The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4000
piece_by_piece
No, I didn't mean it like that. Even if you are a genius they still might not take you. If you're a genius with no passion for your subject then what's the point in applying because you probably won't get accepted?

Agree exactly
Reply 4001
hello all.
I'd love to go to Cambridge and not Oxford, and since my mum won't let out of London guess thats a no for me..

But I can see that plenty of people on here have really good grades, and A PASSION for what they do, so whose stopping them from getting a place? :dontknow:
:clap2:

so true piece...
Reply 4004
if they don't like you and they don't want you then you're out.:tongue:

as piece said it depends on your passion for the subject.
It does, to a certain extent. I mean, are you in it because you have a passion and a love for acting, or are you in it for a gold statue? I'd rather do something that I love purely out of a love for doing it, rather then just doing it for the sake of being compensated with a trinkette...
Reply 4006
natty_d
I'd love to go to Cambridge and not Oxford, and since my mum won't let out of London guess thats a no for me..

But I can see that plenty of people on here have really good grades, and A PASSION for what they do, so whose stopping them from getting a place? :dontknow:

huh?
Does Oxford have a Film program? No, right?

Does it have an English Lit program? Yes.

Will they take somebody that's done Media and Business, even though they did them along with English Lit and History? Don't think so.
Reply 4008
natty_d

aww you're not allowed outta london?
my mum questioned why i wanted to move out for uni...she accused me wanting to do "bad things" - getting drunk, taking things & going out til late.
led-zep-amh-121191
It does, to a certain extent. I mean, are you in it because you have a passion and a love for acting, or are you in it for a gold statue? I'd rather do something that I love purely out of a love for doing it, rather then just doing it for the sake of being compensated with a trinkette...

No, but you can have a passion for what you do and want to be recognised at the same time....

No professional in any industry is going to say that they don't want to be at the top of their game. Wanting to win prestigious awards is natural.

Being different doesn't equal cool.

And an Oscar isn't a trinket. It's a sign that you've absolutely reached the pinnacle of your industry, that you did something that put you right at the top. It'd be absolutely amazing to realise that people (especially the people who decide on the Oscars!) thought what you did was worthy of that much recognition. It's a symbol.
Malsi101
huh?

I have to go to a london uni.... but I think Cambridge is better than Oxford. obv thats a personal opinion...
You have a point.
lozz2601
No, but you can have a passion for what you do and want to be recognised at the same time....

No professional in any industry is going to say that they don't want to be at the top of their game. Wanting to win prestigious awards is natural.

Being different doesn't equal cool.

And an Oscar isn't a trinket. It's a sign that you've absolutely reached the pinnacle of your industry, that you did something that put you right at the top. It'd be absolutely amazing to realise that people (especially the people who decide on the Oscars!) thought what you did was worthy of that much recognition. It's a symbol.

But I can see myself (being the scientist I am) ending up in career that doens't have many prospects and is badly paid (because I don't want to manage) but I'm not too bothered....as long as I can get by...because I love it!
I might try for durham...but if I were to end up on the stockon campus then theres no point (and also no chance....) I only live about 45mins away and its a S**thole......really is!

hehe

Wouldn't get into oxford or cambridge though :frown:
I'm not a good enough person and my GCSE grades aren't amezzing enough
raceforthefishman
But I can see myself (being the scientist I am) ending up in career that doens't have many prospects and is badly paid (because I don't want to manage) but I'm not too bothered....as long as I can get by...because I love it!

And that's great!

But equally, if you were offered some sort of international recognition for that job, I'm guessing you'd take it in a heartbeat.

Acting requires a lot of dedication - think of the drama schools, the endless auditions - I hardly think that anyone would do that if they didn't really love it.
And also, argh, Oxbridge.
Lozz, you're saying this to somebody that, hopefully, one day, might just be able to break in to the Film Industry. I realize that Oscars are not just trinkets, in fact they're just as you said, a symbol of the utmost recognition. However, are you in it for Oscars, or in it to say something, and make a statement, and to actually contribute something to the Film world, rather just up your game? Think about the cinema, and think about trying to add to the fabric of the film world that will be remembered and respected and understood. Don't just make movies because they're Oscar worthy. Some of the best films, some of the best actors and actresses out there haven't won Oscars, but does that make them any less special? No, it doesn't.
lozz2601
And that's great!

But equally, if you were offered some sort of international recognition for that job, I'm guessing you'd take it in a heartbeat.

Acting requires a lot of dedication - think of the drama schools, the endless auditions - I hardly think that anyone would do that if they didn't really love it.

Yeah, agreed to both

I think with acting you have to have the passion to keep on trying...I think you have to be lucky enough to be spotted as a talent out of all the hopfuls....cutthroat!
Intriguing...
still not interested though!!! :smile:

aaaaah weell!
Stanley Kubrick didn't win an Oscar for his directing, but he's considered by many to be the greatest filmmaker of all time.

Martin Scorsese, been in the film industry for years, only won an Oscar for the Departed two years ago, and this man is responsible for some of the best films ever made.

Alfred Hitchcock, the master of suspense, never won an Oscar, but yet his films are masterpieces.

Terry Gilliam, a master of the surreal, never won an Oscar.

Paul Thomas Anderson, has been nominated five times, and came close to winning for There Will Be Blood but lost out to the Coens, has not won an Oscar.

Latest