Can anyone come to terms with death? Watch

username178693
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
For the last few days ive been overwhelmed by a fear of death. I just cant come to terms with dying and not even having thoughts or anything after that for eternity and that i will 'cease to be'.
Knowing that I will be dead forever,an infinite amount of time scares the sh*t outa me.
Normally i think about problems for ages and worry but then it sorts out, but i dno how to sort this out as its inevitable and theres no solution. I cant imagine being nothing.
How do u guys feel about this?
x_dwin_ffeimys_x
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
same as you. When you think about it your like "omg I will not be able to think any more...I will just vanish, all people will have is memories of me, but I'll have none of them, life will go on, but I'll be dead" so I just say that will not be for quite a while...... live it till then.
there is nothing better than living life alive. haha (so cheesy)
but yeah death is wierd, and thinking of it is wierder, writing about is wierdest!!
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Everything dies. It doesn't stop me from enjoying life, though. Everyone will be a rotting corpse being eaten by nature one day. Future generations can remember us and continue to prosper and rise to even greater heights, and so the cycle of life will continue. What matters more is what happens in your lifetime.
Fandellos
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Existentially speaking, it is vital we do.

Google the "Kubler-ross model"
bass_belle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It scares me, and worrys me but i live every day five minutes at a time and make the best out of that 5 minutes i can. If i die in 10 minutes, I have made the best i can out of what i have done now.
soulofanewmachine
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain
Capn Oar
Report 9 years ago
This used to really scare me too. I guess it still does a bit, but I do realise how much time I have.... We don't have to worry yet.

One reassuring thing I found was a mate from my chemistry class. When I asked her about death (Yeah, I'm real good fun to talk to) she told me that that would be that, but to worry about it is to waste time.

The amazing thing about it wasn't the words necessarily, but the absolute calmness and peaceful outlook she had.

Helped me become less scared.
xJessx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It scares me too I can't believe I'm only 18 and healthy but I already know what I want at my funeral and everything lol. I'm so morbid. Once though, I read a quote that said: 'Some people are so scared of dying that they never start living.' So now I've found that denial is the best way around it.
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I simply avoid thinking about it. Generally, it serves no purpose nor benefit, and I can enjoy life while I have it
Lewis.lord
Report 9 years ago
I personally believe in re-incarnation.
Perhaps in this life you are a smart well rounded and well educated member of society and i believe this is due directly to you experiences in a previous life.
I believe in Re-incarnation as people are born with talents, logic doesn't give reason why one person should be able to throw a javelin whilst another should be able to play piano.
i do believe that practice makes perfect. by this reckoning i believe that a persons experience in a past life directly affects their next one. despite them having no recollection of it. meaning: if you practice in this life, you should be rewarded in the next with talent.
By This you should stop worrying about what will happen and make the best of yourself, instead of thinking it'll go to waste when you die. just see it as giving you an advantage over the competition in your next life.
Tariqé
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why be afraid of the inevitable? Just accept it, and move on.
CHAMON
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We all die, so let that be some consolation to you.
Mask Of Sanity
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by soulofanewmachine)
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain
Excellent quote, I must say.
Darkened Angel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by liamashley)
For the last few days ive been overwhelmed by a fear of death. I just cant come to terms with dying and not even having thoughts or anything after that for eternity and that i will 'cease to be'.
Knowing that I will be dead forever,an infinite amount of time scares the sh*t outa me.
Normally i think about problems for ages and worry but then it sorts out, but i dno how to sort this out as its inevitable and theres no solution. I cant imagine being nothing.
You were dead for billions of years before you were born, you weren't scared then and you wont be scared when you do eventually die. It's the ultimate calm, nothing can bother you. You will be at peace.

These thoughts have helped me cope with it and I no longer fear it.

There's no point worrying, just enjoy life while you can
shamrock92
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tariqé)
Why be afraid of the inevitable? Just accept it, and move on.
I don't think we can rationalise passions, fears and desires, insofar as they aren't accompani'd by some judgment or opinion, or found'd on some belief or other.
Nicky Nitro
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think it is amazing how some people can be so content with the thought of death and that some day they will be dead. I'll be honest and say that I can't, it does worry me, the only time I'm ever content with the thought is when I'm discussing it after quite a few pints.

But I think most young people would be scared of it and not be able to come to terms with the thought of it, the majority of people I have known who are/were content with it are/were all old people. So I think once you've felt like you've lived your life to the full and so on when you're an old person you will be content with the thought of death and not be so afraid of it.
danny.w
Report 9 years ago
im not scared of dieing... im scared of getting old the thought of maybe getting a disease like outzeimers is just horrible or parkingsons ive saw what it does to people... its not fair that life should do that to people... and then thinking you wont be able to run well or move about with ease its just horrible
Cities
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Haha, unlucky
scaryhair
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by liamashley)
I know exactly how you feel. I get so scared that I start to breathe strangely and can't sleep.
It's strange because I can cope with other people dying, but I can't seem to convinve myself that I will be reincarnated/go to heaven/my soul will live on/whatever even though I think they will.
Kind of makes me wish I was religious.
grape:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I look forward to it as an adventure, it might be like one long sleep x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (40)
28.17%
No - I got the required grades (84)
59.15%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (18)
12.68%

Watched Threads