Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As the title asks. When replying to your offers can you only pick one insurance choice to go along with your one firm as there are three offers I'd like to accept.

ReputationRep:
    yep

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    yes

you can only go to one in any case, youll have to choose at some point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodtogallop)
    yes

you can only go to one in any case, youll have to choose at some point
    I have three pretty different offers though, and a bit of a dilemma.

1. BBB for UEA (my firm) but it's numerically impossible for me to get a B in one of my subjects and I'm hopinh they'll take me on points equivalent.
    2. BBB or 300 Points for Sussex (they actually offered the alternative)
    3. A very generous offer of 240 from Portsmouth on a 280pts course.

ReputationRep:
    put UEA firm and Portsmouth as insurance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by immortal_technique)
    I have three pretty different offers though, and a bit of a dilemma.

1. BBB for UEA (my firm) but it's numerically impossible for me to get a B in one of my subjects and I'm hopinh they'll take me on points equivalent.
    2. BBB or 300 Points for Sussex (they actually offered the alternative)
    3. A very generous offer of 240 from Portsmouth on a 280pts course.
    Can you not enquire with UEA then, see if they'll accept your points?

ReputationRep:
    Don't have your firm and insurance as the same offer. If you don't get the grades then you won't get into either!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar position to you, I can't decide between UEA, Leicester and Sussex. I actually hope I don't get offers from the latter two (well, not both) so it decides for me!

Have you asked UEA if they'll accept your points? And what subject are you doing?

UEA are apparently quite lenient on results day if you don't match your offer (unless it's a hugely popular course), obviously you shouldn't base your decision on that but it's worth keeping in mind this offer isn't the be all and end all neccessarily

ReputationRep:
    If you know you'll get ABC (300 points) then you can put Sussex as your insurance. If not, choose Portsmouth.

Alternatively, pull your finger out and resit some modules in the subject that you can't get a B in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    I'm in a similar position to you, I can't decide between UEA, Leicester and Sussex. I actually hope I don't get offers from the latter two (well, not both) so it decides for me!

Have you asked UEA if they'll accept your points? And what subject are you doing?

UEA are apparently quite lenient on results day if you don't match your offer (unless it's a hugely popular course), obviously you shouldn't base your decision on that but it's worth keeping in mind this offer isn't the be all and end all neccessarily
    No, although I may inquire when I go down to the course open day.. if not, I'll phone before. The subject is 'International Development Studies', which I'm hoping isn't overly popular or oversubscribed.. it's not exactly Law or Medicine. My friend got into UEA with BBB needing ABB (for Philosophy, also quite a less in-demand course). I'm not entirely confident of even getting the 300 ucas points, so I think a lot of begging and crying may be in order on results day.

Good luck on making your decision also, it's tough, but as someone said we can only choose one at the end of the day.

(Original post by RightSaidJames)
    If you know you'll get ABC (300 points) then you can put Sussex as your insurance. If not, choose Portsmouth.

Alternatively, pull your finger out and resit some modules in the subject that you can't get a B in...
    Well this is actually my last chance in June, as I'm already in my supposed 'gap year' and hoping to travel for a couple months before uni starts. The modules I'm retaking can only allow me to get a high C at maximum in the particular subject, so it'll be a push to just get a C in the first place.

I think I'll be safer putting Portsmouth as insurance, especially as it was a generous offer.

ReputationRep:
    Check with UEA about the BBB = 300 points thing as although it obviously is in terms of UCAS grades, some universities do not equate it to be the same thing. ABC or 300 points is not the same as getting BBB even if UCAS say it is and some universities are very strict about this and reject people outright on results day if the don't get BBB, regardless of what subject their offer is for.

You should check with UEA about their policy before you make any decisions, and ask people on the UEA forum here what has happened in the past. This question comes up a lot on the Edinburgh forum, and from the past years results days on TSR and talking to admissions when I applied I know that it is a straight rejection on results day for people with ABC/300 points.

Have you been predicted a B then but it is literally impossible for you to achieve one where you stand at the moment? What if you resat some modules in the summer. As you don't want to end up in a position where you accept an offer for UEA, knowing you're not going to get a B and then come results day they turn you away.

Only put Portsmouth as your insurance if you genuinely want to go there, don't just do it because it is an easier offer to meet. Otherwise you'll be stuck with somewhere you don't really want to go to, which isn't good. Remember that you don't have to have an insurance, you can always enter straight into clearing if you missed your firm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    Check with UEA about the BBB = 300 points thing as although it obviously is in terms of UCAS grades, some universities do not equate it to be the same thing. ABC or 300 points is not the same as getting BBB even if UCAS say it is and some universities are very strict about this and reject people outright on results day if the don't get BBB, regardless of what subject their offer is for.

You should check with UEA about their policy before you make any decisions, and ask people on the UEA forum here what has happened in the past. This question comes up a lot on the Edinburgh forum, and from the past years results days on TSR and talking to admissions when I applied I know that it is a straight rejection on results day for people with ABC/300 points.

Have you been predicted a B then but it is literally impossible for you to achieve one where you stand at the moment? What if you resat some modules in the summer. As you don't want to end up in a position where you accept an offer for UEA, knowing you're not going to get a B and then come results day they turn you away.

Only put Portsmouth as your insurance if you genuinely want to go there, don't just do it because it is an easier offer to meet. Otherwise you'll be stuck with somewhere you don't really want to go to, which isn't good. Remember that you don't have to have an insurance, you can always enter straight into clearing if you missed your firm.
    Hmm, I think the best thing to do will be to call them up.

No I've been predicted a C, and the predicted grades I entered were ABC but they still gave me an offer. I literally can't get higher than a C as I am at an E at the moment (long story), and sitting only two modules. I could maybe get a few marks into a low B, but that would mean getting full marks in both modules which I'm not going to bet on.

It's just knowing that a few of my friends got into UEA with a grade lower than their offers which makes me think I'll be ok.. and I can't see UEA being as competitive as Edinburgh, which is quite a prestigious institution.

To be honest, I want to go as Portsmouth as much as I want to go to Sussex, which is not as much as the UEA. It seems like a nice place, everything is close together, it's near the the coast, it's a university city and apparently a great student life. Plus they have given me a generous offer of 240pts, for a course which needed 280pts according to the prospectus. Sussex is an acclaimed uni with a great student union, and Brighton seems like a cool liberal place which would compliment my lifestyle. However UEA is local, convenient and I've visited my friends there a number of times, it has everything you need and a decent campus life.

I think I'll give it a few weeks to think things over and discuss stuff with a tutor, then give UEA a call about the points issue.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.