Getting a moped/scooter? Watch

epoxi
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi,

I'm 18 years old, staying in London commuting 10 miles a day and I'm fed up of riding my bicycle...which is quicker and cheaper than the bus.

I'm considering a scooter or moped instead. I wanted to install a motor on my bicycle but they're not exactly road legal.

I have a full UK driving license with 1 year car NCB, but nothing else. What do I need to take if I want to ride on my own on a small capacity bike?

What's my cheapest motorised option to get around? (Including tax, MOT, insurance, petrol, depreciation...everything) Price of the bike itself isn't too much of an issue as long as it holds its value well.

I can't have a bike bigger than 2m long or 1m wide because of congestion charge.

Not too bothered about looking cool: anything's better than a bicycle!

Cheers in advance...
terpineol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To ride up to a 125cc you need CBT, which is normally I believe about £100.

I'm not certain enough about any other specifics to give any good pointers.
Bathwiggle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You'll need a CBT to ride upto a 125 with L plates. and that is valid for 2 years. Tax should be about£35 or slightly less as thats what it was for my motorbike. You need a helmet, jacket and gloves minimum, protective trousers are a very good idea. The helmet can be from £45, gloves about £30, jacket about £50 and trousers from £20 which are waterproof and with armour .

My bike was £700 not brand new, but was a 400cc engine (i had to get it restricted) you should be able to get a 125cc for about £500.

there cant be many bikes that are bigger than 2m long or 1m wide so your probably safe there!
Cowtipper
Badges: 12
Report 9 years ago
Tax will be £15 for a 125cc.
Make sure you spend a bit more on helmet. I'd recommend no less than £100.
I would recommend you wear ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time): that means Helmet, Gloves, Jacket, Boots. Trousers are optional for scoots imo.

A scooter is very cost-effective. You're looking at about £20 a tank at around 50mpg, with room for shopping in under-seat storage and unbeatable manoeuvrability in the city. Go for it!
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Trousers are optional, so long as your wearing jeans, coming off at 30mph isnt fun in work trousers. And they are a plus in the rain.

Both me a my bf have come off in £45 helmets and not have any problems, but we did both get cheaper ones for the first year and we were both told that we would be likely to come off in that time. He managed to come off in 2 weeks after passing his motorbike test.

His helmet is now £150 mine is a £45 reduced from £120
Cowtipper
Report 9 years ago
You can get a cheaper helmet, as long as it has a gold sticker on the back. This means it's approved by the AdV (I think) and it'll provide the best protection in a crash.
Jeans really don't offer any protection at high speed if you're thinking about commuting on open roads. In my worst crash (60mph off into a telephone pole) my jeans shredded to nothing in about three seconds of road sliding and left some lovely burn marks, but this isn't likely on a commute-a-scoot. I wear Draggin Jeans these days, which cost about £100 and look and feel like normal jeans. The difference is they're made of kevlar and have spaces for CE inserts.
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I was alright in a good pair of jeans at 40mph but i definatly recommend people get over trousers or draggin jeans. I love the adver for them too.

Re the helmet sticker i was told on the motorbike society:

The gold sticker is the British motorcycle sport ACU approved sticker. It basically means you can wear it on a race track if you ever wanted to race around Brands Hatch or something. Any helmets you buy from a proper store in Britain must (I'm fairly certain) be of a specific standard and will have the standard sticker on the back. Mine has 'ECE R22-05' on a sticker with the helmet size and weight, and then next to it the ACU gold stamp thing.
If you're interested in safety, you may like to check this out: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/
Helmet safety ratings and stuff. It's a fairly new thing so I don't know exactly how precise it is, but should give a half decent idea of how safe a particular helmet actually is.
samba
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You can ride a bicycle with an electric motor as long as it doesn't exceed 14mph. Perfectly legal, and a nice clean way to ride [especially as you can leave the motor off when you're not in a hurry]
epoxi
@samba, thanks for the suggestion, but I live in a flat so charging is a big problem.

Thanks for all the advice guys, this is very tempting.

So insurance isn't an issue? Do you not need any for <125cc?

As for safety, I can relax a few aspects (e.g. trousers) as I am unlikely to even touch 30mph around here: I'm more interested in not having to pedal than speeding around.

Also: I've seen quite a few learners delivering Dominoes etc. how well does this pay? I could balance out the costs in my spare time.
Cowtipper
Report 9 years ago
Yes, you will need to be insured.
However, it's not likely that it will be very expensive, especially if you have no claims already.

