Would tolerant people never say anything to cause offence? Watch

WarmEye
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
As a tolerant person, would you say something that would cause offence to another person? For instance critisice a religion etc. And would this make you less tolerant?
EmmaDilemma
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeh I make opinions all the time.. sometimes I upset people but we may aswell embrace our rights to free speech XD
Everyone is going to have different beliefs anyway theres no point in locking them up if you don't feel somethings right.
lodzinski
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
im not that tolerant. though I love people who are 'lactose intolerant' makes me think of them kicking over pints of milk, and standing on a corner with a sign saying 'cheeses go back home'
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I suppose I would try to word the critical statement non-offensively. Most people, save the fanatics and extremists, are willing to listen to other people's views as long as they are given sensibly.
BJack
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm as tolerant as can be reasonably expected, yet I fancy I cause offence frequently.
Mr. MadMonkey
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wouldn't do it on purpose. Things slip my tongue a little more often than I'd like though >_>
Cowtipper
Badges: 12
Report 9 years ago
Only emasculated people would never say things that might conceivably cause offense.
I am tolerant to a point, but I do believe in telling the honest truth.
username33685
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
tolerating something doesn't mean you have to agree with it.
WarmEye
Rep:
?
So do you guys believe that a tolerant person doesn't have to respect other people's views?
amani-puresapphire
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
im tolerant but you cannot tolerate things 24/7 it depends on the mood/situation etc.
ajb91
Report 9 years ago
You can be as critical as you like about people's views - just respect the person's freedom to have whatever view they like. If people never criticised other's beliefs where would we be?
I believe we shouldn't deliberately try to offend other people, but at the same time don't tiptoe around an issue just because you're scared of offending someone.
Mask Of Sanity
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm pretty tolerant, unless I actually intend on causing offence or by mistake.
The Bachelor
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
"Tolerant" is just one of those words people toss around - and, quite frankly, abuse - in order to get other people to shut up so that they won't be challenged. Because of this, I don't care whether someone finds me "intolerant".
Cowtipper
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by WarmEye)
So do you guys believe that a tolerant person doesn't have to respect other people's views?
No. That is a weak person.
A tolerant person respects the right of said person to hold their views, but does not necessarily agree with or respect the views themselves.
illusione
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Tolerance is about being prepared to acknowledge the right of other people to hold their own views, not about being afraid to express your own.

While going out of your way to be offensive, or saying things you know will offend is evidently not a particularly tolerant way to behave, no matter how tolerant you are and how diplomatically you express yourself, there will always be people who will take offence at your disagreeing with them.
WarmEye
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Bachelor)
"Tolerant" is just one of those words people toss around - and, quite frankly, abuse - in order to get other people to shut up so that they won't be challenged. Because of this, I don't care whether someone finds me "intolerant".
What do you mean people toss it around? Do you mean when religious (no offence) people say for instance "oh you're not tolerant of my belief therefore I'm not going to refute you"?
The Bachelor
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What do you mean people toss it around? Do you mean when religious (no offence) people say for instance "oh you're not tolerant of my belief therefore I'm not going to refute you"?
More like when anyone says "you're not tolerant of my beliefs / you lack tolerance / you are intolerant!" and expect others to automatically be scared. Basically, when they take advantage of the social stigma attached to that word to intimidate other people.
WarmEye
Rep:
?
Ah I see. I never knew what tolerant meant up until a week ago.
The Bachelor
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ah I see. I never knew what tolerant meant up until a week ago.
It no longer means anything, thanks to excessive abuse of the word. The most accurate meaning out there right now is probably "I'm complaining and I want you to be scared."
Fandellos
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
well most tolerant people are human, so they are bound to say something offensive at least once.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.82%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (223)
40.55%
Nope, not that interesting (218)
39.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed