Bgi Watch

UglyDuckling
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi.

I really don't feel like starting a new thread for such a small matter, but I'm curious. Has anyone heard anything back from BGI?
trachea
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
last email i got from them was, i applied to the investment management trainee programme or whatever is closest to that, cant really remember tbh:

"Dear Applicant,

Now that the deadline for our graduate vacancies has passed, we are pleased to inform you that you have passed the initial round of screening.

Should your application successfully pass this second phase of screening, we will be in touch with you by the end of January. If you do not hear from us by that time, your application will have been unsuccessful.

Kind regards,

BGI Graduate Recruitment & Development"

received this on Jan 1st.
greenyblue_eyes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i applied for internship. heard nothing other than initial e-mail.

look on nicube at the chatter on there, a lot of people think that they're buying themselves a bit of time with the above e-mail for grad recruiting.
trachea
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i agree with the above, i dont reckon theyll hire. its pretty bleak in fund management, ive applied alongside IBs to specific investment houses and been told by many they wont take on grads. worst experience is with threadneedle, got to final four people, they take two, one in eq and one in FI, this was after app form, tests, tele int, assessment centre, then two more separate rounds of interviews with fund managers incl the CIO all for them to turn around and say they are freezing hiring and reinterview us 4 in june if things change. rubbish!!
greenyblue_eyes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by trachea)
i agree with the above, i dont reckon theyll hire. its pretty bleak in fund management, ive applied alongside IBs to specific investment houses and been told by many they wont take on grads. worst experience is with threadneedle, got to final four people, they take two, one in eq and one in FI, this was after app form, tests, tele int, assessment centre, then two more separate rounds of interviews with fund managers incl the CIO all for them to turn around and say they are freezing hiring and reinterview us 4 in june if things change. rubbish!!
my applications are for internships but its a very similar picture; HSBC hired two people for interning in AM this year. That's the only AM app that has actually interviewed so far, I've had some luck in BB trading and prop firms, but still waiting on most of the IM houses to start their recruitment processes.

such is life.
trachea
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
latest correspondence, theyll get back to intern and grad applicants who have got this far by march:

Dear Applicant,

We wanted to follow up with you regarding your application to the Barclays Global Investors Graduate Development Programme.

We are continuing to review our hiring plans for 2009 graduate and internship entry and this includes determining our hiring locations and recruiting businesses. We will contact you again in March to confirm if you have been successful in being selected for the next stage of the recruitment process.

Thank you for your continuing interest in BGI and should you have any immediate questions please respond directly to this communication.

Kind regards

Barclays Global Investors
Graduate Recruitment & Development
greenyblue_eyes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
lolzzzz.

March? Bit risky - especially for grads. Smells a little of RBS's recent 'recruitment' approach.
greenyblue_eyes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
to add: i just received that e-mail too. They clearly haven't started looking at applications given I'm fairly sure its an auto-reject if you applied to BarCap as well.
Stomm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think that HR might be busy with more pressing concerns than dealing with grads at the moment...
UglyDuckling
Rep:
?
I received that too.

By the way, is it possible to send another CV for updates?
trachea
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
no harm in trying uglyduckling. tbh i dont reckon bgi will come to much as ppl have said above. any of you aspiring fund managers got Ruffer interviews next week? i bet you they arent hiring either. im reaching the end of my tether with grad applications.....i think im going just take up one of my masters offers and go travelling (on gap year atm). good luck peoples.
UglyDuckling
Rep:
?
(Original post by trachea)
no harm in trying uglyduckling. tbh i dont reckon bgi will come to much as ppl have said above. any of you aspiring fund managers got Ruffer interviews next week? i bet you they arent hiring either. im reaching the end of my tether with grad applications.....i think im going just take up one of my masters offers and go travelling (on gap year atm). good luck peoples.
Good for you. I'm running out of money and I can't afford doing a master or go travelling.
greenyblue_eyes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i've another year left on my degree anyway, so time yet. Ruffer haven't sent out intern interview dates yet (I don't think), but good luck with your grad interview. They look an interesting firm to work for, one of them writes for the spectator etc.
trachea
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yeah well ill give you some tips post grad interview. they seem to be one of the few inv houses with a sense of humour re: their website. i like the part saying how experienced their FMs are and there is a knife thrower pictured...altho the whole website is a bit budget, but you know they know their **** with jonathan ruffer at the helm and mr odey as a non exec director- watch evan davis second program on iplayer as its got odey on it - absolute comedy, odey is too rich to function i think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (84)
26.09%
No (238)
73.91%

Watched Threads