Interrail 2009 Watch

colly92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey there me and 3 friends are thinking about interrailing through europe form the 1st of July-30 July. and we are all 17 and 18 year olds!

Could anybody give me tips about interail trips?
And how much money to take, 1000 euros each would that be enough for 1 month?
And any dangers to be aware of when on an interrail?
bradburyj
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
bump as I am interested also
Cynical Optimist
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Same, gonna go for 3 weeks and spend as little money as possible though...
foodle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you'll definitly need more than 1000 euros
Pyrrho101
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Europe on a Shoestring by Lonely Planets - invaluable!

Dangers? Nothing other than the usual big city advice during the day. Be vigilant on night-trains, although I didn't have any problems at all.

My itinery below. Any questions? Feel free to ask...

Spoiler:
Show
7/7 - London > Athens
9/7 Athens > Theseloniki > Sofia (night)
12/7 Sofia > Belgrade
14/7 Belgrade > Sarajevo (night)
15/7 Sarajevo > Split
17/7 Split > Zagreb (night)
19/7 Zagrb > Lubljuana
21/7 Lub > Bleg
22/7 Bled > Lub > Budapest (night)
25/7 Budapest > Bratislava (night)
26/7 Bratislava > Vienna
29/6 Vienna > Munich (night)
31/7 Munich > Berlin (night)
4/8 Berlin > Warsaw
5/8 Warsaw > Krakow (night)
7/8 Krakow > Prague (night)
11/8 Prague > London
colly92
Rep:
?
(Original post by foodle)
you'll definitly need more than 1000 euros
Me and my friends thought that 1000 euros would do us for the whole month which includes hostels and food etc.
dougiemacs
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i was going to go may not now, what with the pound against the euro- going to cost about 40% more!
colly92
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pyrrho101)
Europe on a Shoestring by Lonely Planets - invaluable!

Dangers? Nothing other than the usual big city advice during the day. Be vigilant on night-trains, although I didn't have any problems at all.

My itinery below. Any questions? Feel free to ask...

Spoiler:
Show
7/7 - London > Athens
9/7 Athens > Theseloniki > Sofia (night)
12/7 Sofia > Belgrade
14/7 Belgrade > Sarajevo (night)
15/7 Sarajevo > Split
17/7 Split > Zagreb (night)
19/7 Zagrb > Lubljuana
21/7 Lub > Bleg
22/7 Bled > Lub > Budapest (night)
25/7 Budapest > Bratislava (night)
26/7 Bratislava > Vienna
29/6 Vienna > Munich (night)
31/7 Munich > Berlin (night)
4/8 Berlin > Warsaw
5/8 Warsaw > Krakow (night)
7/8 Krakow > Prague (night)
11/8 Prague > London
Did you do all of those country's in one month? We are thinking of most of those country's that you have stated in your itinery!
Yeah i must buy that book, thanks for the tip on the book!
How much cash did u bring?
GdotL
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ah wow I'm going with my friends too, but we're staying in Western Europe...
zav
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I really want to but can't due to the Euro being so high Time to go to Canada I think
Chris#1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did spain for a month on a 1000 euros, inc. hostel and travel last year, so it should be fine if you budget carefully-ish. I'll be on a similar amount if/when I inter-rail this summer
Fandellos
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by colly92)
Hey there me and 3 friends are thinking about interrailing through europe form the 1st of July-30 July. and we are all 17 and 18 year olds!

Could anybody give me tips about interail trips?
And how much money to take, 1000 euros each would that be enough for 1 month?
And any dangers to be aware of when on an interrail?
that is so weird. me and my friends are going to italy using interrail on those (near enough) exact dates!!!
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Any questions, please feel free to PM.
I am writing this because I was overawed by the great experiences that travelling of this sort can bring, and the way it really can open your eyes to new perspectives.
I went Interrailing this summer with a few friends, spending about 3/4 days in each of the places mentioned below.

1) Eurostar to Paris
2) Interrail from then onwards. First stop- Pamplona for the bull-run... AMAZING
3) Some really random places in Spain on the way to...
4) Barcelona, one of the best cities on the trip. The perfect fusion of culture and all out fun (Note: DO NOT drink three quarters of a bottle of Absinthe ON YOUR OWN and then go traipsing around Barca) [Actually, go for it.. it was quite fun]
5) Nice
6) Monaco
7) Venice
8) 17 hour train journey to Budapest
9) Prague
10) Berlin
11) 'Dam

once again, for specifics, feel free to PM
1000 Euros is the perfect sum to take (on a post office card, naturally)
xxx
Pyrrho101
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Did you do all of those country's in one month? We are thinking of most of those country's that you have stated in your itinery!
Yeah i must buy that book, thanks for the tip on the book!
How much cash did u bring?
Check the itinerary, it has the dates (so no, it was a tad longer than a month).

I didn't "bring" cash. I had my debit card and no preconceived budget.

