Very basic question. Watch

Robbolo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey there, pretty new to the science of fitness and just had a very simple quesion for you guys.

To lose weight, you need to output more than you input right?

So if I take in around 2000cals a day, which is recommended or whatever, and i exercise about 800cals a day, then surely im still taking in 1200cals more than im putting out?

I know I clearly misunderstood the principals here, and was just wondering if anyone can be so kind as to shed some light on how the input/output thing works :confused:

Also, on a sidenote, I remember reading that if you exercise too long, then you'll start burning muscle? Just wanted to know that if i waited a few hours between sessions, would it go back to burning carbs or go straight into burning muscle again?

Cheers for any tips or advice given!

Rob
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
your body uses other calories mate.

even when asleep etc.
Sziphix
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You're constantly burning energy just to stay alive. A few hours between session is not advised; you will not be building muscle. With weight training, your workout needs to be intense enough that you shouldn't be working out the group of muscles you've used again for the rest of the day, or the next, yet alone a few hours.
If you want to lose weight, getting some more muscle will help you achieve that, and muscle mass increases while they are recovering from training, not while you are working them out, so too much frequency is counter-productive. Also, if you feel you're able to do another workoult on those muscles later in the day, you're not working hard enough during your session and will not see optimal results.
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Google 'Basal Metabolic Rate'.
Brotherhood
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Robbolo)
Hey there, pretty new to the science of fitness and just had a very simple quesion for you guys.

To lose weight, you need to output more than you input right?

So if I take in around 2000cals a day, which is recommended or whatever, and i exercise about 800cals a day, then surely im still taking in 1200cals more than im putting out?

I know I clearly misunderstood the principals here, and was just wondering if anyone can be so kind as to shed some light on how the input/output thing works :confused:

Also, on a sidenote, I remember reading that if you exercise too long, then you'll start burning muscle? Just wanted to know that if i waited a few hours between sessions, would it go back to burning carbs or go straight into burning muscle again?

Cheers for any tips or advice given!

Rob
You probably need about 2,000 to survive. Factor in the 800 burnt and you're losing 800 a day.

Basal Metabolic Rate.
psyche87
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As others have said, basal metabolic rate.

(Essentially, your body needs energy just to stay alive for basic metabolic processes. Like glucose gets broken down and ATP is formed from the energy released in the process, and this ATP is needed to keep things like the sodium-potassium pumps in cells running. And quite a lot of other cellular processes will also need energy!)
Tootles
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Robbolo)
... the science of fitness ...
Ha! Science, hell - I suppose they'll be calling it an art next. You want to be fit; it's discipline, not science.

Ha! Ha, ha!

*paralyzed with laughter at the thought of fitness being a science*
Brotherhood
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tootles)
Ha! Science, hell - I suppose they'll be calling it an art next. You want to be fit; it's discipline, not science.

Ha! Ha, ha!

*paralyzed with laughter at the thought of fitness being a science*
Yeah mate, nothing to do with Biology or Chemistry at all. :rolleyes:
Tootles
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Brotherhood)
Yeah mate, nothing to do with Biology or Chemistry at all. :rolleyes:
I'm not your mate.

And I don't need to be pretentious about keeping my intake and output balanced, and my stomach flat. In fact, I am as far as you can get from being fat, and have all the muscle I'm ever going to need - and I know nothing of your 'science.'

So there.
10Trix
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am as far as you can get from being fat, and have all the muscle I'm ever going to need -
So there.
Wha?? You have 0 % Body fat?? I would see a doctor so he could do some science on you!!

It would be kinda funny if you fell of a cliff, hung on, but unfortunately didn't have the strength to heave yourself back up!!!!! Oh wait, I get it, Your Hercules???

.......Awaits Neg's.
Tootles
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 10Trix)
Wha?? You have 0 % Body fat?? I would see a doctor so he could do some science on you!!

It would be kinda funny if you fell of a cliff, hung on, but unfortunately didn't have the strength to heave yourself back up!!!!! Oh wait, I get it, Your Hercules???

.......Awaits Neg's.
If there is any fat on me, I've not found it yet - and I never claimed to be Hercules; just that I've got enough for what I'm going to need it for: mainly getting around on my pushbike and plonking away on my uke.
Robbolo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thanks for everyone that provided helpful replies Didnt realise that just staying alive would take up that much energy!
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Lol @ exercise being nothing to do with BIOLOGY
Kohta
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If there is any fat on me, I've not found it yet
I'm not sure whether you're being serious or not, but if you had no fat you'd die. It cushions your internal organs, stopping them from being thrown against your ribcage and damaging.

Even hardcore olympic athletes have fat.
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Also you would have nothing to lubricate your joints.
Tootles
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Kohta)
I'm not sure whether you're being serious or not, but if you had no fat you'd die. It cushions your internal organs, stopping them from being thrown against your ribcage and damaging.

Even hardcore olympic athletes have fat.
Yeah - I just mean stuff that sticks out. Or are you just being facecious?
Kohta
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah - I just mean stuff that sticks out. Or are you just being facecious?
I couldn't tell whether you were being facetious or not.

Titanomachy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
OP - I wouldn't take the advice being proffered regarding weight training as a means to cutting fat.

While it is true that more muscle mass with cause you to burn more calories at rest, it's actually a lot more complicated than that, and adjusting the amount of anaerobic muscle in your body to any significant degree will affect how you metabolize all the food you eat. In my personal experience and what I have observed, you're better off sticking to cardio and circuit training if you want to tone up and lose bodyfat. Resistance training is obviously required if you want to build big muscle, but don't believe the rubbish some people will try to tell you that it will promote fat loss. You'll have to eat a lot more to avoid muscle damage/tearing and atrohphy, your appetite will increase as much as two or three fold if you really hit the weights, and you'll find it a lot harder to eat under your maintenance calories (and therefore burn fat reserves)
Sandhu
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If there is any fat on me, I've not found it yet - and I never claimed to be Hercules; just that I've got enough for what I'm going to need it for: mainly getting around on my pushbike and plonking away on my uke.
LOL
Thrace
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Titanomachy)
OP - I wouldn't take the advice being proffered regarding weight training as a means to cutting fat.

While it is true that more muscle mass with cause you to burn more calories at rest, it's actually a lot more complicated than that, and adjusting the amount of anaerobic muscle in your body to any significant degree will affect how you metabolize all the food you eat. In my personal experience and what I have observed, you're better off sticking to cardio and circuit training if you want to tone up and lose bodyfat. Resistance training is obviously required if you want to build big muscle, but don't believe the rubbish some people will try to tell you that it will promote fat loss. You'll have to eat a lot more to avoid muscle damage/tearing and atrohphy, your appetite will increase as much as two or three fold if you really hit the weights, and you'll find it a lot harder to eat under your maintenance calories (and therefore burn fat reserves)
Of course it'll help fat loss. And it might increase your appetite, but you won't suddenly become a mindless food-seeking zombie going "moooooore" until you're satisfied. Whilst it's true you need to have a decent calorie intake in order to build muscle, you won't necessarily go damaging yourself.

People's bodies are different. Yours may have torn muscles and atrophied in the scenario you describe, and you may not have lost fat. Personally, I lost fat and built muscle when I started lifting. My appetite increased, yes, and I ate more, but I didn't eat nearly twice as much as before, and I wasn't restricting myself. Oh, and I didn't damage myself either.

People's bodies and metabolisms are different, but I'd say weights are a great way of losing fat. Especially with the way many people do cardio - looooonglasting and boring. Much better to be in the gym, do stuff, and be out to do other things. :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (232)
27.62%
No (608)
72.38%

Watched Threads