Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I've decided I should probably get one of these as I'm scared of my laptop failing and me losing all of my photos and important work. Could anyone recommend me one? Cheap and reliable as possible. I don't have too much money to spend. I don't think I'll need a very large one, I have 361MB in my documents, 7 gig of music, and 5 gig of pictures but obviously I suspect this will grow.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Your best bet is to just shop around, try looking on these sites;

www.ebuyer.com
    www.dabs.com
    www.amazon.co.uk
    www.play.com

They're all good value, reliable websites that I buy all sorts of computer stuff from

Also, if you have around 15gb of stuff to back up at the moment, you shouldn't have to end up spending much money at all. I'd personally go for at least 30gb to make sure you have plenty of free space to use if you need it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattRead92)
    Also, if you have around 15gb of stuff to back up at the moment, you shouldn't have to end up spending much money at all. I'd personally go for at least 30gb to make sure you have plenty of free space to use if you need it
    You'll be lucky yo find a 30gb these days - 80gb is a bout the minimum. Price for storage wise around 500gb is gona get you the best value for money. As your using it for backup choose a relibale brand such as Maxtor / Seagate, Western Digital etc

ReputationRep:
    I second the Western Digital vote.

I've been using 4 of their 1tb hard drives in the last 6 months - all work fine.
    I've been using a 480GB passport for the last few weeks, no problem.
    Mates also use WD Passports too.

Also, if you want to backup, WD comes with some good software.

ReputationRep:
    get a western digital or seagate. i have had bad experience with maxtor in the past

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegman89)
    You'll be lucky yo find a 30gb these days - 80gb is a bout the minimum. Price for storage wise around 500gb is gona get you the best value for money. As your using it for backup choose a relibale brand such as Maxtor / Seagate, Western Digital etc
    True, that

I hate external hard drives and was thinking of flash drive sizes.

Don't rely on a usb flash drive by the way, they're unreliable. Do get an external hard drive.

ReputationRep:
    You want a Seagate 500gb external hard drive. Best off with a smaller one with USB.
    Then of course you need to look at design, I could post a few links of here, but to be honest, your best browing sites like scan.co.k or even play/amazon and picking one with the above requirements which you like the look of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    get a western digital or seagate. i have had bad experience with maxtor in the past
    Maxtor are now owned by segate - so chances are it would have been a very similar drive in them!

I've got two 750gb segates here are both have been running fine for just under a year - with backups been done daily with them.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.