Fat stereotypes and class. Watch

Windsprite
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago

Do you believe that "society's" physical preferences are associated with class?

For example:
In richer countries, it seems that it’s undesirable to be larger in size as it’s associated with working class families; anorexia nervosa is most commonly found in middle class women (maybe) trying to escape that image.

However in less wealthy countries, larger curvy woman are seen as desirable as this is associated with wealth and good nutrition ("higher class" ), whereas the skinny (model-like) among them are mocked ("lower class" )?

Is it fair that as soon as something is associated with a lower class it becomes undesirable, and is this always the case?
MichaelG
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
of course its not fair, but thats how social class works.
CertifiedAngel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The real question is why is it that when one person makes a threada bout a certain topic 5 more threads about the same thing are created :sigh:

Though yours is the best one of the sort so far.
Zastrugi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You don't develop anorexia because you think that you'll be seen as lower class if you're fat.
Windsprite
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zastrugi)
You don't develop anorexia because you think that you'll be seen as lower class if you're fat.
I agree but I believe it's perhaps linked to socitey's subliminal pressures.
Darkness and Mist
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In the UK tan, was originally a sign of wealth, being able to go abroad and lounge in the sun etc so tan became desireable hence fake tans. In India tan is associated with being outside doing menial labour, being pale is more desirable there, and indeed 'fake pale' is as popular as fake tan is here :yes:

Yes it is often the case that wealth is attractive, and why wouldnt it be, life is unfair and we all seek to better our lives, this is part of human existence.

However I dont know how your example works since when were poor people on average fat? If anything it should be the other way round, and in the past this was often the case.
Windsprite
Rep:
?
(Original post by Darkness and Mist)
In the UK tan, was originally a sign of wealth, being able to go abroad and lounge in the sun etc so tan became desireable hence fake tans. In India tan is associated with being outside doing menial labour, being pale is more desirable there, and indeed 'fake pale' is as popular as fake tan is here :yes:

Yes it is often the case that wealth is attractive. however I dont know how your example works since when were poor people on average fat?
In the UK there is an increasing amount of overweight people in the "working class" sector associated with cheap fatty foods such as from fast-food restaurants, poor diet education.....
Darkness and Mist
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Windsprite)
In the UK there is an increasing amount of overweight people in the "working class" sector associated with cheap fatty foods such as from fast-food restaurants, poor diet education.....

An increasing amount yes, but the fondness for slim women has been around for a long time, not just since the begining of the 'obesity epidemic'. and these problems actually effect all classes.
Windsprite
Rep:
?
(Original post by Darkness and Mist)
An increasing amount yes, but the fondness for slim women has been around for a long time, not just since the begining of the 'obesity epidemic'. and these problems actually effect all classes.
no thats not true, if you look back at old paintings the epitome of female perfection was depicted by larger woman with chubby stomachs and small breasts, society's pressures are dynamic and defined by "the people".
User237126
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My view on this is simple: in the 1800's our nationa "image" was a man called John Bull, who was fat and this represented British prosperity. Now though we've come to realise that being fat is actually bad for you (not that being anorexic isnt of course- in some ases it's worse). That said, I'd describe myself as being upper-middle class and I've never met any anorexic girls, so I don't wuite understand where you got that idea from. Plus, the reason most poorer people are fat is because of the cheap ****** food they eat which is bad for them health-wise, but money-wise is their best option, so they gt fat. simple
Darkness and Mist
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Windsprite)
no thats not true, if you look back at old paintings the epitome of female perfection was depicted by larger woman with chubby stomachs and small breasts, society's pressures are dynamic and defined by "the people".
I was talking about like the 70s not before :p: . There was a logical reason for people liking big women before that, it was a sign of wealth and indicated that people wanted women that were best for childbearing.

I dont think there is any correlation between class and eating disorders. I would say that, if anything, it is because people want to be like the wealthy not because they dont want to be poor people, I dont think the problem with obesity among the working classes is anywhere near bad enough and out of sync with the rest of the population for your OP.

Though in principle I agree with you class does make a difference. :yes:
SoundDevastation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Its undesirable to be unhealthy... in rich countries unhealthy usually means fat, whereas in poorer countries unhealthy usually means thin.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.65%
No (667)
60.69%
Not really bothered about them (227)
20.66%

Watched Threads