IB in Leeds? Watch

This discussion is closed.
gangst
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi,

Just wondered what positions for IB were like in Leeds. I am not currently looking to pursue IB, just interested in the workings, and as a plan B (no disrespect to IB).

I attend Leeds Uni, and Leeds appears to have a biggish financial district, and some very wealthy inhabitants. What is Leeds like as a financial centre and does it have good prospects? Just interested really, Google didn't pull up to much. Also how does Leeds come up as Uni for IB, its a traditional red brick but I do not really know how it compares.

Thanks.
President_Ben
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by gangst)
Hi,

Just wondered what positions for IB were like in Leeds.
There are none. And they probably wouldn't want to hire you. Especially now.

What is Leeds like as a financial centre and does it have good prospects?
London, New York, Tokyo... Leeds? Doesn't work really...

Google didn;t pull up to much.
Says it all.
greenyblue_eyes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
from memory rothschild have offices in leeds.

but yeah. that is probably it.
gangst
Rep:
?
(Original post by President_Ben)
There are none. And they probably wouldn't want to hire you. Especially now.
Lol, read my post before you reply with ****. I'm not trying to enter IB, asking out of interest. If I were, I wouldn't work in Leeds anyway as I'm from London.
gangst
Rep:
?
(Original post by greenyblue_eyes)
from memory rothschild have offices in leeds.

but yeah. that is probably it.
Cheers, just interested as Leeds actually has quite a large financial centre for the size of the city, and theres quite a bit of wealth in the city, flash cars and expensive shops.

HBOS have huge offices here, as do Yorkshire Bank. Barclays, lloyds and Natwest also have large offices in the city centre.
President_Ben
Report 9 years ago
Investment banks people. Not retail operations. Nor just boutique backland offices.

Holy **** people.
President_Ben
Report 9 years ago
Investment banks people. Not retail operations. Nor just boutique backland offices.

Holy **** people.
ie. JPM's back office operations out in Bournemouth don't constitute a site.
greenyblue_eyes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Holy **** people.
i agree with you here having worked last summer in big4 in leeds.

but he asked what there was, and rothschild have 'something' there.

and to the OP. leeds financial centre was the fastest growing in the UK until recently. now it looks like going down the pan. one of the cities most exposed to the credit crisis - just look at the amount of halted construction of office blocks.
gangst
Rep:
?
(Original post by greenyblue_eyes)
leeds financial centre was the fastest growing in the UK until recently. now it looks like going down the pan. one of the cities most exposed to the credit crisis - just look at the amount of halted construction of office blocks.
yea have to agree with you, the city well illustrates the financial situations. Leeds has the highest UK unemployment currently at 23,000.
President_Ben
Report 9 years ago
Yes, ok. But the investment banks don't hire out of Leeds. During your time there, that must have been quite clearly apparent.

10 minutes, max, reading the stickied threads on this forum would tell you much the same.
gangst
Rep:
?
Yes, ok. But the investment banks don't hire out of Leeds. During your time there, that must have been quite clearly apparent.

10 minutes, max, reading the stickied threads on this forum would tell you much the same.
No I agree with you.

I do Dentistry at Uni, I enjoy trading myself and follow the markets pretty much everyday. It just spurred an interest to see if Leeds had anything going on. My back up plan is that if I do not enjoy my course, I will finish it and apply for a IB related course at a top 5 uni, and just count my current degree as a learning curve.
ElemenT'
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
London or bust.
Haz313
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No I agree with you.

I do Dentistry at Uni, I enjoy trading myself and follow the markets pretty much everyday. It just spurred an interest to see if Leeds had anything going on. My back up plan is that if I do not enjoy my course, I will finish it and apply for a IB related course at a top 5 uni, and just count my current degree as a learning curve.
How long is a dentistry degree? 4/5 years? Would it really be worth going through all that and not even making much use of it? Dentistry still pays well and there's still no guarantees your going to get into IB.
EDIT: nvm, didn't see the back up plan bit :P
taylor4452
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Leeds is the largest financial services centre outside London, but there isn't really any IB. Most is retail banking, insurance and accountancy firms. Go to City Square and you will see what I mean; huge offices for Deloittes etc, but no IB. Also the Bank of England has its only other office in Leeds.
Drogue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Lol, read my post before you reply with sh!t. I'm not trying to enter IB, asking out of interest. If I were, I wouldn't work in Leeds anyway as I'm from London.
You asked as a plan B. However, while curt, Ben's point's entirely true - knowing that little about IB, going to Leeds uni and being in the current climate all add up to it not being worth having as a plan B.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (84)
26.09%
No (238)
73.91%

Watched Threads