The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

I have an offer, but they've confused me

Yesterday afternoon I received an unconditional offer from Durham for " Combined Honours in Social Sciences (LMV0)". This is shown on UCAS.

However, their AES system has confused me, as it currently shows:

"Your application has been received by a College
A decision has not yet been made. Please visit the UCAS website for further details"

Therefore, have I actually got that offer? Also, is it definite (they won't retract it?), because the aforereferenced AES page also states:

"Please note that occasionally some applications are unsuccessful despite being sent to a college as the University is restricted in the number of home offers it can make and is committed to ensuring that departments and colleges do not make too many offers. Occasionally, a department may inadvertently make a few too many offers, as our monitoring systems are updated on a daily basis rather than in real-time. These applications are recalled within the University and, even though the AES may have shown that an application has been passed to a college for consideration, the University will not be in a position to make an offer and an unsuccessful decision will be recorded at UCAS."

In case it makes a difference, I didn't put down a college preference, UCAS currently states "Campus: 4" (which from the list, is St. Cuthberts - which, as a side note, never seems to get mentioned, so is it hideously crap or what?). Is this the final college or have I, at this stage, only been accepted to the University?

It all confuses me. :/
Reply 1
Hmm, I'm not sure.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
If it has come up on UCAS then you have an offer, and definitely from that college.

Ignore AES, it's ****.

Scobdem
Hmm, I'm not sure.

Stunningly helpful I must say :p:.
Reply 3
MyNameIsDave
Yesterday afternoon I received an unconditional offer from Durham for " Combined Honours in Social Sciences (LMV0)". This is shown on UCAS.

A decision has not yet been made. Please visit the UCAS website for further details"

Therefore, have I actually got that offer? Also, is it definite (they won't retract it?), because the aforereferenced AES page also states:

"Please note that occasionally some applications are unsuccessful despite being sent to a college as the University is restricted in the number of home offers it can make and is committed to ensuring that departments and colleges do not make too many offers. Occasionally, a department may inadvertently make a few too many offers, as our monitoring systems are updated on a daily basis rather than in real-time. These applications are recalled within the University and, even though the AES may have shown that an application has been passed to a college for consideration, the University will not be in a position to make an offer and an unsuccessful decision will be recorded at UCAS."

In case it makes a difference, I didn't put down a college preference, UCAS currently states "Campus: 4" (which from the list, is St. Cuthberts - which, as a side note, never seems to get mentioned, so is it hideously crap or what?). Is this the final college or have I, at this stage, only been accepted to the University?

Lol, I have something similar, where they gave me an offer on UCAS but on AEA my app has supposedly not yet been received by the college... UCAS offers are legally binding, iirc, so they can't retract it unless they have really good cause. It's final, you DO have an unconditional offer to Durham. Gz!
ring them up and ask!!

but yeh as its on ucas, you do have an offer. still worth ringing up and checking though
Reply 5
I'm pretty sure if the offer's come through on UCAS then it's definite. AES doesn't change straight away, like i have an offer and it still says that. UCAS is the one to go by. As for the college, if you made an open app then that's the college they have assigned you to, if that's what has come up on UCAS. Basically what UCAS says goes, from what i can gather. Hope that helps!
i'd just wait and see if they update AES. If they've put it onto UCAs, likelihood is it's for suuure.. congratulations :smile:
Reply 7
MyNameIsDave

AES lies! I got my offer and AES said that my application hadn't been passed on to the college, it is slow and inefficient! As long as it is on UCAS you can be sure it is true :biggrin:! Well done maybe I will see you there! Also the college on UCAS is the college you got into :biggrin:!
Congrats!
Reply 8
You definitely have an offer
Definitely
(congrats!! :biggrin:)
UCAS is the final decision and AES is ****..
In the bit you copied and pasted from the website, it says that AES is sometimes wrong, never UCAS lol :smile:
Reply 9
QBC123
AES lies! I got my offer and AES said that my application hadn't been passed on to the college, it is slow and inefficient! As long as it is on UCAS you can be sure it is true :biggrin:! Well done maybe I will see you there! Also the college on UCAS is the college you got into :biggrin:!
Congrats!

It must be liked that EUCLID/Ease thing Edinburgh have. Why can't they just leave the job to UCAS? :biggrin:
Rite
Lol, I have something similar, where they gave me an offer on UCAS but on AEA my app has supposedly not yet been received by the college... UCAS offers are legally binding, iirc, so they can't retract it unless they have really good cause. It's final, you DO have an unconditional offer to Durham. Gz!

LOL! WoW?
Reply 11
Bubbles*de*Milo
LOL! WoW?

Nope^^ But I did used to play GW for about 2-3 years =p (stopped end of last year). Old habits die hard :p:
Reply 12
Alright, that's good news then. They're supposed to contact me soon, so I guess once I get something through the post or whatever I'll be certain about it.
Reply 13
Maybe it takes a while to update?
u have a css offer?!
mind if i slightly hijack the thread to ask which subjects you're doing?

(btw yes, ucas is legally binding so congrats!)
Reply 15
Management and Sociology, pretty much. I know the specifics of what you do is picked later on, though.
Reply 16
Random update for nobody who cares - It changed today.

Latest