Booking accomodation privately-advice Watch

diamondlad
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey everyone,
basically im considering booking my accommodation for my first year at hallam privately. Some of the properties in the accomm brochure are available to book independently online and it seems like abit more of a hassle free option. Has anyone had any experience of this? Naturally im apprehensive so any advice would be great.
suek
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by diamondlad)
Hey everyone,
basically im considering booking my accommodation for my first year at hallam privately. Some of the properties in the accomm brochure are available to book independently online and it seems like abit more of a hassle free option. Has anyone had any experience of this? Naturally im apprehensive so any advice would be great.
Yeah it's a great way to do it, I did it last year (I'm at The Anvil now, owned by Unite).. no problems in the least, I got the accommodation I wanted - could pick the room and see details about my flatmates (stuff like vegetarian/male or female/year/smoker)

The only thing you have to be careful of is if you don't get into Hallam/decide not to come, you'll lose your deposit after a certain date, but that'll be clear in the terms.
diamondlad
Rep:
?
(Original post by suek)
Yeah it's a great way to do it, I did it last year (I'm at The Anvil now, owned by Unite).. no problems in the least, I got the accommodation I wanted - could pick the room and see details about my flatmates (stuff like vegetarian/male or female/year/smoker)

The only thing you have to be careful of is if you don't get into Hallam/decide not to come, you'll lose your deposit after a certain date, but that'll be clear in the terms.
Oh right, seems like a good idea though, much less hassle! I wonder if you could tell me abit more about The Anvil? Do you get things included like bills and things? I'm really thinking about going for that so any advice would be lovely
suek
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I love it here to be honest, best student accommodation I think you can get Halls-wise, and I have experienced others.

Pros:
- Small double beds in each room
- Ensuite
- All bills included (though the "super" internet costs more)
- I share a kitchen with just two others, which is great
- Living area - stools at the breakfast bar bit, sofas (leather in block A!)
- Very helpful staff (my car window was smashed one night in the car park, it's secure so they couldn't steal my car... has CCTV too which makes the criminal a right muppet for doing it as they got caught etc, anyway, the staff were really kind and supportive when it happened)
- I can get to sleep every single night. This is especially useful when I have to be up at 7am for placement!
- I don't disturb anybody by watching TV at a decent volume.
- If we do have noise problems, a word with the staff sorts it out - our upstairs neighbours liked their drum and bass at all hours, didn't last long.
- Great facilities in the kitchen. In my flat of 3 we have a fridge/freezer between us which is plenty, there was a toaster and kettle provided, new oven, microwave, cooker etc.
- Ten mins' walk to City Campus.
- KFC, Mcdonalds, Netto, two Sainsbury's Locals, Wilkinson's, B&Q all within ten minutes' walk.
- Plenty of storage in room - you can lift the mattress to store stuff under the bed too (good for suitcase etc for popping home!)
- Shower's nice. Ensuite isn't too tiny, but it's not massive by any means - way better than the little "pods" you get where you're basically showering on your toilet though, the shower is separate in its own alcove etc, and I even had room for a little storage unit.
- Aerial socket in every room.
- £20/week for the summer weeks; good if you have placements like me!

Cons
- Not in the greatest area, but then student accommodation rarely is. My car incident was pretty isolated tho - first time it's happened here. However I don't tend to walk about the streets alone at night.
- About 20-25 mins walk to Collegiate, so it's a bit blah, but I do it every day no probs - I like the exercise.
- Laundry is expensive (£2 per wash, £1 for dryer), but it's the same pricing as other student accommodation in the area. There's also only 3 washing machines, and four dryers, between everyone, which isn't much but you just have to pick your times. I've never had trouble doing it in the morning (anytime before 12 really) on a weekday.
- Expensive
- Can't get packages delivered to any unite properties anymore.

Basically, if you're at all like me in that you like a bit more of a quiet life then it's definitely the place. The flats of five are a a bit more lively, and it's by no means the case that there's no party animals here. You can book online and choose your own room etc, right down to flatmates, so I picked to live with non first-years, however you can obviously pick to go with freshers if you like! (I'm 23)

So even if you're not looking for something a bit quieter, it's still a great place... I'd say block B is a bit more lively. But Block A has the leather sofas :P I really recommend it, so much so that I've rebooked for next year
diamondlad
Rep:
?
Thanks very much for that, definately given me something to think about
I've heard that the anvil might not be partnered with the uni anymore from this year, so private seems like the way to go to me!
suek
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by diamondlad)
Thanks very much for that, definately given me something to think about
I've heard that the anvil might not be partnered with the uni anymore from this year, so private seems like the way to go to me!
I wondered how they might manage the logistics of that to be honest - people living here are able to rebook, people are able to book online (only a few remaining if I remember rightly), and if people can come through the uni too I wondered when it was decided how many spots were available for the uni!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 9 Mar '19

Do you like exams?