Turn on thread page Beta

Venetian starting 'starting strength' watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I have been training for a while now but have never kept a blog and thought it might be useful for keeping track of progress and whatnot

Height: 6'1"
    Weight: 70kg ish

I've been running Rippetoes for a couple of months now and plan on staying with it until i cant really make any more gains, will probably either move on to the Texas Method or something Westside when this happens. In the past i've used a few different things like stronglifts and 20 rep squat programs but have never really stuck to them that well and so i figure this blog will probs help me keep motivated.

I will be working out using the standard starting strength program but will also be adding weighted dips after workout A and chins after workout B for a bit of assistance work so my program looks like this:

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift
    3x5 Dips

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    5x3 Power cleans
    3xf Chins

My current lifts are as follows:

Squat: 3x5x90kg
    Bench: 3x5x65kg
    Deadlift: 1x5x110kg
    Press: 3x5x40kg
    Dips:3x5x12kg

Don't really have a power clean max as i started with rows but am now getting used to cleans and will start with them for 5x3x50kg next time i train

I usually train on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday and am currently trying to put on a decent bit of weight as im way too light for my height, but my diet has always been a bit of an issue as im too lazy to pack away a load of calories so any tips for good bulk food would be much appreciated :p:

I'll be training tommorow so i'll put my first workout up then

ReputationRep:
    Good luck mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Venetian)
    Hey, I have been training for a while now but have never kept a blog and thought it might be useful for keeping track of progress and whatnot

Height: 6'1"
    Weight: 70kg ish

I've been running Rippetoes for a couple of months now and plan on staying with it until i cant really make any more gains, will probably either move on to the Texas Method or something Westside when this happens. In the past i've used a few different things like stronglifts and 20 rep squat programs but have never really stuck to them that well and so i figure this blog will probs help me keep motivated.

I will be working out using the standard starting strength program but will also be adding weighted dips after workout A and chins after workout B for a bit of assistance work so my program looks like this:

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift
    3x5 Dips

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    5x3 Power cleans
    3xf Chins

My current lifts are as follows:

Squat: 3x5x90kg
    Bench: 3x5x65kg
    Deadlift: 1x5x110kg
    Press: 3x5x40kg
    Dips:3x5x12kg

Don't really have a power clean max as i started with rows but am now getting used to cleans and will start with them for 5x3x50kg next time i train

I usually train on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday and am currently trying to put on a decent bit of weight as im way too light for my height, but my diet has always been a bit of an issue as im too lazy to pack away a load of calories so any tips for good bulk food would be much appreciated :p:

I'll be training tommorow so i'll put my first workout up then
    Very similar to my lifts. Good luck mate.

ReputationRep:
    Likewise, reasonably similar to my lifts (although my upper body strength is awful). Sounds like you know what you're on about, good luck! Oh and I guess the easiest way to pack in the cals is milk, and more milk.

ReputationRep:
    Not bad lifts for someone of your weight (at that height, anyway). Good luck with it.

Tips for getting more food in: if, like me, you have trouble eating very large meals then finding ways to pack in extra calories through good snacks is important. Nuts are excellent because they're easy to eat and have lots of calories and lots of protein. Get into drinking milk instead of water when you're thirsty. Always have small, quick to prepare food items around - like tins of mackerel; great for you and you can just open the tin and go for it, no preparation required.

ReputationRep:
    Just got back from the gym today

Squat:

20kg 2x5
    50kg x5
    60kg x5
    80kg x3
    92.5kg x5
    92.5kg x5
    92.5kg x5

Press:

20kg x5
    30kg x5
    40kg x5
    40kg x4
    40kg x4

Power Cleans:

40kg x3
    50kg x3
    50kg x3
    50kg x3
    50kg x3
    50kg x3

Chins:

bw x 5
    bw x 3
    bw x 1

Had some time to kill after so just did some abs and a bit of back work

Main workout went alright today got all my squats but a few of them felt a bit high, think i'll up this for next workout anyway. Press was pretty annoying it felt fine for the first set but i was doing it inside the power rack and on my second set the plates hit the part you can attach bands too which put me off getting the last rep and so i reckon i'll probs go for 42.5kg next workout. Cleans felt light so i think i'll probably get quite a lot of noob gains out of them in the coming weeks. Chins were strict but i'm so **** at doing them.

i weighed in at a little over 70kg on the gym scales which is good think i'll try and get some nuts as that sounds like a good idea for some extra calories and maybe see if i can up my milk consumption from 3/4 pints a day to the full GOMAD

