Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a offer holder of Economics and Philosophy. Are we allowed to transfer within deparments? Is there any way I can transfer from (Economics and Philosophy) to (Philosophy and International relations) or (Economics and International Relations) ?

ReputationRep:
    IR is one of the harder courses to get into, so it might not be so easy to change over. If it was any other subject, I'd suggest you wait until you get here, then choose it for your extra module and discuss with your advisor the possibility of transfering. However, given the popularity of IR, you might not be allowed to choose it as your extra module, and so wouldn't be able to change courses. I reccommend you contact the admissions office and discuss your options with them. Certainly it's theoretically easier to change within faculties than to switch to a totally different faculty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    IR is one of the harder courses to get into, so it might not be so easy to change over. If it was any other subject, I'd suggest you wait until you get here, then choose it for your extra module and discuss with your advisor the possibility of transfering. However, given the popularity of IR, you might not be allowed to choose it as your extra module, and so wouldn't be able to change courses. I reccommend you contact the admissions office and discuss your options with them. Certainly it's theoretically easier to change within faculties than to switch to a totally different faculty.
    You need AAA to switch to IR once at St A's, or predicted AAA to switch to it before the offer stage. You need AAA even to take a module of it once here.

Apart from that, it's apparently ok to change within a faculty once you're at St A's, but a bit awkward before, unless you're a pretty good applicant for your original and your new proposed course, and can provide a damn good reason for changing.

My advice is to wait til you get here, and get AAA, so you can switch to any subjects in the faculty.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replies. generally, switching to IR is hardly possible? unless i meet the condition of triple A in A level?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say 'hardly' possible exactly, its possible, but it is a lot harder than choosing any other subject in the art department. My friend wanted to take it as a third subject with the intent of changing her degree from Mod History and French to IR and French. Her adviser gave her a bit of a grilling about it and she had to demonstrate to him that she was committed, but as soon as she'd done that she was accepted. As soon as its your third subject there are virtually no barriers to changing your degree.

You have to bear in mind that from the department's point of view, IR is the most popular and competitive course in the art department. It can therefore look a bit suspect asking to take it as a third subject with the intent to change degree as soon as you arrive, having applied for a different subject. Having said that, I wouldn't disguise your intent to change degree. Instead you need to demonstrate to your adviser why you are passionate about it and why you didn't apply for it in the first place (i.e. what has since occurred to change your mind). I do think it is much much easier for you to do this at advising rather than ask the faculty before matriculation however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amae)
    I wouldn't say 'hardly' possible exactly, its possible, but it is a lot harder than choosing any other subject in the art department. My friend wanted to take it as a third subject with the intent of changing her degree from Mod History and French to IR and French. Her adviser gave her a bit of a grilling about it and she had to demonstrate to him that she was committed, but as soon as she'd done that she was accepted. As soon as its your third subject there are virtually no barriers to changing your degree.

You have to bear in mind that from the department's point of view, IR is the most popular and competitive course in the art department. It can therefore look a bit suspect asking to take it as a third subject with the intent to change degree as soon as you arrive, having applied for a different subject. Having said that, I wouldn't disguise your intent to change degree. Instead you need to demonstrate to your adviser why you are passionate about it and why you didn't apply for it in the first place (i.e. what has since occurred to change your mind). I do think it is much much easier for you to do this at advising rather than ask the faculty before matriculation however.
    To be honest it's simple to do any modules you like, just pick them. I've never had any problems from advisers or anything. I'm in the faculty of science yet have done English, Classics, Middle Eastern Subjects and probably other non-science modules. Think I did about 4 modules per semester, only thing the adviser said was that I only need to do 3 and am I sure about it. Can't say I have done IR, but went into economics without any problems.

My adviser always told me to take a good range of modules, because if you end up hating your subject, at least you have other options for your degree. So I did the compulsory first and second year modules in a variety of different subjects, and could choose between 3 or 4 subjects to go into at honors level.

One friend of mine made the mistake of just taking random modules in other subjects but not making sure he had the prerequisites for future modules in those subjects. He ended up dropping out of his main subject and wanted to do something else, but wasn't allowed as he didn't have the prerequisites for honors, so decided to go for something he didn't really want to do but had the prerequisites for, instead of repeating a year or two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeve)
    To be honest it's simple to do any modules you like, just pick them.
    On the whole I would agree with you Skeve, advising is a very easy process and there are limited barriers as to what subjects and combinations you can pick.