Ended up spending around £1600. That included everything;
- inter rail ticket (month pass)
-flights (London to Athens. Prague to London)
- food, accommodation, sights, travel (Inter-rail doesn't cover the total cost of night trains or express trains (or buses!!))
- shopping (H&M's are all over Europe!)
- beer everyday (lots too. Some countries it was 50p a pint, others £4).
colly92
Rep:
?
Check the itinerary, it has the dates (so no, it was a tad longer than a month).

I didn't "bring" cash. I had my debit card and no preconceived budget.

Ended up spending around £1600. That included everything;
- inter rail ticket (month pass)
-flights (London to Athens. Prague to London)
- food, accommodation, sights, travel (Inter-rail doesn't cover the total cost of night trains or express trains (or buses!!))
- shopping (H&M's are all over Europe!)
- beer everyday (lots too. Some countries it was 50p a pint, others £4).
Yeah my buget is 500 for flights and train ticket! Then 1000 euro spending money, would you recommed bringing debit cards, i was thinking about it but what if i lost it i would rather have cash with me on it!
Cynical Optimist
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 1361)
That's a good point actually, what is the best way of storing your money? I don't know much about how traveler cheques and things work... But if I have money in Euros, can i just put them onto an account and withdraw them anywhere?
THFC_82
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am genuinely considering doing this in April/May/June, but I am worried by the £'s crash in value. Also, I spent ages looking at the Rouge Guide to Europe on Budget in Waterstones yesterday, and I was left confused by the whole surcharges, night trains, etc....

The whole concept sounds fantastic, though. I really want to visit Germany, Austria, Poland, Czech Rep, Hungary and Croatia, as I've never been to any of these countries. However, at the same time I'd love to see parts of Spain and Italy I've never been to.
colly92
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1361)
Any questions, please feel free to PM.
I am writing this because I was overawed by the great experiences that travelling of this sort can bring, and the way it really can open your eyes to new perspectives.
I went Interrailing this summer with a few friends, spending about 3/4 days in each of the places mentioned below.

1) Eurostar to Paris
2) Interrail from then onwards. First stop- Pamplona for the bull-run... AMAZING
3) Some really random places in Spain on the way to...
4) Barcelona, one of the best cities on the trip. The perfect fusion of culture and all out fun (Note: DO NOT drink three quarters of a bottle of Absinthe ON YOUR OWN and then go traipsing around Barca) [Actually, go for it.. it was quite fun]
5) Nice
6) Monaco
7) Venice
8) 17 hour train journey to Budapest
9) Prague
10) Berlin
11) 'Dam

once again, for specifics, feel free to PM
xxx
Me and friends are thinking about visiting most of those you went on, but the 17 hour train journey?
Take the money on post office card, can a post office card be used in any country? Is it risky taking 1000 euros in my pocket?
Pyrrho101
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah my buget is 500 for flights and train ticket! Then 1000 euro spending money, would you recommed bringing debit cards, i was thinking about it but what if i lost it i would rather have cash with me on it!
If you think you are going to lose anything, lose the debit card, not the cash. Cards can be replaced.

Take a couple of debit cards and have Internet banking set up.

Having debit cards made it so easy. Here's the scenario;
Arrive at 8am in new country.
Go to cash point.
Draw £50 in local currency.
Spend 3 days and £50 in country.
(Optional; draw £30 more to cover big night out)
Board train.
Repeat.

But what about bank fees? On €1000 it going to be pretty small in the long run (£20-30ish), but you have the convenience mentioned above. If anything were to happen to one of your cards, simply transfer your remaining money into your second card (Internet banking). You have the added benefit of being able to keep track of your spending via online banking (although transactions have a 3-5 day delay, we found out).

I'd not of been happy sleeping rough (only happened once mind you!) with hundreds of Euros in my back pocket, that's for sure! Changing cash will also make you vulnerable to bad exchange rates/out right rip off. At least at an ATM you know it's associated to a bank!
colly92
Rep:
?
If you think you are going to lose anything, lose the debit card, not the cash. Cards can be replaced.

Take a couple of debit cards and have Internet banking set up.

Having debit cards made it so easy. Here's the scenario;
Arrive at 8am in new country.
Go to cash point.
Draw £50 in local currency.
Spend 3 days and £50 in country.
(Optional; draw £30 more to cover big night out)
Board train.
Repeat.

But what about bank fees? On €1000 it going to be pretty small in the long run (£20-30ish), but you have the convenience mentioned above. If anything were to happen to one of your cards, simply transfer your remaining money into your second card (Internet banking). You have the added benefit of being able to keep track of your spending via online banking (although transactions have a 3-5 day delay, we found out).

I'd not of been happy sleeping rough (only happened once mind you!) with hundreds of Euros in my back pocket, that's for sure! Changing cash will also make you vulnerable to bad exchange rates/out right rip off. At least at an ATM you know it's associated to a bank!
Yeah i think you are right by bringing a debit card!

Yeah i wouldn't want to sleep rough with hundreds of euros in my pocket!
I was thinking about bringing a sleeping bag and a small tent just incase me and my friends couldn't find a place to stay. Did u bring any tents?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (34)
97.14%
No (1)
2.86%

Watched Threads