Slight dog - cat problem! Watch

dani_88
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
My dog will not leave the cat alone!

The cat is really old now, she's been around nearly as long as i have so she hasn't got much longer left.

Anyway the dog will not stop harrassing her.. we have a few cats and if any of the cats go anywhere near her, the dog growls and gets angry, and he's the same if any of us go anywhere near the cat too! He bit my brother earlier for going near the cat.

Mum says if the dog doesn't stop it then he's going to have to be re-homed and i really don't want him to go He's really good when he's with me. He's just well and truly obsessed with the cat..

But mum can't have tetanus so if the dog did ever get a bit too angry and bite or anything it'd be a danger to mum.

Any ideas on what we can do to stop the dog harrassing the cat? Keeping them seperate isn't an option because the house is small. I wondered if getting him 'done' might calm him down but then i don't have a clue about animals so apologies if i'm talking a load of crap there :p:
noisesandkisses
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
i wouldnt say hes harrassing the cat, id say hes more protective.
Fandellos
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yeah, since she is old and he is growling at anyone going near her, it sounds quite like protection....
carrotboy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dani_88)
My dog will not leave the cat alone!

The cat is really old now, she's been around nearly as long as i have so she hasn't got much longer left.

Anyway the dog will not stop harrassing her.. we have a few cats and if any of the cats go anywhere near her, the dog growls and gets angry, and he's the same if any of us go anywhere near the cat too! He bit my brother earlier for going near the cat.

Mum says if the dog doesn't stop it then he's going to have to be re-homed and i really don't want him to go He's really good when he's with me. He's just well and truly obsessed with the cat..

But mum can't have tetanus so if the dog did ever get a bit too angry and bite or anything it'd be a danger to mum.

Any ideas on what we can do to stop the dog harrassing the cat? Keeping them seperate isn't an option because the house is small. I wondered if getting him 'done' might calm him down but then i don't have a clue about animals so apologies if i'm talking a load of crap there :p:
Hmm, tricky! I know someone on here has dogs and cats, think it might be Glutamic Acid.
Go to the vets, they can surely do something to calm him down? But is it a hormone thing...or just, erm, OCD? :rolleyes:

Btw, you're avatar is just simply lovely!
tropical-twist3
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah getting him done should calm him down, but its sweet that he's protective of your cat. Maybe its unrequited love! But sometimes animal can sense pregnancies and illnesses and become protective...but then I gues if your cat is very old its unlikely to be pregnant.
dani_88
Rep:
?
He is very protective but he does harrass her too. Mum said she found him on top of her outside earlier on. The cats going a bit blind as it is, but because she's still got a spring in her step and the cats been around longer mum says the cat stays.

We all just had dinner and everyone around the table thinks the dog should go if there's no way of calming him down, i was the only one that thought we must be able to find a way to stop him being so OTT with the cat
dani_88
Rep:
?
Also.. the dog shakes.. and gets his head down like he's about to pounce almost.. if any of us go near the cat.. Mum's basically paranoid the dog will turn at any time and she doesn't want him hurting the kids..
x_Bex_x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
castration calming dogs down is a myth and as often as not makes them worse, go to your vets, they will advise you, you could always invest in an indoor kennel so you can give the cat some peace
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Going to your vet is probably a sensible option. They will hopefully be able to suggest something.

The fact that he is biting people really doesn't sound like a good thing
dani_88
Rep:
?
(Original post by randdom)
Going to your vet is probably a sensible option. They will hopefully be able to suggest something.

The fact that he is biting people really doesn't sound like a good thing
He hasn't actually bitten anyone yet. He nipped my brother but hasn't actually gone for anyone. He just growls and looks like he might..

Mums trialing keeping the cat seperated from the dog tonight to see how he gets on. But so far he's done nothing but howl and whine.. He's totally love sick i'm sure :p:
dani_88
Rep:
?
Ok.. the dog just bit me. Drew blood. Teeth marks. Not nice. Foot right hurts. All because i was stroking the cat and he tried to stop me!

Thank god i'm up to do date with my tetanus jabs eh :o:

Now mum says the dog definitely has to go
Nonsmoking
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Has this suddenly started, or has your dog always been aggressive? You need to train your dog properly to recognise that he is at the bottom of the family social structure and then he will always defer to you.
dani_88
Rep:
?
This is a recent thing.

He even went to get groomed the other day and she said for the first time ever (he's been going for years) that she had to muzzle him up.

He listens to mum, but he's starting to look like he's going to go for her now too.. And it's all over the friggin' cat!
dani_88
Rep:
?
Ok this dog situation is getting very much out of hand. He's now blocking me from being in the same room as the cat! And i'm quite terrified of him at the minute since he bit me earlier. He's just growling at me and baring his teeth anytime i try and enter the living room how can one dog go from bad to worse literally over night?!
JAgg
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dani_88)
Ok this dog situation is getting very much out of hand. He's now blocking me from being in the same room as the cat! And i'm quite terrified of him at the minute since he bit me earlier. He's just growling at me and baring his teeth anytime i try and enter the living room how can one dog go from bad to worse literally over night?!
Your cat has a plan to kill you and your dog is simply trying to save your life.
dani_88
Rep:
?
(Original post by JAgg)
Your cat has a plan to kill you and your dog is simply trying to save your life.
Haha i never thought of it that way :p:
generic hybrid
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by x_Bex_x)
castration calming dogs down is a myth and as often as not makes them worse
This is a load of rubbish.

You should take the dog to the vet. It sounds like your dog's personality has changed really suddenly and that's sometimes a sign that they're ill.
x_Bex_x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This is a load of rubbish.
out of interest why? In my recent animal behaviour lectures, at vet school, that is what they taught, so I'm really, really interested to here where you are getting your information from.
generic hybrid
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by x_Bex_x)
out of interest why? In my recent animal behaviour lectures, at vet school, that is what they taught, so I'm really, really interested to here where you are getting your information from.
Vet school? Hmm. Okay, that's interesting. I've just never heard that before except from the sort of people who think neutering their dogs is cruel or "unmanly" or whatever and then don't care if their dog escapes and knocks a bunch of other dogs up.
x_Bex_x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Vet school? Hmm. Okay,
check the sig, and look up the course code mate.

oh and i do agree with neutering as a rule, but the idea that it dramatically alters behaviours and can solve every singal problem is crap, if the dog is 'anxious' as it would appear this dog is then there have been studies that show it will most likely make the issue worse as it alters the dogs standing in the 'pack' or family. consequently the dog feels even more insecure in its position and will defend itself much more agressivly, therefore exacerbating the issue.

and if you still don't believe I'm a vet student check out where the vast majority of my posts are!

sheesh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (203)
27.58%
No (533)
72.42%

Watched Threads