IR, however, is the exception (at least i've never heard of another subject like it- i could be wrong). It is an incredibly popular course and there is a limit as to how big a class size can be. Obviously priority has to be given to entering applicants with IR as their intended degree, which limits the amount of people who can take it as a third subject. Technically this is true of all subjects, but IR is so popular additional checks that never become necessary in other subjects have to be put in place. These include making sure you have three A's as the above posters stated, and also having to persuade your advisor to let you onto the course.

I've never studied IR so I have no personal experiance of this, but friends of mine have and the process they describe is slightly tougher than the usual advising process whereby unless you have a timetable clash and or an impossible subject combination then you're generally good to go.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds harder than applying thru UCAS. Too bad I've already sent all my 5 choices. But I really appreciate your replies. Now I must set myself to achieve at least 3As in A-lvl, that's the only thing I should be concerned about. Meanwhile, I will buy first year IR introduction book for my summer reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chamberofidiots)
    It sounds harder than applying thru UCAS. Too bad I've already sent all my 5 choices. But I really appreciate your replies. Now I must set myself to achieve at least 3As in A-lvl, that's the only thing I should be concerned about. Meanwhile, I will buy first year IR introduction book for my summer reading.
    I really think you should contact the department sooner rather than later if you are very keen to change courses. If you just turn up and go, 'Well, hello! I want to do IR now, kthxbai', they'll probably be less inclined to facilitate a change than if you make them aware of your interests now. At the very least, it will help distinguish you from the mass of people who might, at the beginning of the semester, decide they want to study IR alongside their degree subject(s). They will also be able to tell you how vital AAA is, although if you're capable of and willing to achieve that, then it would certainly help.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you get AAA they can't stop you from taking IR as an elective module if you want to... without it, you won't be allowed on the course.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Economics-Mathematics but in the faculty of science, but I was wondering if I could change faculty to the faculty of arts? (Both subjects are in both faculties)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by yodude888)
    I applied for Economics-Mathematics but in the faculty of science, but I was wondering if I could change faculty to the faculty of arts? (Both subjects are in both faculties)
    I changed from faculty of arts to science for Maths, so it's possible. I changed after I had my offer though (by emailing the admissions tutor from the dept and just asking if it was possible to switch).

ReputationRep:
    There are obviously many trains of thought here with regards to degree changes and IR. I started at St Andrews in September and was keen to take IR as a 2nd subject. During freshers week I heard all sorts of stories about who could and could not take IR. In the end I spoke to someone from the IR department at the academic fair and was basically told we (School of IR) will decide (ultimately) if you can study IR.

The chap informed me to speak to my adviser and if I/we had any queries to speak to the IR Department. I went to my advising appointment and was asked do you have AAA. I do not as I am a Mature student, my adviser had a look over my qualifications and said OK!

The big problem with IR is that it is VERY popular and to that end people who purposely apply for a less popular course and then immediately try to change might not get what they want. However lets say you get to study IR alongside your other subjects and you are lucky enough to convince your adviser that you only need one subject as back-up (i.e. fill the 3rd subject with a jumble of modules) and you 'fail' your 2nd year exams then what can they do other than offer you an honors place for IR?

As for class sizes, I was told there is NO reasonable restrictions on class sizes. If you meet the requirements then you get a place. The schools have to make allowances for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopefull)
    The chap informed me to speak to my adviser and if I/we had any queries to speak to the IR Department. I went to my advising appointment and was asked do you have AAA. I do not as I am a Mature student, my adviser had a look over my qualifications and said OK!
    Do you mind telling us what is your qualification they've considered?

I stick with the idea of getting AAA as the backbone of all transfers. It's actually a passport =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moveslowly)
    Do you mind telling us what is your qualification they've considered?

I stick with the idea of getting AAA as the backbone of all transfers. It's actually a passport =)
    I would agree that if you have, or can obtain AAA then that is the benchmark. The point I was making is that it is not set in stone. I have an HND which in the SQA framework sits above Higher so it was not too much trouble to convince them to allow me to take the subject.

To be fair I do not know what all the fuss is about. I do not think it is any more academically challenging than other degree subjects. I believe they set the AAA restriction through popularity over academia.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 10, 2009
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.