The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Renner
As I edited, the higher up probably can't sack them. And being an idiot is almost a requirement of being a higher up in the council, so it wouldn’t surprise me if what you said was actually true. But then a next rung of the ladder probably can’t sack idiot supervisor, because of daft employment laws etc.

But you'd still have their jobs taken away.
Reply 101
i love proles :h:
Reply 102
EmpMartinIV
Shut up you snob :biggrin:

I don't know why either. I presume that it is just another way of complaining about rich people.

Ah...

So you'll be Snob 2 in my head.

:laugh:
Reply 103
But you'd still have their jobs taken away.
If there job isn’t needed and/or they were a bad worker then yes. We pay these people through our taxes; I would rather that tax money went to say a hospital than needlessly paying inefficient or un-needed workers.
Oh come on OP, I bet you'd love to live like common people, and do whatever common people do, wanna fail like common people? Watch your life slide out of view... :wink:

"People who speak with terribly common accents mock RP"

The drinking class' way of pretending they don't mind not being allowed on radio 4 I expect :smile: Grin and bear it.
Firstly, I don't particularly like JW but can not afford it.
I have been educated at state school and beleive you only get better education as people who go private are the ones that don't disturb the class every minute of it.
I try to mock every accent, its most fair then :biggrin:

But I do entirely understand your argument. Its the people who make everyone elses lives worse that I want to die. Those that have no perpose and then laugh at stupid things.
Reply 106
Walnut Whipp
If you really were well dressed, educated and spoken you probably wouldn't be poor.

I've got an offer to study maths at Cambridge, so I can't be too badly educated i guess. How can being well dressed, well educated, and well spoken at age 18 stop you from being poor!?
:biggrin: I'm poor, but

People who can't afford JW claim they hate it. ~ it looks bad, regardless of price or brand value.
People who can't afford to go to public schools say that comprehensives are better. ~ I can't afford to pay for public school, but I wouldn't ever want to go to a comp, which is why I went to a middle-class grammar school.
People who speak with terribly common accents mock RP. ~ I speak like your typical Essex person, but I'd much rather speak RP; in fact, I resent coming from an area where in infant/junior school they didn't teach us how to speak properly.

I do not resent rich people for being rich, but being rich =/= automatically better person.
lodzinski
aww. poor little rich kids getting abuse from the plebs? my heart BLEEDS.

This.
Reply 109
Wouldn't you prefer to be an intellect than a dunce? I also don't understand why children at some state schools are mocked for reading.
Reply 110
Speaking PR gives you a better chance at promotion and job interviews
fadetogrey
I really don't understand why people attempt to look down on people who have more than themselves.

It's things like:
People who can't afford JW claim they hate it.
People who can't afford to go to public schools say that comprehensives are better.
People who speak with terribly common accents mock RP.

I'd rather be well dressed, well educated and well spoken than plebian.

I can see where you're coming from but at the same time I think that people with "more" tend to get a little too big for their boots sometimes.

I'm not rich and although I don't have a problem with people being rich, it can get annoying when it's flaunted. There's one guy in my Physics class is never stops talking about the fact that his dad earns 80K a year.

But I do speak properly and it annoys me when people try to mock my accent. Sometimes I use long words that not many people have heard of which which understandably irritate some people. But when I use simple words but pronounce everything properly, people still give me stick for it. It's almost as though it defines me. My friend made me this account, and created my username. I'm not about to change the way I speak just to please others.
Reply 112
as someone who couldn't care less about fashion, who when being involved in my choice of schooling decided to go to a state school, and speaks RP (even if I don't type it), I can honestly say that any mick taking in my case is entirely down to my own decisions (at the mo, mostly for A-levels I'm doing or something I just said), and for most people any stick that comes their way seems to be based on how they present themselves and their own choices.
Also, can you imagine a world where everyone shopped at JW
went to private schools
spoke RP????
sounds like a punishment to me!! Anyway, sorry to burst your bubble, but some people like to know a wide variety of people from all different background and find different accents fascinating: would they be happy at your private school
crazyjoyce
because its obvious that the person wearing the item clearly wouldn't usually shop at JW and has done purely for that one hoddie - just for the image it gives off

What's wrong with that though?
For Christmas, I bought myself a YSL clutch. I wouldn't normally shop there, and I only did it for one bag. Do you have to habitually shop somewhere?
I'd much rather have that one bag from YSL than 20 from Primark.

Latest

Trending

Trending