Turn on thread page Beta

Uni Grants/Loans, Rep Available watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'm likely to get a full maintenance grant because my parents joint earnings are £17,000 a year. Full grant is £2906.
    When I apply for a maintenance loan, I'm guaranteed 75% and the other 25% is means tested. This will mean I get at least £3712, it's 75% of the full loan.

Uni bursary = £1000.

This, added up will leave me with £7618, once I've taken away accommodation that's £3401 for the year. That's £87 a week.

Can someone tell me, does this sound wrong? Lol it sounds like too much to me! Am I getting something wrong, am I likely to be entitled to less, etc.
    And I'm discluding the Student Fees Loan from all of this

Thanks, I'll rep whoever gives the best reply!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    if you are eligible for the larger grant, they reduced the total loan you could have, i believe..

my 'rents were on less than that, and i was eligible for the full grant, total support was £9345 with £3145 of that tuition.
    the higher the grant, the less the loan, upto 1.3k i believe..

so, if you had 3k of maintenece loan, then had another 3k grant, they would reduce your maximum loan by £1, for every £1 you have of grant, upto £1200, then you start getting more money overall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolatedTreason)
    if you are eligible for the larger grant, they reduced the total loan you could have, i believe..
    But it says 75% is definitely allowed, on the website... does that mean they can change their minds? :eek:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The maximum loan will be less if you have the full grant

ReputationRep:
    Nope, that doesn't sound wrong at all. I had a similar amount left over when I deducted my accommodation fees from the total student loan, and I got the full maintenance grant and loan, as do you.

Just make sure that you have allowed for the three/four months of summer holiday, as well as the christmas and easter holidays. You should be well set for the year.

ReputationRep:
    Are they not changing the student finance this year?
    like, I haven't read into it. but I thought it was going to be completly different to last year?
    xx

ReputationRep:
    they may substitue part of the the loan as part of your grant, it happened to me, i think

ReputationRep:
    dude I had a budget of £130 a week and I got the the whole sha-bang of loan, grant etc, it was really weird

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natcarr88)
    Nope, that doesn't sound wrong at all. I had a similar amount left over when I deducted my accommodation fees from the total student loan, and I got the full maintenance grant and loan, as do you.

Just make sure that you have allowed for the three/four months of summer holiday, as well as the christmas and easter holidays. You should be well set for the year.
    Aha yeah, I forgot I need money in the hols :p: Lol Thanks for reminding me! I should be fine, since I don't drink :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Redpanda91)
    But it says 75% is definitely allowed, on the website... does that mean they can change their minds? :eek:
    the 75% of loan is for those on MAX grant, the lesser your grant, the more you can get in Loan. if you have no grant, you get 100% loan
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    lemme explain better, for me this was the case,

the largest loan i could take out, with no grant.. was £4800. 75% of that was guaranteed, so £3600

if i had a grant upto the value of £1200, i would recieve a sum total, of £4800, even if i was on £500 grant, the loan would top me up to £4800

however, if my grant was >£1200, then my total support would be >£4800 i.e £1500 grant.. i would recieve a total of £5100 in support.. total,

ReputationRep:
    lemme explain better, for me this was the case,

the largest loan i could take out, with no grant.. was £4800. 75% of that was guaranteed, so £3600

if i had a grant upto the value of £1200, i would recieve a sum total, of £4800, even if i was on £500 grant, the loan would top me up to £4800

however, if my grant was >£1200, then my total support would be >£4800 i.e £1500 grant.. i would recieve a total of £5100 in support.. total,
    So did you get £4800, or £4800 plus grant? Sorry I'm very slow and bad at maths :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Redpanda91)
    So did you get £4800, or £4800 plus grant? Sorry I'm very slow and bad at maths :p:
    £4800 + value of grant-£1200

ReputationRep:
    £4800 + value of grant-£1200
    Ooh! So you got £3600 loan, and plus the grant it was £4800, and so the 25% means tested you didn't get?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    no..

right, i personally got a 3.6k loan, and a 2.8k grant, but if i had got a less than 1.2k grant, my loan would have been higher..

the more grant you get, the less laon you get essentially

ReputationRep:
    Actually, for 09/10 it will be 72/38 Non-Income/Income assessed on the maintenance loan.

In the 08/09 year, the maximum maintenance loan was reduced by £1 for every £1 of maintenance grant you received, upto a maximum of £1260. Therefore, most students who received the elsewhere rate and qualified for the maintenance grant received £3365 in loan and £2835 in grant.

ReputationRep:
    no..

right, i personally got a 3.6k loan, and a 2.8k grant, but if i had got a less than 1.2k grant, my loan would have been higher..

the more grant you get, the less laon you get essentially
    So you ended up with 6.4k altogether... So was the 3.6k 75% of the loan you could get? And you couldn't get more because you got the full grant?

Eek I think I'm mathematically challenged

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taiko)
    Actually, for 09/10 it will be 72/38 Non-Income/Income assessed on the maintenance loan.

In the 08/09 year, the maximum maintenance loan was reduced by £1 for every £1 of maintenance grant you received, upto a maximum of £1260. Therefore, most students who received the elsewhere rate and qualified for the maintenance grant received £3365 in loan and £2835 in grant.
    Gotcha, the higher the grant, the lower the loan, but the loan couldn't go lower than £3365 in last year's case?

And also, would the uni bursary be less the higher the grant I receive? Say if Sussex uni bursary is £1000, I'd only get a bit of it?

ReputationRep:
    The bursary is usually higher the more grant you receive. I know it is with Sussex, with them being one of our local universities and the majority of our students going there.

The loan could be lower if you're on the parental rate and getting full grant, basically depends where you were living.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thankyou very much, that means I'll have more than enough to live on!

What is a parental rate? :o: I feel so stupid :p:

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.