ReputationRep:
    If you think your squats are high, video them and post them up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    If you think your squats are high, video them and post them up
    Thats not a bad idea actually i'll bring my phone along next wednesday and try to film a couple of sets cause it would be nice to get a bit of feedback

ReputationRep:
    doing the same thing. unfortunately my squats have been one massive load of fail even though my bench has moved up quite a bit. not going to say how much i squat because it's so pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with having the good bench/bad squat thing man. I weigh 69 kg and bench 62.5 x 6, which is quite good considering I know people 10kg more than me that bench like 55x5, which is less than me, but then they've got the upper hand on the squat which is usually like 90+ and mine is just a measly 70.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Get into drinking milk instead of water when you're thirsty.
    I don't like your wording there chumbaniya! Get what you're saying but water is one of the most important aspects of your diet. You want to be drinking plenty of water and milk (if that's where you choose to get part of your calories/protein from).
    sorry to be anal

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with your training.

You could always do some touch and go box squats so you can guarantee depth. If you don't touch, you haven't reached depth...simple as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bishbashbosh)
    I don't like your wording there chumbaniya! Get what you're saying but water is one of the most important aspects of your diet. You want to be drinking plenty of water and milk (if that's where you choose to get part of your calories/protein from).
    sorry to be anal
    Milk contains enough water surely. One could adequately be hydrated from drinking solely milk in a day, surely.

ReputationRep:
    sorry to be anal
    As Transatlanticdrawl_ said, there's no problem with drinking milk instead of water as long as you are getting sufficient liquid inside you. There are no real advantages (that I can think of) to drinking water on its own over drinking it in the form of milk. Of course you won't want to replace your bottle of water while training with a bottle of milk, but there's no reason that, when you need a drink ordinarily, you shouldn't go for milk instead of water.

Remember, when it's said that you should drink [whatever the amount is] of water each day, it doesn't mean that it has to be water with absolutely nothing else in it.

ReputationRep:
    Aye just like the above, I drink milk all the time and never water, the only exception being training when milk would just be bleh, and my piss is permanantly crystal clear lol

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the amount of water in milk? I drink alot of water, it just wouldn't work if I replaced all that water with milk on top of the milk I already drink, makes me feel more sluggish, not sure why?

ReputationRep:
    Milk is actually more rehydrating than water, just so you know

I guess it'd make you feel sluggish if you're mildly lactose intolerant/unable to digest lactose easily

ReputationRep:
    maybe I am just intolerant, cause I feel quite bloated if I drink alot of it. Sorry for hijacking the thread Venetian and good luck with your training!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the amount of water in milk? I drink alot of water, it just wouldn't work if I replaced all that water with milk on top of the milk I already drink, makes me feel more sluggish, not sure why?

About 80%

ReputationRep:
    Had an absolutely **** session today

Was going for 3x5x95kg squats 3x5x67.5kg bench and 1x5x115kg deadlift

Squats:
    2x5x20kg

5x50kg
    5x60kg
    3x80kg
    5x95kg
    3x95kg
    5x90kg

Bench:

2x5x20kg

5x50kg
    3x60kg
    3x67.5kg
    5x62.5kg
    3x62.5kg

Deadlift:

5x60kg
    3x80kg
    1x100kg
    3x115kg

Dips:

5x14kg
    4x14kg
    3x14kg

Pretty pissed about the whole workout really got the first set of squats ok but thought i was gonna get pinned on the second set so i dropped it back to 90 and got 5 at that. Bench felt way too heavy from the start but i couldn't even get the 62.5kg sets which was gay. Deadlifts felt ok at the start but on the 4th rep i got the bar off the ground about an inch and then couldn't move it.

Not really sure whether this was just a one off thing or if i should have a deload on most my lifts and work my way back up again. I was also wondering if anyone has tried doing a sort of westside style exercise rotation but with the rippetoes general scheme. I was thinking of maybe having 3 different exercises for each of the current ones and rotating them when i stall so it looks something like this:

Workout A
    3x5 High bar squat/Low bar squat/Front squat
    3x5 Bench Press/Incline Bench/Floor Press?
    1x5 Deadlift/Rack pulls/Romanian Deadlift or maybe Snatch grip deadlift
    3x5 Dips

Workout B
    3x5 High bar squat/Low bar squat/Front squat
    3x5 Press/ Push Press
    5x3 Power cleans/ Clean pulls/ High pulls or maybe pendlay rows
    3xf Chins

I thought it would maybe stop me stalling as much now that i'm moving a reasonable amount of weight for my bw on most my lifts

If anyone has any advice or opinions on the idea it would be appreciated:o:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.