Try running it through http://www.bennetts.co.uk/ for an idea of the sort of quote you'll be looking at.
As always, you can bargain a LOT if you phone insurance companies direct and play them off against each other.
dontlookhere
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If I were you I would go for a 50cc instead in london, in the end youll prob save about £300-400 a year, and because your over 17 your allowed to derestric it so itll go about 50 instead of 30
Cowtipper
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dontlookhere)
If I were you I would go for a 50cc instead in london, in the end youll prob save about £300-400 a year, and because your over 17 your allowed to derestric it so itll go about 50 instead of 30
I wouldn't recommend it. Two-stroke engines are finnicky and less reliable than four strokes. They don't stand up to abuse well and are prone to seizing, which is not a pleasant experience when it happens. Because 50cc 2t mopeds are the staple of chavs, you'll be hard pressed to find an unabused one. They're also more expensive to run in the long run as 2ts run on a mixture of oil and petrol and the oil costs a bomb.

Stick with a 125. Honda is a good bet as they're well known for being indestructable, but in reality anything will do really.
dontlookhere
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Cowtipper)
I wouldn't recommend it. Two-stroke engines are finnicky and less reliable than four strokes. They don't stand up to abuse well and are prone to seizing, which is not a pleasant experience when it happens. Because 50cc 2t mopeds are the staple of chavs, you'll be hard pressed to find an unabused one. They're also more expensive to run in the long run as 2ts run on a mixture of oil and petrol and the oil costs a bomb.

Stick with a 125. Honda is a good bet as they're well known for being indestructable, but in reality anything will do really.
lol, firstly not all 50cc's are 2 stroke, secondly they are INCREDIBLY reliable, i hade one 5 years old for 3 year with one problem - the battery. and also its total rubbish that theyre the staple of chavs, in fact there are loads more 50cc's on the market because of college students driving them so theyre cheaper and more availible. thirdly, oil is no more expensive than 4 stroke coz funnily enough, ALL engines require oil. and finally, you got a spare £2,500 to splash out on a Honda 125?
Talya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dontlookhere)
fifty?! I'll believe it when I see it.
dontlookhere
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Talya)
I have a video of me on my moped going 65 on the speedo, ill upload to youtube sometime and send it to you ive done that next to a car too.
MichaelG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by epoxi)
Hi,

I'm 18 years old, staying in London commuting 10 miles a day and I'm fed up of riding my bicycle...which is quicker and cheaper than the bus.

I'm considering a scooter or moped instead. I wanted to install a motor on my bicycle but they're not exactly road legal.

I have a full UK driving license with 1 year car NCB, but nothing else. What do I need to take if I want to ride on my own on a small capacity bike?

What's my cheapest motorised option to get around? (Including tax, MOT, insurance, petrol, depreciation...everything) Price of the bike itself isn't too much of an issue as long as it holds its value well.

I can't have a bike bigger than 2m long or 1m wide because of congestion charge.

Not too bothered about looking cool: anything's better than a bicycle!

Cheers in advance...

an electric bicycle?
dontlookhere
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Talya)
Apoligies for quality, twas taken on my phone if you pause it at 3:25 you can see the speedo quite clearly, the white digits are kph and they go up to 80 (50mph), youll see the needle has gone well past it, and this isnt even the top speed of the moped! sadly its gone now though made way for a crap car
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mo1JPdrKEeY
epoxi
Nice video, but I'd take it down/edit it, I've heard stories of people actually being prosecuted with their own evidence!

Edit: Never mind, it's a dual carriageway.
dontlookhere
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by epoxi)
Nice video, but I'd take it down/edit it, I've heard stories of people actually being prosecuted with their own evidence!

Edit: Never mind, it's a dual carriageway.
im not worried in the slightest, and what are you thinking of doing now then? buy a 125?
epoxi
If I do get a scooter/moped, it's likely to be a 50cc: cheapest in terms of insurance, tax and petrol, plus I don't need any more power.

I'm a bit conerned if it would be worth it though: it would be a lot more than the amount I'm paying to maintain my bike now, and the only benefit in terms of convenience is not pedalling.

It would be a great help if someone could just quote a round figure (including all expenses of every kind for one year, excluding the value of the bike), for an 18 year old on a 50cc.

I'm tempted to install a 50cc engine on my bike though so I can choose whether to pedal or not (supposedly you get 150 miles @ 30mph for £3.00). If only it was a legal option...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.09%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.38%
No I don't (547)
48.54%

Watched Threads