The Student Room Group

I've just seen 10 people hit hard by the recession.

As the title says, I've just seen 10 people get made redundant. They all turned up this morning expecting a normal day at work, and within 3 hours their world has been turned upside down.

I've seen it on the news, and thought nothing of it. But seeing it happen to people you know has shown me just how devastating it is. I am in such a weird mood right now...

Has anyone else had first hand experience of it?

Scroll to see replies

One of the guys in my department has just been made redundant.

He's over the moon. Massive package (been here 25+ years), and he's only a year away from retirement anyway. He's as happy as a pig in ****!
I walked into town earlier and only noticed the Job Centre for the first time.

There was a pretty big crowd inside & outside of it. :sad:
Reply 3
No, we're all students.
Reply 4
My cousin was made redundant last week, just after he secured his first mortgage... :frown:
Reply 5
we had a bloke made redundant who only became a father a month before.... *ouch*
Reply 6
mr-tom
No, we're all students.

No, we're not.
the estate agency my mum works in, is constantly having people made redundant, and people are on notice of redundancy right now, my mums had to cut her hours down to be able to keep her job...

its frightening.
i'm going to be redundant at the age of 18 :s the store im working for is being taken over by another *sigh*
Reply 9
suicidal_dream
its frightening.

It really is, I didn't quite realise how severe this economic climate is, but it's a very frightening prospect.

Hopefully it will recover soon and stop this happening to anyone else. It's like being at a funeral right now.
Reply 10
I lost my job. Thankfully I'm only on a gap year and not trying to start a career or anything, but it still upsets me - I loved that job!
Having no luck whatsoever jobhunting either, so may have to resort to jobseekers allowance - many of my friends are in the same position too.
I think 500 jobs have gone in my town alone, with quite a few local buissnesses going into administration - its not a huge place either. :frown:
where i used to work before i left for uni, everyone was made redundant - i still got some form of redundancy pay though as i got lucky... completely forgot about that actually!
There are going to be big, BIG redundancies announced here pretty soon, everyone is nervous, it's not pleasant.

But hey, that's capitalism for ya! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Haven't had first hand experience of it but my dad is getting pretty close to being made redundant.
Reply 14
You seen the millions of french in the news protesting on the streets today? It's well scary!

My family are ok at the moment, they've saved for a rainy day.
CHAMON

My family are ok at the moment, they've saved for a rainy day.

mine should be fine too, its just worrying in that my dad is approx 5 years or so away from early retirement, and my mum is about 5 years away as well, but neither of them want to give up now, and they want their retirement to be as comfortable as possible... if they were made redundant now, i'm sure both of them would find it difficult to get another job for a few years.
My Brother is in the procress of being made redundant, they have this solution, pay him for 2 days work per week, but he has to do the work load that he did in 5 days (a week) .. it's taking the **** :s-smilie:
Reply 17
One of my best friends was made redundant on his birthday....
My mum's having to change the type of things she sells in her shop (more computer accessories, no systems unless built to order) and relying more upon her repairs than her sales; my dad's doing ok (having a second hand shop, he's actually a bit busier); and the company I work for seem to be doing great (they keep on reporting record takings for the month/year) but they're expanding via online sales now instead of opening new stores like it was before.
Most of my friends are students.... the others are like engineers and so on, who seem to be ok.
The main people I notice though, are the customers in the shop telling us about it.... and I think our clawbacks (customers who stop paying their mobile phone bill in the first six months) may have increased slightly...we're not allowed to sell customers two contracts within four months now, just in case.

However, the recession is leaving me with less money effectively.... because everything for my gap year seems to be organised in dollars... so my pounds now go a lot less!
Yeah, it's all a bit crappy. My current contract expires at the end of March. No word as to if it will be renewed or not.... yet. :s-smilie:
Reply 19
suicidal_dream
mine should be fine too, its just worrying in that my dad is approx 5 years or so away from early retirement, and my mum is about 5 years away as well, but neither of them want to give up now, and they want their retirement to be as comfortable as possible... if they were made redundant now, i'm sure both of them would find it difficult to get another job for a few years.

Do they have a mortgage?

Fingers crossed they don't get made redundant, but if they did, they'd get a good payout, no?

Latest

Trending

Trending