Which calculator for FP1 Watch

ganyalex
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello all
I finished Core 1, so Im guessing all modules in Maths/further maths are allowed to use calculators?

If so, which graphic calculators are permitted/banned? I dont know which one to buy :confused: I'll pay around 25-ish...soo help please

Thanks
Kolya
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
I recommend a straightforward calculator. I believe the Casio 85ES is a good, simple one.
BJack
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd recommend getting a Casio Fx-991 ES.
dasmojo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
one that does matrices can be handy for FP1
ganyalex
Which calculator does matrices, and graphs? and is permitted??
thanks
ganyalex
oh and also i need a calculator which I can change the base on the logarithms
Adjective
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Get a Casio fx-991ES. It's good.
Moronic Acid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by BJack)
I'd recommend getting a Casio Fx-991 ES.
:ditto:

Has served me well many a time :p:
The Muon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would get a Casio fx-911ES but if youre feeling a bit cheap then get the FX83ES
ganyalex
Anything wrong with this one: http://www.homebargainswales.com/pag...roduct_id/1672
Or a Texas Insturments, or HP one? 20-30 quid?
EmpMartinIV
Report 9 years ago
Matrices ones aren't that useful. The questions tend to have variables in, so you can't do them on your calculator anyway
The Muon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Believe it or not I actually have the model up from thi, the 7700gh and I can tell you that as far as calulators go it is not bad. Bit old and chunky though. You are better just getting a fx991 because the extra money you spend on the ability to draw graphs is practically wasted.
azhao
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Casio fx-9750 £45 but its really worth it for stuff like stats and checking your integration/differentiation questions.
BJack
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ganyalex)
Anything wrong with this one: http://www.homebargainswales.com/pag...roduct_id/1672
Or a Texas Insturments, or HP one? 20-30 quid?
I don't know about the Casio you linked to, but programmable calculators are {rarely/never} allowed because you can do far too much with them. TIs are excellent, especially for a quick game of Mario mid-lesson ( >_> ), but you'd need to find something else for the exam.
orionmoo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A graphical one to help you with drawing the graphs - see if the school can lend you one for the exam, first. Ours did. And after that, just your normal casio one (however, the newer version that solves quadratic cubic and simultaneous equations, can do complex numbers, integration, summations and d/dx would be a better bet. Can help you avoid any slip ups with working out -i^2 and such.
Chriz M
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You can have a look here:
http://www.studentcalculators.co.uk/...lculators.html
They are quite cheap.
I would either get the FX-991ES which can do complex numbers and matrices, but It can't do graphs. It is under £10 from the link above (go to menu, then scientific calculators)
Or get:
Either the FX-9850GA+ (£41) or FX-9860G Slim (£52). They are really good calculators (I have the FX-9860G Slim) and the will do complex numbers, matrices and they will draw graphs. I'm doing FP1 now, and it is really useful for checking your answers. Getting a graphics calculator would be really useful for most maths modules. It is the biggest help for you in your exams* (except revision) [*In my opinion]
Chriz M
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by BJack)
I don't know about the Casio you linked to, but programmable calculators are {rarely/never} allowed because you can do far too much with them. TIs are excellent, especially for a quick game of Mario mid-lesson ( >_> ), but you'd need to find something else for the exam.
This isn't true, as long as you delete all the programs off your calculator it is completely legal!
Horizontal 8
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Chriz M)
This isn't true, as long as you delete all the programs off your calculator it is completely legal!
Yep as long as the memory is cleared and no symbolic calculus/algebra can be done by the calculator you're allowed it hence why I love my TI 84+
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Do you like exams?