRep:
    t.

ReputationRep:
    :yep:

Exactly

ReputationRep:
    Kids who dont care about work and get bad grades are much more less likely to want to spend their free time on a forum discussing things with students than high achievers. This forum is insanely unreperesentative and this has some negative effects (like making anything non oxbridge look like a terrible uni sometimes). This forum would indicate that half of applicants or something apply to oxbridge which is of course insanely wrong

ReputationRep:
    I originally came on here looking for a bit of advice to do with my application and trying to find other people who where applying for the same degree, though I'm not applying for oxbridge and would never desire to, I think people have similar thoughts, just like to come on and get a bit of advice and that really, and I think people who are very clever, applying to oxbridge and that, are more likely to come on here. Since my first thread to do with my ucas I just decided to stay You're right though, alot of people on here ave 8A's at a level and are going oxbridge :p:. But I'm not like that at all

ReputationRep:
    I've been here for a day and noticed that.
    I guess a lot of people don't enjoy spending their evenings floundering their futures!

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people who come to TSR tend to be academic work-types anyway since the forum is related to work and studies.

ReputationRep:
    It's coz we want to look all pretentious like :p:. Nah, think the nail has thoroughly had its head hit. Plus a bit of boasting. Always gotta have a bit of boasting it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy :p:. Sorry, in a funny mood, exam tomorrow and can't physically force myself to do anymore revision even though I know none of it...argh...

phil.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad you're not all Oxbridge applicants ! Not that I've got anything against you geniuses, but I was beginning to feel a bit inferior (and a bit worried about what my predicted/actual grades are going to be)!

ReputationRep:
    The other day at school, when discussing university preparation, I mentioned this forum. Everyone else in my class just kind of smirked when I said it. Within my class, I am the only oxbridge applicant, and the others seem to deem it a bit too much like school for when they're at home.

I'm sure if they knew what it was genuinely like, they might come on, but just by the name, they're put off.

That's just one example I guess, but it kind of demonstrates the point: that often, the people who see thestudentroom as interesting are the people who will use it to aid their education (and will be more likely to acheive better grades to be able to apply to top courses/universities).

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure that anyone who gets accepted in oxbridge has one thing in common with most oxbridge students. They all visit tsr.

ReputationRep:
    I will freely admit that I joined TSR because I was paranoid about my application, yes! :P
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Geokitty)
    I'm glad you're not all Oxbridge applicants ! Not that I've got anything against you geniuses, but I was beginning to feel a bit inferior (and a bit worried about what my predicted/actual grades are going to be)!
    I think the term 'genius' (with all due respect to my fellow Oxbridge students, incoming and present) could be applied to few people on here. It's a term that gets generally overused and whilst we're all of/above a certain level of intelligence, it doesn't mean we're all geniuses! I'm certainly not a genius

Like people have said, the application system is stressful and people have questions about it. The fact that there are colleges means there are extra choices involved. Plus people hear so many myths and this panics people and they want reassurance about their grades, snobbery, private school intake, etc.

ReputationRep:
    tbh non-academic people aren't students so would they be on tsr?

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.