Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, i've applied to do Geography and to cut it short, sort of changed my mind and now want to do Geography and Economics. Clearly not a dramatic change but would it be easy to do so? I thought of applying for this but now see the error of my ways as i like both Geography and Economics too much. Already have an offer from Sheffield for Geography so would this help. Just cant see myself not doing both. Gap year maybe and reapply? The only thing is, for Economics you need a level maths and i only have GCSE at grade B so my choices are limited? Any help would be great

ReputationRep:
    You could contact Sheffield and ask whether they would consider you for a course change, but as you have said, you don't have A level maths which is a requirement. Therefore they are more than likely going to say no.

Your other options are to check out what courses are available in extra when this starts in about a month. See if there are any courses you're interested in which don't require A level maths. If there are, you can then reject your current offers and then apply for the one in extra. Then you could do the same with clearing - ie: leave your application open and then go directly into clearing. But you might not get very far if all the courses are needing A level maths. I guess you could ask at school whether they would let you enter the A level maths exams in June and self teach the course (this depends how confident you are in your abilities) in which case you could inform the universities that you're now also taking maths. But this would be a lot of work to do at once alongside your other subjects. You might find some courses would accept AS maths though, which could be an option.

Then yes, your option then is to take a gap year and take A level maths during the year in order to satisfy entry requirements for applying next year.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/prospectu...?id=3637752009

You dont need a maths alevel just GCSE grade B.

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing the BA, I'd be surprised if you needed an A Level in Maths. In fact, now I've read the thread, I can see that you don't! The Maths on the BA course isn't too difficult. If you're a bit out of practise then there's a chance you'll need to sit down with the book for a bit and work things out, but nothing that should be beyond your reach. I'd ring them up if I were you, a gap year is a long time out to take unnecessarily and could come back to haunt you in interviews if you don't offer good reasons for taking it. Work out why you want to change, why you didn't apply originally, just have the answers ready in case, be polite and they could very well work something out

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it will be fine. I was considering swapping to geog+econ if I end up at Sheffield in September so it's funny you should make this thread.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.