Turn on thread page Beta

Foreigners, what stereotypes do you associate with the British? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've always wondered what other people actually think of Brits... There are the rumours that the Americans think we're all posh, old fashioned and terribly clever, and the French think we're addicted to a good ol' cup-a-tea... but what's the reality?

Over to you lot...

ReputationRep:
    *Subscribes*

ReputationRep:
    ive spoke to alot of americans they think we all have yellow teeth smoke and drink, but also think our accents are hot.

Tea and crumpets anyone

ReputationRep:
    Bad teeth, ugly, arrogant, snooty, egotistical.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the British are quite clever, have some class. When they express anger, they don't sound angry. I judged that from Simon Cowell on American Idol. haha. Nice accents too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamsarny)
    ive spoke to alot of americans they think we all have yellow teeth smoke and drink, but also think our accents are hot.

Tea and crumpets anyone
    I'll have some tea and an American Crumpet...if you...catch my drift....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyclone33)
    I thought the British are quite clever, have some class. When they express anger, they don't sound angry. I judged that from Simon Cowell on American Idol. haha. Nice accents too.
    Haha Simon Cowell isn't exactly the "average Brit"...
    Some of my friends can get VERY angry!

ReputationRep:
    Where does the teeth thing come from? America as a country is more unhealthy than us...

ReputationRep:
    Freshen your drink guv'nor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
    I'll have some tea and an American Crumpet...if you...catch my drift....
    aha yes mate i get ya drift ! gotta be F2F though:o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawBore)
    Where does the teeth thing come from? America as a country is more unhealthy than us...
    I guess we can just say that there are 2 types of Americans then: Obese, and fitness freaks terrified that they'll be obese if they don't exercise constantly...but probably will have obese grandchildren or something!

Not my views, just a common stereotype...

ReputationRep:
    i love tea, im a slave to trends.
    i love the whole passive agressive, snide comment making stereotype.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamsarny)
    aha yes mate i get ya drift ! gotta be F2F though:o:
    Quotation coming up: "By face, I don't mean his lap, and by face, I don't mean my ass."

:p:

Every time an American makes a cultural statement I cringe. Sadly, there has never been an exception to this generalization.
    Never heard a fellow countryman make such a faux pas though, despite the proximity.

ReputationRep:
    Just the same ones you've probably heard a million times. Basically we think you're all pale-skinned, Cockney, ginger, beer-drinking, tea-drinking, well-spoken, well-dressed, intelligent, stoic, French-haters with bad teeth.

ReputationRep:
    Incredibly bland food, football hooligans, old English, castles, Marks and Spencer, blaming anything but themselves especially when it comes to sports, royal family, and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawBore)
    They live for cosmetics, they are obsessed with teeth. They have veneers to make them perfect.

It's mainly from the victorian times they seem to have based their opinions on us all having horrid teeth.

Mor tea gavnah?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSbaitso)
    Just the same ones you've probably heard a million times. Basically we think you're all pale-skinned, Cockney, ginger, beer-drinking, tea-drinking, well-spoken, well-dressed, intelligent, stoic, French-haters with bad teeth.
    ginger is the scot stereotype.
    and add to the list chimney sweep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cowtipper)
    Every time an American makes a cultural statement I cringe. Sadly, there has never been an exception to this generalization.
    Never heard a fellow countryman make such a faux pas though, despite the proximity.
    Asterix & Obelix, whenever the Brits are mentioned...I've seen one in which the British armed forces stop mid-battle, splattered in blood, for a tea break :p: lol

ReputationRep:
    drunk sleezy ugly girls... sorry...

I dont actually think it's true but that's what most of my friends think

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.