Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone else have Doc appointment troubles? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well, i managed to get an appointment but i realised i cant make it cause im at uni (last time i was absent they said id been off for 18 hours...when id only been gone two...and i had told them when i was back and such) and plus i dont want to eat into my 15 days before i have to make up the time at the end of my course...im a student nurse and i have to do so many hours.

Anyway...my mum tried to get one for me while she was trying to get one and they said it would be TWO WEEKS before i could see anyone....now normally its two weeks to see your own GP...sometimes 3, but to see any doctor its usually less than a week...not now tho :mad:

Its absurd, i mean yeah if its serious you can go to out of hours etc, but say for example, my cousin who had seen a doctor about abdominal pain...might seem simple; the doctors didnt seem concerned....turned out he has chrone's (spelling?) disease and he had to have surgery and the consultant told him if it had been left any longer then he would have died.

So something like that could happen; an illness or ailment which appears to be trivial but you still want it checked and you cant see a doctor.

So anyone else had to wait this long to see a doctor...or longer?

ReputationRep:
    If it's that serious miss Uni. If not wait 2 weeks.

No I don't have to wait that long because my GP works on a 48 hr rule- where I can see a doc within 48hrs (most GPs do this now).

ReputationRep:
    There is a centrally set GP access target of 48 hours.

There are different types of appointment. Routine appoitments are for things like medication reviews or ongoing problems which could be planned well in advance. Emergency appoitnemts are for people who are freshly unwell and need to be seen relatively quickly (like your guy with abdo pain). These can usually not be booked in advance to stop them getting all full of routine stuff, but if you call up in the morning you should get an appointment. Call up yourself and you'll likely get a better result as you can put across how urgent you feel the problem is... you're not a kid.

Also... out of hours is for emergencies which crop up in the evenings or weekends and is not just a quick way of seeing a doctor whenever you want. Don't abuse OOH services.

ReputationRep:
    It takes 6 weeks for me to get an appointment wit my doctor back home, I go see him every few months for my prescription for a 3 month supply and my mum books it 6 weeks ahead because if you ring a week before you won't get an appointment.

For all other illnesses, you have to go see a Nurse Practitioner and then you wil only see a doctor if your illness is really bad.

ReputationRep:
    I ave tried phoning up in the mornings to get appointments before...after being told to ring then, but they always say there isnt any for at least a week....or sometimes they say to call back the next day cause there isnt any appointments at all.

Touche i only mentioned out of ours for serious illnesses. I wouldnt use it for non-serious illnesses...ive only used it when i had a lot of problems last year with UTI's

And i dont particularly want to wait two weeks; i wont mention why i want to go but i kinda wanted to be sorted before my birthday which is two weeks tomorrow.

Anyways, thanks for your comments, i hope my GP does eventually get the 48hour scheme, itll be so helpful. My mum couldnt even get an appointment so the receptionists told her to phone the duty doctor because the surgery was so busy....i dont fancy doing that but im going to see them tomorrow and see if i can work an appointment around my timetable.

sweetlovinchick: 6 weeks! wow youll have gotten better by then, and had time to get ill again :rolleyes:

Still, you gotta admire the docs for trying their best (hopefully)

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.