Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Have just started STEP practice and on June 2007, i was unable to answer that last part of question 5. I was just wondering, would not being able to answer a last part hinder the mark on that question (or any question in fact) a lot or would it only bring the mark down slightly. (just for information - it was a 3 part q and examiners report said very few people could answer it - but i dont know how that would affect marking if it did at all).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilman91)
    Have just started STEP practice and on June 2007, i was unable to answer that last part of question 5. I was just wondering, would not being able to answer a last part hinder the mark on that question (or any question in fact) a lot or would it only bring the mark down slightly. (just for information - it was a 3 part q and examiners report said very few people could answer it - but i dont know how that would affect marking if it did at all).
    A good rule of thumb is; marks are awarded as you would think they are.

Therefore the hard parts that take longer to work out are usually worth a lot more marks than the sometimes often trivial earlier parts of the question.

On which paper was the question?

ReputationRep:
    Which paper?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not particularly experienced with STEP, I only did it as an extra, but I don't remember answering more than 1 question fully on STEP I, and I got a 1, and in STEP II I didn't answer any fully, and got a 2. Full answers are much better, but if you know you can do the first parts then you should, and then try to work out the last part (though if there's an easier question in the real thing, do that one obviously..)

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's marked THAT harshly to be honest. I mean, judging by my STEP I performance, I didn't expect more than around 60, but somehow I got near 80. I can guarantee you I did not have more than 2 full solutions and even my good solutions had mistakes in them.

ReputationRep:
    few marks are given for an imcomplete answer. full marks will be given for a complete correct answer.

so yes it does matter if you cant complete a question. obviously you still get marks, but nowhere near as many as if you had completed it.

this is from the dude which actually sets the step exams btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonM)
    Which paper?
    Step 2 2007

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    few marks are given for an imcomplete answer. full marks will be given for a complete correct answer.

so yes it does matter if you cant complete a question. obviously you still get marks, but nowhere near as many as if you had completed it.
    In practice, this doesn't seem to be the case. (It is certainly not the case for Tripos exams, in my experience).

From what I've seen, the marks are awarded more-or-less proportionately. That is, if you do 75% of a question correctly, you will get about 75% of the marks.

To put it another way, if you only get 25% wrong, you cannot lose more than 25% of the marks on the question (*).

On the other hand, it's worth realising that unless you've done the whole question, it's hard to judge how much of the question you've missed out by skipping one part. In this particular case, I'd say the last part is worth between 8 and 10 marks out of 20, so you'd lose a lot of marks if you couldn't get it out.

(*) That's probably putting it too strongly. I suspect you could lose more than 25%, but not much more. But there's a tendancy for people to think "I only answered 3 bits out of 4, so I'll get 50% at most", and that is usually far too pessimistic.

ReputationRep:
    My own experience suggests that they're marked fairly leniantly. I scored at least 20 marks better than I was predicting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalNumber)
    My own experience suggests that they're marked fairly leniantly. I scored at least 20 marks better than I was predicting.
    Am I the only person bitter?

Sometimes the mark scheme seems particularly harsh, sometimes lenient. That inequalities question last summer.... *grumbles*

ReputationRep:
    Why are you complaining, they gave you an S.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonM)
    Am I the only person bitter?

Sometimes the mark scheme seems particularly harsh, sometimes lenient. That inequalities question last summer.... *grumbles*
    Did you do one paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK22)
    Did you do one paper?
    Yeah, STEP I *grumbles about not doing more*

ReputationRep:
    It is more interesting to do STEP than normal A-level maths / further maths, in A-levels, you do what the examiners 'want'. But in STEP, most questions have more than one approach and examiners won't be put off when they see a candidate solves a problem differently to others, the only thing is you must clearly write down what you are doing, steps shown are important

(Gonna do STEP this summer, last entry isn't it?)

ReputationRep:
    What about if you make a mistake right at the beginning of the question? In A-level and even the Olympiad that tends to lose you a lot of marks, even some of those for method. In STEP do they only penalise you for the single mistake you made if the rest is correct based on your mistake?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meeton)
    What about if you make a mistake right at the beginning of the question? In A-level and even the Olympiad that tends to lose you a lot of marks, even some of those for method. In STEP do they only penalise you for the single mistake you made if the rest is correct based on your mistake?
    It would depend on the mistake, but if it changed the question significantly, they probably would.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 30, 2009

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.