The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Melting Sugar.
Yeah I thought i'd heard that somewhere too.. but I haven't found anything offical that has said that yet..

:five:

"The Struggle for Identity in Modern Literature"?
If so that's me.

I've done a bit. But I still need to read a few more so that I can make sure i've got wider reading that will cover a lot of different topics..

:ditto:

Please, please, please, PLEASE read A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams. It's part of the wider reading (I'm currently doing it for coursework with Top Girls). It's amazing! Oner of the best things you'll ever read, I'm sure. So, so, so interesting, and so much to talk about! I love it!

READ IT!

:tongue:
:hi:
hiii
Reply 6883
this is a rant & also if you read HELP:

basically my school are bastards and im only allowed to resit Economics & C1 in June. Sociology has to wait til Jan '10.
So I went to my Economics teacher and she refused to sign my permission slip to resit & was a general bitch about it. She said you will not get a good grade as you would in Jan '10 because you will have covered Micro-economics at A2 by then which is fair enough, but then I have to put a **** grade down on my UCAS. Same with Maths...

basically, do you risk putting crap grades on UCAS for Uni's to see, or risk it all in June and not get as good of a grade?
led-zep-amh-121191
:ditto:

Please, please, please, PLEASE read A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams. It's part of the wider reading (I'm currently doing it for coursework with Top Girls). It's amazing! Oner of the best things you'll ever read, I'm sure. So, so, so interesting, and so much to talk about! I love it!

READ IT!

:tongue:

Really! I'm doing Death of a Salesman with Top Girls for my coursework :p: (did it for GCSE so I thought it would be stupid to let those notes go to waste when I found out we could use it for coursework).

I'm planning on reading The Bell Jar next, so i'll read A Streetcar Named Desire after that :smile:

It's a drama text isn't it?
:hi: everyone
Good days?

dammit had task 1 and 2 of biology EMPA today
why am I so blazé about practical work --- me = FAIL
oh well!
:biggrin:
Melting Sugar.
Really! I'm doing Death of a Salesman with Top Girls for my coursework :p: (did it for GCSE so I thought it would be stupid to let those notes go to waste when I found out we could use it for coursework).

I'm planning on reading The Bell Jar next, so i'll read A Streetcar Named Desire after that :smile:

It's a drama text isn't it?

Oh, DOAS! Read that over Christmas! Loved it. Willy Loman - such a sad, tragic man. R.I.P. :tongue:

I've been meaning to read the Bell Jar. If it's on the wider reading list, I'll give it a bell. And, yes, Streetcar is a drama text, but it's amazing.

Top Girls, on the other hand, I HATE IT! Maybe it's because I'm a bloke and it's a very feminine story, but, meh, gender should have nothing to do with what is or is not a good story. A good story should appeal to members of both genders, not just one, but that's just me...

EDIT: I just realized that I used the expression "give it a bell" when talking about the Bell Jar! :lolz: I didn't do it on purpose, it's just one of those things that sort of happened. lol. I'm trying to use different expressions for different things, rather than just the usual, boring. But, meh...
led-zep-amh-121191
Oh, DOAS! Read that over Christmas! Loved it. Willy Loman - such a sad, tragic man. R.I.P. :tongue:

I've been meaning to read the Bell Jar. If it's on the wider reading list, I'll give it a bell. And, yes, Streetcar is a drama text, but it's amazing.

Top Girls, on the other hand, I HATE IT! Maybe it's because I'm a bloke and it's a very feminine story, but, meh, gender should have nothing to do with what is or is not a good story. A good story should appeal to members of both genders, not just one, but that's just me...

EDIT: I just realized that I used the expression "give it a bell" when talking about the Bell Jar! :lolz: I didn't do it on purpose, it's just one of those things that sort of happened. lol. I'm trying to use different expressions for different things, rather than just the usual, boring. But, meh...

Nah, I don't think its a guy thing as I know a lot of girls who "hated" it!

I think a lot of them were pretty disturbed by the.. finger and blood.. incident..

The Bell Jar is definately on the reading list.. if its not then our teachers are idiots because they've been encouraging us to read it quite actively (we had a lesson on it last week and i've seen some extracts which have made me think it doesn't sound too bad :tongue)

Give it a bell.. oh dear.. :p:

We're also doing The Handmaid's Tale for the second coursework. Have you started the second coursework yet?

edit: oh and I only pointed out that it is a drama text because our teachers were asking us if we'd any other drama texts other than the coursework pieces (they want us to have wider reading that aren't all novels)
led-zep-amh-121191

I have a friend who read the belll jar -- loved it, but thought the story was too much like her own life

constructive comment for you there :ninja:
raceforthefishman
I have a friend who read the belll jar -- loved it, but thought the story was too much like her own life

constructive comment for you there :ninja:

haha it sounds good.. it was semi-autobiographical and the author had to post under a pseudonym
Reply 6890
:excited:
Reply 6891
:excited:
dead thread. lets wake it up
Reply 6892
lozz2601
Is it true that if you re-take, you can't get an A*?
I heard that somewhere.

Nah I don't think it is true...

But it would be better if it was the case tbh.
v1oXx-
Nah I don't think it is true...

But it would be better if it was the case tbh.

Oh, okay. Cos two of my friends had heard the same thing, and they don't use TSR?
Reply 6894
is moments M1 meant to not be that hard or something :shifty:
Reply 6895
jaz_jaz
is moments M1 meant to not be that hard or something :shifty:

The January M1 paper was so hard that a person in my form class missed out an 11 mark question and still got 100/100! :eek:

Mechanics is hard!
Reply 6896
well, not as hard as the rest...:s-smilie: hope i havent spoken too soon.
Reply 6897
jaz_jaz
this is a rant & also if you read HELP:

basically my school are bastards and im only allowed to resit Economics & C1 in June. Sociology has to wait til Jan '10.
So I went to my Economics teacher and she refused to sign my permission slip to resit & was a general bitch about it. She said you will not get a good grade as you would in Jan '10 because you will have covered Micro-economics at A2 by then which is fair enough, but then I have to put a **** grade down on my UCAS. Same with Maths...

basically, do you risk putting crap grades on UCAS for Uni's to see, or risk it all in June and not get as good of a grade?

In a sense doing mirco-economics at A2 (which is business economics and covers some very interesting content/diagrams etc...) will give a lot more knowledge of microeconomics and it'll make the simple diagrams covering supply and demand seem very simple and will make most the elasticities calculations seem a walk in the park... so doing it in Jan will probably mean you'll get a better grade, whereas doing it in June means you'll go into the exam with the same knowledge as you have now so I can understand where your teacher is coming from....

On the other hand, your teacher should consider your UCAS!!
Reply 6898
v1oXx-
The January M1 paper was so hard that a person in my form class missed out an 11 mark question and still got 100/100! :eek:

Mechanics is hard!

Mechanics is a bloody joke.
I thought you did Stats?
Reply 6899
v1oXx-
In a sense doing mirco-economics at A2 (which is business economics and covers some very interesting content/diagrams etc...) will give a lot more knowledge of microeconomics and it'll make the simple diagrams covering supply and demand seem very simple and will make most the elasticities calculations seem a walk in the park... so doing it in Jan will probably mean you'll get a better grade, whereas doing it in June means you'll go into the exam with the same knowledge as you have now so I can understand where your teacher is coming from....

On the other hand, your teacher should consider your UCAS!!

so what do i do? :frown:
I have to hand the resit form in by end of week and I really have NO idea.
what if the uni's reject me bcos of my AS grades?

Latest