Molecular Biology question Watch

Nishil
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Could somebody verify this statement?

In prokaryote promoter sequences. does the number of the gene become more negative upstream of the transcription initiation site (i.e. before the initiation site) and does it become more positive downstream of the gene (i.e. in front of the initiation site)
mr Biomedicine
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
well the promotor is the area or DNA to which the RNApolymerase will bind. The promotor is composed of a TATA box and an initiator. The base pair coding for RNA starts at +1 and all of the coding region is positively numbered.

RNA polymerase binds between -70 and + 30 but main binding occurs at -10 and -35. Upstream promotor is located at -60 to -40 and it is bound by the alpha subunit if RNA polymerase in prokaryotes. The upstream promotor is required for high level transcription
Magendie
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mr Biomedicine)
well the promotor is the area or DNA to which the RNApolymerase will bind. The promotor is composed of a TATA box and an initiator. The base pair coding for RNA starts at +1 and all of the coding region is positively numbered.

RNA polymerase binds between -70 and + 30 but main binding occurs at -10 and -35. Upstream promotor is located at -60 to -40 and it is bound by the alpha subunit if RNA polymerase in prokaryotes. The upstream promotor is required for high level transcription
Prokaryote promoters don't have TATA boxes.....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (99)
25.65%
No (287)
74.35%

Watched Threads