Turn on thread page Beta

Intermediate Maths Challenge 2009 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As has been stated due to exceptionally adverse weather conditions some schools will not be taking the challenge until Monday. I have asked the moderators to remove the details posted about the paper and would ask that noone else posts questions or answers until they are made available on our website www.ukmt.org.uk on Tuesday. Many thanks Mary Wimbury, UKMT Director

ReputationRep:
    I know that it's possible to purchase past papers from the UKMT website, but does anyone know where I could get them without having to go to such trouble? I'm especially looking for solutions to the 2000 paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rupertj)
    I know that it's possible to purchase past papers from the UKMT website, but does anyone know where I could get them without having to go to such trouble? I'm especially looking for solutions to the 2000 paper.
    www.freeexampapers.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeDaX)
    www.freeexampapers.com
    I couldn't find them on this website, are you sure they are on it! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S-T)
    They're not. Just ask in school. To be honest, past papers won't really help with this challenge, you will have to think on the spot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S-T)
    No I'm not. I thought you might find them there

ReputationRep:
    http://www.highlandbridge.co.uk/UKMT/teachers/

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, but would you know where to find earlier papers?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, but would you know where to find earlier papers?
    nah sorry mate, no problem

ReputationRep:
    Isn't anybody else taking this? I'm surprised by the lack of interest...

ReputationRep:
    Isn't anybody else taking this? I'm surprised by the lack of interest...
    I am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessicax)
    I am
    Could you give me some advice? I'm not that great...

ReputationRep:
    most of the questions usually come down to a bit of logic. from what i remember, a good section of the questions a geometry based, so GCSE circle theorems might be quite important, as well as formulae areas/volumes of different shapes, and things like similar triangles, ratios of lengths/areas/volumes etc. there's not really much else to it; a bit of algebra, which doesn't go past GCSE level. i don't remember any number theory in it at all... IIRC on the first 15 questions, you can't lose any marks for getting a wrong answer, so best to answer all of those for a good score: perhaps if you've narrowed the choices down to 2 or maybe 3, a logical guess could come into it. in fact, some of the time, rather than solving the question at hand, you could answer a few questions correctly by looking at the choices and finding which one fits the question....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    most of the questions usually come down to a bit of logic. from what i remember, a good section of the questions a geometry based, so GCSE circle theorems might be quite important, as well as formulae areas/volumes of different shapes, and things like similar triangles, ratios of lengths/areas/volumes etc. there's not really much else to it; a bit of algebra, which doesn't go past GCSE level. i don't remember any number theory in it at all... IIRC on the first 15 questions, you can't lose any marks for getting a wrong answer, so best to answer all of those for a good score: perhaps if you've narrowed the choices down to 2 or maybe 3, a logical guess could come into it. in fact, some of the time, rather than solving the question at hand, you could answer a few questions correctly by looking at the choices and finding which one fits the question....
    Thanks; would you know where to obtain papers from? I guess not, since you would have said so?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks; would you know where to obtain papers from? I guess not, since you would have said so?
    i'll post a few in a bit.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot, but would you have the solutions?

If it would take you a while to get them, then it doesn't matter. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Concentrate on questions 1-15. Never guess 21-25, as you probably would lose 10 marks.

1) Attempt to answer 1-15.
    2) Any you can't answer, leave them to later.
    3) Look at 16-20 and answer the ones you like the look of.
    4) Look at 21-25 and answer the ones you like the look of.
    5) Go back to any unanswered questions from 1-15. If you have no idea on a question, just guess it.
    6) Look at other questions from 16-25.

Last 5-10 minutes:
    1) Make sure you have transferred all the answers across.
    2) Guess (educated, if possible) the remaining questions 1-15.
    3) If you can make an educated guess (from 2 or 3 possible answers) do so for 16-20.
    4) Don't guess 21-25 - unless its a 50:50 choice. Generally you will lose marks if you guess all of them.

Learn circle theorems and anything geometric. In fact, good geometry is vital and makes up a good 20% of maths challenges/olympiads. Basically know circle theorems, angles (alternating, in a triangle, etc) and know how to find the interior and exterior angles for regular polygons.

Find the definition of a prime factor and know how to find it out. eg:
    Spoiler:
    Show

[Does it divide by 2? No]
    [Does it divide by 3? No]
    [Does it divide by 5? No]
    [Does it divide by 7? Yes]

2009=7*287

[Does it divide by 7? Yes]

287=7*41

[Does it divide by 7? No]

7*7=49, which is larger than 41. Anyway, 41 is a prime number.

So 2009=7*7*41

That's basically prime factors.

Utterly shameful :no: I've got too much time.

Oh, and there's a load of other things which comes naturally...but then again, I have never actually 'revised' for one of these - just a load of practice - it took me 2 years to get into the olympiad (year 9).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot, but would you have the solutions?

If it would take you a while to get them, then it doesn't matter. :o:
    i could make some for you probably. best to have a go yourself first, before looking at the solutions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    Oh, and there's a load of other things which comes naturally...but then again, I have never actually 'revised' for one of these - just a load of practice - it took me 2 years to get into the olympiad (year 9).
    Always been in the British team or just that once?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 28, 2009

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.