Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'd really appreciate if anybody has any ideas on how to tackle this one.
    I live in a really big college owned student house.

One of my housemates who lives on my floor sets his alarm clock but doesn't wake up so it goes off repeatedly between the hours of about 7-9 am. Usually I get up at eightish, but if I've a late start I try to sleep in a little. Especially because I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping at night so I tend to be tired in the morning. Anyways, it keeps waking me up.

I've spoken to him about it a couple of times (i haven't been angry, I stayed polite) but nothing has changed.

There's no point banging on his door when it goes off because he's such a heavy sleeper he won't wake up(don't know why he sets it tbh)

I'm trying to track down a vibrating alarm clock to give him, for under your pillow, but I dont' know if he'd use it even if he had it.

Ideas welcome!

Eeep, pretty tough problem! With regards to the vibrating alarm clock though, most mobile phones can do it; just set the alarm like normal, only put it on silent/vibration mode. Just tell your housemate it might be more effective in waking him up or something :p:

ReputationRep:
    i would go in there and change the alarm clock to go off at 8. i doubt he would notice

ReputationRep:
    go into his room when he's not around and cut the plug off

ReputationRep:
    8 bloody hell by that time ive been up two hours, walked the dog drank a coffee had a shower and played some games.

8 oclock for mes a lie in.

Use the alarm clock and get up at a decent hour

ReputationRep:
    Pretty radical idea but earplugs until you move out??

ReputationRep:
    I would smash it or steal it when he isn't around. Then when he finds out it is gone, do a "nice gesture" by buying the ones that vibrate under his pillow and tell him it is much more effective so he will use it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    8 bloody hell by that time ive been up two hours, walked the dog drank a coffee had a shower and played some games.
    I used to get up at six, and I'm perfectly capable of getting up early. Usually. But I'm having such trouble getting to sleep(even when I go to bed early) that I can't get up until after eight because I can't function well enough to study on less than eight hours.

I tried the earplugs thing, but I get so uncomfortable having things in my ears that I can't relax enough to sleep.

Also, all our rooms are locked all the time.

ReputationRep:
    i'd relish it... be happy that you can stay snuggled in your nice warm bed for a good hour or two longer whilst he is gonna be in a flat panic to rush out the house horribly late when he wakes up..

ReputationRep:
    Confront him, tell him to either get up or stop setting the bloody thing. If it doesn't get any better put a horses head in his bed whilst he's sleeping.

ReputationRep:
    When I went away a few times I forgot to turn my alarm off and it really pissed everyone off. Tell him a bit more firmly about it and suggest he gets a new alarm if that one doesn't work.

ReputationRep:
    my housemate would do that... even better he'd set it for 8am and go out ... so that it would go off and no-one could stop it, and it was REALLLLLLY loud and annoying.

so we had to tell him to be more considerate... i havent heard it since...

=] all i can suggest is talk to him again, and perhaps see if it bothers anyone else so that its more than just you saying about it (as he might just think its you whinging... but if someone else complains, it must be annoying...)

ReputationRep:
    Hmm suggest buying a new one?
    Otherwise, just stick your head under the covers and try to ignore it?
    On my days off I would get woken up everyday by people shouting and playing music, you get used to it eventually.

ReputationRep:
    Whens he next out for a sesh go into his room and brake it....he will just think he did it when he was wasted and you will get your peaceful mornings! =]

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.