The Student Room Group

Saddam Hussein's Death

Got to do a talk on dictators and how we deal with them etc...SO

Did killing Saddam Hussein actually achieve anything. There is still a war going on, innocent civilians are still dying along with soldiers. Apart from the fact that an evil man was killed, has any good actually come out of his death. Would we not have had the same effect if we have locked him up for life instead of killing him? Would his punishment be better is he had simply lost all freedom etc?

Any Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Well I think it was important from the perspective of the Iraqi people and the country, that he was punished under Iraqi law, and for his crime, Iraqi law stipulates death. If he were dealt with under British law or American law, or even international law, it would have sent out the wrong message. But on the other hand, it hasn't really achieved anything. It hasn't eased the situation. Perhaps one could argue that it has given some sense of justice to the families of those killed under his regime, but even that is debatable.
Reply 3
He deserved it, and it was right of us to depose the moron.

But did it achieve anything in terms of improving the Iraqi situation? Nope!
Reply 4
matt1991
He deserved it, and it was right of us to depose the moron.

But did it achieve anything in terms of improving the Iraqi situation? Nope!

How do you know your living there?
Reply 5
No, but I have a friend who has a brother serving there - near Nasiryah. Okay, things might not be as violent as they were in the wake of the invasion then the dictator's death, but sure as heck things are a LONG way off from being back to 'normal'

Did his death bring back a regular supply of electrictiy to most Iraqis? Water? Food? An acceptable level of urban living? Just look at Sadr City...
Reply 6
I think the main reason for it was that it would allow people to accept the new Iraq without fear of saddam returning, whilst he was still alive people were to scared to make changes, but with his death it meant that Iraq had to change.
Reply 7
matt1991
No, but I have a friend who has a brother serving there - near Nasiryah. Okay, things might not be as violent as they were in the wake of the invasion then the dictator's death, but sure as heck things are a LONG way off from being back to 'normal'

Did his death bring back a regular supply of electrictiy to most Iraqis? Water? Food? An acceptable level of urban living? Just look at Sadr City...

Yeah I agree with you that Iraq has a long way off to get back to normal, but you know its getting better each day, they have now airports and stuff, give it 5 years more and Iraq will be back to its normal state.
It was wrong for USA/UK and their lackeys to invade Iraq to begin with. The USA/UK should face the same fates for a start.
Reply 9
To be honest in a way it made the situation worse - it made a matyr of Saddam for his supporters. Furthermore, Iraq was a divided state at the time of the killing; the execution itself only worsened the tensions between the pro-Saddam Sunnis and the anti-Saddam Shia muslims. This brought the country closer to civil war, and tensions have only calmed following the recent US troop surge.

The only real benifit of his death was that he was no longer able to make inflammatory speeches from the defendant's box in court, inciting religious hatred. If Saddam was in jail for life at this moment I doubt the Iraqi situation will be any worse than it currently is.
Reply 10
Death cannot be solved with death.

Besides, no one deserves to die, and we as humans certainly shouldn't make that judgement.
Reply 11
maths-enthusiast
It was wrong for USA/UK and their lackeys to invade Iraq to begin with. The USA/UK should face the same fates for a start.

What, the same fate as Saddam? Hang 300 million people? I think the Iraq war was very wrong but thats a bit excessive, don't you think?
dave180
What, the same fate as Saddam? Hang 300 million people? I think the Iraq war was very wrong but thats a bit excessive, don't you think?

Don't you think the illegal invasion of Iraq was 'excessive'?

I was referring to the same fate of UK/USA/lackeys as Iraq faced.
What has it achieved?

Removed the possibility of skeletons falling out the closet in regards to where Saddam got his weapons and money from.
Reply 14
Grim_the_Reaper
What has it achieved?

Removed the possibility of skeletons falling out the closet in regards to where Saddam got his weapons and money from.

Agreed
Saddam was worth more alive than dead.
Reply 15

Awesome :laughing:

He looks Asian though. :p:
Reply 16
punktopia
Death cannot be solved with death.

Besides, no one deserves to die, and we as humans certainly shouldn't make that judgement.

Sure some people do, and sure we should.
Reply 17
Paxdax
Sure some people do, and sure we should.

No. Who are you to decide that? What if someone thinks the same of you?
Reply 18
punktopia
No. Who are you to decide that? What if someone thinks the same of you?

I am me. Who are you to decide against it? Ridiculious questions which brings us nowhere.

That I should be executed? Well, too bad. We've a rule of law here. I need to be sentenced to death for some crime first.
Reply 19
Paxdax
I am me. Who are you to decide against it? Ridiculious questions which brings us nowhere.

That I should be executed? Well, too bad. We've a rule of law here. I need to be sentenced to death for some crime first.

The point is, you're just a human being, and so are they. Taking another human's life is elevating yourself above that, thinking of yourself as more worthy of life than they are.

Latest

Trending

Trending