GCSE Maths Watch

dg2008
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Should I retake my GCSE Maths?

I am doing a BSc with the Open Uni and have been thinking of re-doing A Levels. I got a C in the Maths intermediate paper (don't have this anymore) and find most places wanted a B to do A Level so should I go for the GCSE Higher paper or try my luck with AS Level Maths, but what AS Level - Pure, C+M, C+S, C+D (don't think anyone actually does that one).

You may think it strange that I want to go back and do A Levels but I totally messed them up the first time round.
FunLady
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Have you not asked a tutor about this? But if you are now with an open uni who accepted your C, why would you want to go back and do it again?
dg2008
Rep:
?
The OU will take you with very little in the way of grades.

I know is sounds strange and it is If I wanted to go onto a Maths degree I would feel better with A Level Maths which I don't have. I think in a way I'm just telling myself I CAN get good grades & I shouldn't have messed things up the first time.

I love maths I'm want to prove to myself I am good at it.
moleymus
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you got a C at GCSE its prob better not bothering with something in your life that involves maths, wouldn't recomend A level for you
FunLady
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dg2008)
The OU will take you with very little in the way of grades.

I know is sounds strange and it is If I wanted to go onto a Maths degree I would feel better with A Level Maths which I don't have. I think in a way I'm just telling myself I CAN get good grades & I shouldn't have messed things up the first time.
If you want to do a maths degree then you'll need the A-Level in maths You could go back and try again if Maths is really what you want to do.
dg2008
Rep:
?
(Original post by moleymus)
If you got a C at GCSE its prob better not bothering with something in your life that involves maths, wouldn't recomend A level for you
you give good advice don't you :rolleyes: I should prob do nothing as the only B I got was in technology. I take it you've never heard of people retaking subjects then!
dg2008
Rep:
?
(Original post by FunLady)
If you want to do a maths degree then you'll need the A-Level in maths You could go back and try again if Maths is really what you want to do.
I not 100% sure I want to do a Maths degree and I could do one at the OU without A Levels but it would be better with than without I think
FunLady
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dg2008)
you give good advice don't you :rolleyes: I should prob do nothing as the only B I got was in technology. I take it you've never heard of people retaking subjects then!
At GCSE I got a C in Maths I then went on to take it at AS-Level. Initially my sixth form requested that AS-Level Maths required a B or above but they created a new subject - Use of Mathematics (which was only an AS course) which benefited those who wanted to take on Maths but didn't make the grade. I absolutely loved it and had the option of taking on Maths if I wanted to the following year. It is possible
dg2008
Rep:
?
yeah I've seen that at a few places
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A C at GCSE through the Intermediate paper is not good preparation for starting traditional AS maths. It is almost certain that the topics you did not cover or did not do well in are the very topics that are central to AS level Core 1 and Core 2 and beyond (especially algebra and trigonometry).

If you want to boost your skills I'd strongly recommend you look at the wide range of units that OU offer. You can start at the right level for your current knowledge and in addition to developing your maths abilities you could also be earning credit towards your degree. Talk to your OU tutor.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergr...tics/index.htm
dg2008
Rep:
?
I'm not sure if I should go for Maths or Maths & Stats with OU lol also Birkbeck - 5yrs including Mathematical Studies (Certificate of Higher Education)

CoHE:
* Mathematics: Parts 1–3
* Further Mathematics: Parts 1–3
* Personal Progress and Development Planning
* Study and Research Skills for Physics and Mathematics.

Degree (Maths)
Year 1

* Algebra 1: Techniques and Applications
* Calculus 1: Single Variable
* Proof and Structure in Mathematics.

Year 2

* Probability and Statistics
* Discrete Methods
* Calculus 2: Multivariable and Differential Equations.

Years 3 and 4

* Algebra 2: Theory and Structure
* Problems in Mathematics
* Real and Complex Variable.

A choice of three other options, including:

* Calculus 3: Transforms and Models
* Computational Mathematics
* Games, Choice and Optimisation
* Number Theory and Geometry
* Statistics: Theory and Practice.

Don't think I could do I self study Maths degree
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Do you like exams?