Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, was just wondering if anyone here is sitting the edexcel government and politics exam tomorrow. Route C I think. If so, has anyone got any past papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colly6191)
    Hey, was just wondering if anyone here is sitting the edexcel government and politics exam tomorrow. Route C I think. If so, has anyone got any past papers?

Oooo seconded.
    I'm looking for mark schemes though. Does anyone have?

I have a few past questions if you'd like?

ReputationRep:
    https://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/pastpapers/ just enter your center number

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 31Jen16)
    Oooo seconded.
    I'm looking for mark schemes though. Does anyone have?

I have a few past questions if you'd like?
    Nope haven't got one sorry!

We've only got one past paper too, the teacher said you have to pay for them off edexcel :confused: dunno how true that is though.

i'd love a few past paper questions though if your offering!

how do you feel about it? you prepared or?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, the Qs I have in front of me at the moment are all about pressure groups, but i'll go and get some more

Essays
    Do pressure groups strengthen or undermine democracy in the USA?
    "US pressure groups are undemocratic". Discuss.
    What tactics do pressure groups use and why are some more successful than others?

Short
    How important is the role of professional lobbyists in Pressure group Campaigns?
    Explain the importance of "iron triangles" in the US political process?

I'm not prepared at all, I had an exam yesterday and the day before and loads earlier in the month so I didn't start revising until about an hour ago. Also, this is a retake so I haven't been in contact with the subject at all since May, I got a D first time round. So needless to say, I am screwed. You?

Also do you happen to have any last minute revision but still get 90% type tips?
    Too much to learn and I have no relevant examples from the last 6 months.

Ok rant over.
    I'll try and find more questions.
    Any topics in particular you need?

ReputationRep:
    https://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/pastpapers/

ReputationRep:
    Ah they don't sound too horrible!

Ahhh i'm sure you'll be fine! Don't worry - this is my 9th exam this month lol.

Teacher gave us this book with all the sections in and a load of examples. Is there any in particular that your after? I'm just writing everything up now hoping its gonna sink in ha.

Erm, not too hot on political parties. Also, could they ask something like, 'What has Congress done to protect the rights of minorities?' or any other branch for that matter.

We'e done a load of notes and that but not much practice exam-wise. Most people seem to think one of the essays is gonna be 'why did Obama win?' or along those lines.

theres some useful stuff on historylearningsite and they've got alot of examples too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris007as)
    https://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/pastpapers/
    Thanks, but theres not alot on Route C America

ReputationRep:
    its got everything except from june 2008 try 12502 as center number

ReputationRep:
    www.freeexampapers.com

ReputationRep:
    Thanks .
    I don't understand Edexcel there stuff is nowhere near as accessible as the other exam boards i've done.

Ah they don't sound too horrible!

Ahhh i'm sure you'll be fine! Don't worry - this is my 9th exam this month lol.

Teacher gave us this book with all the sections in and a load of examples. Is there any in particular that your after? I'm just writing everything up now hoping its gonna sink in ha.

Erm, not too hot on political parties. Also, could they ask something like, 'What has Congress done to protect the rights of minorities?' or any other branch for that matter.

We'e done a load of notes and that but not much practice exam-wise. Most people seem to think one of the essays is gonna be 'why did Obama win?' or along those lines.

theres some useful stuff on historylearningsite and they've got alot of examples too!
    Here are some questions on parties:

Essays:
    To what extent has there been a resurguence of political parties in US politics?
    In reality does the USA have a 50 party system?
    "Parties do not matter any more" Discuss.
    Why does the USA have a two party system?

Short
    Why have African American voters remained loyal to the Democratic Party?
    How significant are 3rd party candidates in presidential elections?

9th exam, wow! I've really struggled with 7.
    I'm not sure about the congress/minorities Q.

There's an essay question like this-
    Have political strategies to create genuine equality of oppurtunity for all racial and ethnic groups in the usa been effective?

Has your teacher sad that the Q about Obama is likely to come up?

Thanks for the site, I hadn't seen it before, it looks really useful.

ReputationRep:
    got em, thanks alot!

ReputationRep:
    yh my teacher has really prepared us for why obama won....the chief examiner used to work at our college and apparently our teachers know his mentality and he likes being completely up to date with questions!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks .
    I don't understand Edexcel there stuff is nowhere near as accessible as the other exam boards i've done.

Here are some questions on parties:

Essays:
    To what extent has there been a resurguence of political parties in US politics?
    In reality does the USA have a 50 party system?
    "Parties do not matter any more" Discuss.
    Why does the USA have a two party system?

Short
    Why have African American voters remained loyal to the Democratic Party?
    How significant are 3rd party candidates in presidential elections?

9th exam, wow! I've really struggled with 7.
    I'm not sure about the congress/minorities Q.

There's an essay question like this-
    Have political strategies to create genuine equality of oppurtunity for all racial and ethnic groups in the usa been effective?

Has your teacher sad that the Q about Obama is likely to come up?

Thanks for the site, I hadn't seen it before, it looks really useful.
    Thanks alot they're really helpful. Well he said in jan 05 the question was on the 2004 election and in 06 it was on the mid-terms or something so i'm gonna have a look just incase. If theres something about the american dream i'll opt for that though.

we haven't really done how pressure groups influence the senate/house of reps or the judiciary so i hope to God they don't come up. something like 'what has been the impact of pressure groups' would be cushty!

ReputationRep:
    yh my teacher has really prepared us for why obama won....the chief examiner used to work at our college and apparently our teachers know his mentality and he likes being completely up to date with questions!
    Hi,

I haven't studied this at all would u be able to by any chance give me a few pointers as what to include?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VivaRonaldo)

mmmm. you got any more inside tips? ha. what have you actually got on that then? if you don't mind sharing lol.

i'm not gonna count on it though, my teacher predicted 3 questions for psychology one week so like a fanny I, as well as the whole class, revised just them, ant not one came up. Needless to say a U is on the cards!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colly6191)
    mmmm. you got any more inside tips? ha. what have you actually got on that then? if you don't mind sharing lol.

i'm not gonna count on it though, my teacher predicted 3 questions for psychology one week so like a fanny I, as well as the whole class, revised just them, ant not one came up. Needless to say a U is on the cards!

no more inside tips, just that the examiner loves doing the up to date questions and a question for example - 'what factors afftected the outcome of the 2008 election?' is likely for the main essay ques.

i think it will come up, with all the hype around the election, would be weird to not include it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I haven't studied this at all would u be able to by any chance give me a few pointers as what to include?
    Yeah sure,

The points are -

Issues (economy/war on iraq)

Character (obama young charismatic, good at speeches)

Money - raised $650 million and how he spent this on advertising and get examples
    Organisation - Opened as many as four times more offices in each state that McCain and huge support etc

Voter registration - Helped promote new voters in which 300 000 new voters in florida voted which helped obama

Voting groups - african americans 95% voted for obama, womens turned from republican to obama, catholics voted obama, hispanics who mostly voted bush went to obama

then lastly all McCain's points such as his old age, palin choice as vice pres candidate, was she ready to be a heartbeat away from presidency? his poor campaign, being compared to bush and being described as another bush

ReputationRep:
    yeah same. don't know if i'm gonna answer it though, have hardly done any prep on it. all i've really got is the unpopularily on the republicans, obama being synonymous with change, revolutionary campaign strategies and then obiously race. you got much else?

ReputationRep:
    what was McCains stance on the key policy issues compared to Obamas?

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.