How was the holocaust allowed to happen ? Watch

spex
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Having just watched bbc drama "the diary of anne frank" it really touched a nerve with how on earth the anyone could have let this black spot on humanity's history happen. And the term "black spot" is the mother of all euphemisms here... 6 million dead is a figure i've heard a lot but never really thought about, and then this one person's account made me aware that every single one of those people murdered had a life that was so cruelly snatched from them. And for what? Didn't anybody with the means to do something about it think that this was grossly wrong ? The table below is simply horrifying.

After 90% of everyone jewish goes missing, someone somewhere must have realised what was going on, and perhaps taken steps to prevent it - a stray sniper's bullet or a sly piece of explosive ? Surely other nations with the resources they had could have stopped hitler before it got that far. He was after all the figurehead for all of the nazi ideals. Cut him out and you're left with a bunch of sheep...

Apparently antisemitism was the big thing in those days anyway, but even if you detest a race that much, to have women and children and men alike gassed like animals is too much.

Of course, i don't know all the facts, and it's easy to criticise with the benefit of hindsight, but just how the hell was adolf allowed to treat the jews so barbarically for so many years with so little resistance ?
Cyclone33
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Because Adolf Hitler was powerful and a ****.
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
At least 15 attempts were made upon Hitler's life*, many of them by Germans and people high up in the German army (who weren't happy with "Hitler's Germany" ). Yet all of them failed, because he was so well protected and the chain of command was so well planned out to protect against mutiny.

*Yes, I have just watched Valkyrie. OP, if you're interested in learning a bit about how the Germans tried to resist Hitler, this would be a good place to start.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There's something quite admirable about the sheer scale of the Nazis' evilness. I mean, that's a ******* accomplishment and a half there. God only knows how they managed it.
orionmoo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well we were at war with them... I would call that something to try and stop it, even if their main aim wasn't to stop the holocaust..
Bagration
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Because the Jews could not resist. Look up "Armia Krajowa" or the "Warsaw Uprising" to see what people (i.e. poles) do when they figure out they're being genocided and are able to resist. By 1944 Armia Krajowa had 400,000 armed resistance members, although they were mostly Poles.
Mr_Steve_Stifler
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
There's something quite admirable about the sheer scale of the Nazis' evilness. I mean, that's a ******* accomplishment and a half there. God only knows how they managed it.

It's just a shame that it was Germans that did it, because they're goddamn efficient. If it was an Italian operation i doubt it would've been 10% of the Jews killed lmao.
kiss_me_now9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
"When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.
When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out."
Serious44789
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
"How was the holocaust allowed to happen ?"

It wasn't, there was a war, read anything about that?

And did you know MANY people of authority didn't want to kill Hitler? After all he did bring the downfall of the Nazi Party with his invasion of Russia, if a more military aware individual had control of Germany they could have very well made it much, much worse.
bass_belle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think people where scared that if they stood up to hitler they would also be sent to the camps.
I remember in primary school, we had a visit by Eva Schloss. She is the step sister of ann frank.
I remember her saying she was taken to chambers and it would either be water or gas that came out and if it was gas that came out, you didnt.
I was just looking at pictures and they just look skeletons with skin! Its very shocking images.
username239687
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The nazi's were obviously evil blah blah blah.

But damn, there's something charming about their army. So organised and efficient, shame they were so evil
illusione
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Propaganda is a terrifyingly powerful thing. Especially when used on desperate people.
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RightSaidJames)
At least 15 attempts were made upon Hitler's life*, many of them by Germans and people high up in the German army (who weren't happy with "Hitler's Germany" ). Yet all of them failed, because he was so well protected and the chain of command was so well planned out to protect against mutiny.

*Yes, I have just watched Valkyrie. OP, if you're interested in learning a bit about how the Germans tried to resist Hitler, this would be a good place to start.
I disagree; Stauffenberg had motives which certainly aren't portrayed in that film. The film doesn't show any real motivation of the actions of the bomb plotters, which certainly wasn't as altruistic as it was implied in the film (imo). It shows exactly what happened, but not the true motivation behind it, which certainly wasn't solely "Hitler iz evil".
lodzinski
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Genocide is remarkably easy when you are ostensibly the government. They had germany covered by the start of the war pretty much, and immediately upon going into poland, set up stutthof to imprison (but not murder) the troublemakers. As a dictatorship, they controlled the media and hid the details, hence why the attempts on hitler were confined to the internal elements largely. Add into that the fact that the Germans were a hugely powerful military force - as bagration rightly points out, the armia krajowa, the polish resistance/liberation force, could not match the huge might of the well drilled, and far better equipped german army. The presence of infrastructure (rail lines, roads etc) and ghettos made movement of large numbers of people easier than ever, as did ig farben's efficient gas.

Bear in mind though, It was not just jews. slavs, gypsies, homosexuals, intellectuals, anyone 'subversive' etc were imprisoned and often killed.
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
I disagree; Stauffenberg had motives which certainly aren't portrayed in that film. The film doesn't show any real motivation of the actions of the bomb plotters, which certainly wasn't as altruistic as it was implied in the film (imo). It shows exactly what happened, but not the true motivation behind it, which certainly wasn't solely "Hitler iz evil".
Well yeah, I realise that it's not an accurate character portrayal (loveable Tom Cruise wasn't really believable as Stauffenberg), but, like you said, it does tell you what happened, and I said it was a place to start.
MrsIpod
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by orionmoo)
Well we were at war with them... I would call that something to try and stop it, even if their main aim wasn't to stop the holocaust..
Im not saying you're wrong, just making a point which is sort of related to yours

Have any of you seen how many Jews were actually allowed to stay in our country? In other countries in Europe?

There was a quota for how many Jews would be allowed asylum, and as far as I'm aware our country didn't make a huge contribution.

It kind of makes you ashamed Im aware there are reasons for said quotas, but you can't forget how many Jews might have been saved.
Allthewayhome
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Duncan70)
"How was the holocaust allowed to happen ?"

It wasn't, there was a war, read anything about that?

And did you know MANY people of authority didn't want to kill Hitler? After all he did bring the downfall of the Nazi Party with his invasion of Russia, if a more military aware individual had control of Germany they could have very well made it much, much worse.
Actually, we went to war to help Poland.

That was initial reason.

The plight of the Jewish people wasn't known until later.
lodzinski
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
most militaries ignored the camps by and large in favour of defeating the nazis - the russians marched right past stutthof, essentially signing hundreds of death warrants so they could march on towards berlin.
Y__
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
From what I've read about Stauffenberg (which is admittedly not as much as the history students on here will have done, but still better than the film), his main motivation was that he believed that Hitler would eventually ruin Germany. He was an officer of the old Reichswehr (army) which was a well established structure before Hitler came into power and therefore wasn't as closely connected to Hitler as the SS (and the SA after Roehm) - this allowed him to actually find collaborators for his cause, which primarily was to save Germany as a nation.
orionmoo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If they were fully concerned about the Jewish slaughter, then perhaps they had to make a decision on which was the greater good: Ridding Hitler but as lodzinski said, signing their death warrants or; liberating the imprisoned Jews whilst potentially letting Hitler survive and escape which would lead to the possibility of future re-occurances?

If you were in command at the time, which would you chose as the most important objective? 7 million lives for the removal of 1 life, or only 1 million lives but the other 1 life surviving with the possibility to return and do greater damage?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.51%
No (556)
60.9%
Not really bothered about them (188)
20.59%

Watched Threads