The Student Room Group

GNVQ - Worth anything?

I heard that soon GNVQ ICT wont be worth anything thanks to the european qualification thats now available (ECDL) - is this true?
Im taking GNVQ ICT and im finding it soo simple that its boring - meaning i get mediocre results cus im no longer motivated - should i continue with the course if its not going to be worth anything in the future?
Reply 1
Unregistered001
I heard that soon GNVQ ICT wont be worth anything thanks to the european qualification thats now available (ECDL) - is this true?
Im taking GNVQ ICT and im finding it soo simple that its boring - meaning i get mediocre results cus im no longer motivated - should i continue with the course if its not going to be worth anything in the future?

How is it you can find something so simple yet be mediocre at it?

And if you are finding it that simple, you should probably consider something more academic.
Reply 2
European what? Of course it's worth something. It always will be. :smile:
Reply 3
Stevie G
How is it you can find something so simple yet be mediocre at it?

Maybe it's because he's normal and you're not. Your head is so big, your heart has trouble pumping blood round it.
Reply 4
No.

John
Reply 5
Original post by Unreg&#1110
Maybe it's because he's normal and you're not. Your head is so big, your heart has trouble pumping blood round it.

I don't see anything big-headed about what I said. Sorry if it came out that way, but I don't see anything wrong with it.
Reply 6
When i say im mediocre at it, i mean that i can do all the work with no problem (eg create powerpoint presentations) but because its soo easy i can't be bothered to string together a decent write up - which is what the GNVQ people look at (therefore i get mediocre marks - not for the "work" but for the "write-up")

The thing i hate the most in a GNVQ is that you have to explain EVERYTHING and show that you do things that most computer literate people do automatically - its just writing the obvious over and over - nobody cares how amazing your website is - just how well you can write about it. It may as well be an english course.
Reply 7
The ECDL is a "European Computer Driving License" - its a GNVQ but only exams (as far as i know) - no stupid reports etc.
Reply 8
Unregistered001
When i say im mediocre at it, i mean that i can do all the work with no problem (eg create powerpoint presentations) but because its soo easy i can't be bothered to string together a decent write up - which is what the GNVQ people look at (therefore i get mediocre marks - not for the "work" but for the "write-up")

The thing i hate the most in a GNVQ is that you have to explain EVERYTHING and show that you do things that most computer literate people do automatically - its just writing the obvious over and over - nobody cares how amazing your website is - just how well you can write about it. It may as well be an english course.

Plagiarise
Reply 9
I think thats cheating m8
Reply 10
Are there any alternate courses to a GNVQ? - preferably one that looks at the "work and not the "Write-up"
Reply 11
Unregistered001
Are there any alternate courses to a GNVQ? - preferably one that looks at the "work and not the "Write-up"

A-Level ICT, maybe?

Not sure though.
Reply 12
Stevie G
A-Level ICT, maybe?

Not sure though.

The ECDL is not looked upon favorably by employers - do a ICT A-level.
Reply 13
I did a GNVQ and some poeple said it was a worthless qualification. I got into Uni and am expecting a 1st and am applying for jobs with starting salaries between £18000 and £25000, so its not a worthless qualification. The way you have to look at it is, what do you want to do when you older? If you dont know it doesnt matter, just try hard at whatever your doing and it will reflect well on you when you do decide what you want to do. You have to have the right work ethic otherwise you may as well give up. I imagine your still young so when you finish this qualification you can do another, just make sure you research it well before you start, talk to students that are currently doing it, its allways the best option.
Hope this helps
Reply 14
it is deffo still recognised!! next year i think most of them r changing but they will still b recognised qualifications
The ECDL is worthless unless you're competent with a computer but have nothing in writing that proves it.
Reply 16
I have the same probs

i know how to do it all but the write ups are just killing me

Latest

Trending

Trending