What do I have to do to get an A/A* in my GCSE art? Watch

mammamia:0
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Right here we go-
I have for Y10- Project: Natural Forms
I started doing bones, shells and flowers and have a prep sheet of these, then i moved onto just flowers, then enlarged sections of flowers and for my final piece did a collage thing- i looked at georgia o keefe, andy warhol and Nel whatmore- My teacher reckons this is an A- not sure would like advice on how I can improve it- I have only about 4 prep sheets (A1) and I dont think that this is anywhere near enough
Then for Y11- Architechture
I have a research prep sheet with about 5 A5 drawings and some photos i took and then i have a prep sheet of plaster samples and plaster photos
and then my final piece is this emulsion print with a window frame- but no critical studies- am doing castles and literally have no idea what artist to do. Also I dont think that I have done enough for this project- teacher says its a low B at the moment- how do I improve- will do any amount of work that is necessary.
I have my exam paper and its confusing me- can someone give me a project I can do for like anything please as it takes me so long to decide and I only have like a month.
Please help me I want to do Vet Med and need the best GCSE results possible and dont want my stupid art teacher to let me down- she really is no good.

THANKS SO MUCH Will be sure to give rep
Dumdedoobie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We can't really help you without seeing your work.
Just ask your teacher and other students.
Will be loooads of work though.
Phalanx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Rid your artwork of any originality and creativity and strive only to copy your chosen artist's work.
Gunnerzz
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Its not about quantity! I did 20 odd A3 pages and only got a B. I just dont annotate enough...
menaa-x
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
its about quality AND quantity (: just make sure you do actually have a good quantity of work but at the same time you need to ensure the quality is good!!
make sure theres a variety, they way we did it was, a line drawing, a painting, a drawing, a pen & wash, an IT project, a 3d form.. and so on.. like one or two of each. and more if you feel like it..
it didnt do me any harm i got 100% :P somehow!! good luck!!!
and make sure your sketchbook is upto scratch, think of it as a diary.. do samples of your work in it, test out your ideas and generally test out ideas even if your not going to use them. You could even do seperate work in your sketchbook even if it isnt one of your bigger paintings or pieces of work.

we weren't told seperate grades for each unit though.
when i did my first project (natural form) i did georgia okeefe too we was just told what peices of work we'd need.
and for the second project i chose pattern cos well you can do quite a lot with that (:

and for your exam make sure you have about 2 or 3 research sheet.
one of mine was just researching different artists
one was pictures id taken
and the third was different ideas for my final peice

i hope that helps :| if you need anymore help just message me i think im just chattin crap here
scarlet-lady
Report 9 years ago
It is about quantity and quality. Whatever size your sketchbooks are make sure you fill them, no gaps, no blank pages. Make sure there's written and visual work on every page.
In my first year we did projects on self portraiture, which ended up with two pencil works, a lino print and a painting as the final pieces. For the pencil work project I had a full A5 sketchbook and two A2 research sheets, one with photos and observation and the other with artist studies. For the lino print I didn't do a sketchbook, I just had reseacrh sheets. Two sheets on artists, 1 on photos and drawings from them and 1 on experimentation. For the painting I had a full A5 sketchbook and two research sheets, one on experimentation and one on artists.
In my second year we did structures as our mock exam and barriers as our actual exam.
For structures I had a full A5 sketchbook, and A2 sheets for observation and photos, artists and experimentation. For barriers I worked mostly in my sketchbook with a couple of larger experimentations and observational drawings.
When you do artist studies, don't do a biography. Infact unless it relates specifically to what and why the artist has created the piece, don't write anything about the artists life. Write about what the artist has done, how they've achieved it and how it makes you feel. Look at how it can be interpretated differently. Write about how it links into your own work, why are you looking at them? Don't just do copies of their work, do some of your own work in their style. Experiment using their media, thier technique, or their subject.
Experimentation in general is good, try new media and new things. Paint on top of straw, learn how to sculpt, stick twigs into your book to look at texture, dribble wax down your page, that sort of thing.
Make sure you document your development in your book. Show how chose what photo to work from and why you chose it, what colours have you decided on, what media are you going to work in and why? This needs to be visual as well as written.
I got 100% overall so this worked for me
Have fun, but also be prepared to put a lot of time in. Putting in time wasn't really an issue for me because I love it but I do practically live in our art block If you're limited to time constraints go for quality, pushing out tons and tons of work below your ability isn't going to show much. Make sure your work reflects your ability.
sorry about the text wall
Rep:
?
Thanks got my exam paper now- how much work should i do considering that i only have 4 weeks
menaa-x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mammamia:0)
Thanks got my exam paper now- how much work should i do considering that i only have 4 weeks
well what question are you doing? wht does it ask you?
Rep:
?
its machines and technology
Fernand Leger, members of Futurist movement, Eduardo Paolozzi and Bill Woodrow have responded to the world of machines and technology
Research the work of such artists and produce your own response to the machines and technologies of today
Yes so thats what it tells me to do
menaa-x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
its machines and technology
Fernand Leger, members of Futurist movement, Eduardo Paolozzi and Bill Woodrow have responded to the world of machines and technology
Research the work of such artists and produce your own response to the machines and technologies of today
Yes so thats what it tells me to do
well you could go down to a few art galleries and have a look for anything that relates to your work in anyway or any ideas. or jus generally artists that you're interested in that have done similar stuff
take picturess
you could write notes to remind you laterrr (:
and then you could add them as part of your research
you could also test out ideas, buy some different materials, maybe wood, thin metal strips, jus generally.. even sketch out ideas..
as part of my reserch for gcse i mindmapped the ideas and jus stuk the a4 sheet onto the big a1 sheet as part of one of my reserch sheets if that makes sense.. i was doing 'word and image' so i mind-mapped things like. posters, leaflets, adverts, maps, photo's etc etc

for your machinery maybe you could look at different types of machinery and technologyy etc

you could do like a canvas (: so its mix media that way ur showing your paintin andd material usage at the same timee
so you could actually paint a machinery item or whatever it is the question asks and then use materials goin off it or whatever

but really it is upto you

or you could actually just do a sculpture! but remember to make a personal response to it and actually show that youve reallyyyyy researched it!!

Rep:
?
thanks- i will rep u as soon as it will let me- stupid once per day rule
menaa-x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
thanks- i will rep u as soon as it will let me- stupid once per day rule
well if you need anymore help then feel free to ask x
mikemike
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
its all about the annotation...go to the exam boards website, download their mark scheme and make sure everythin you write sucks up to that, easy! Not so much for A level though...
menaa-x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mikemike)
its all about the annotation...go to the exam boards website, download their mark scheme and make sure everythin you write sucks up to that, easy! Not so much for A level though...
agreed. tis awful a-level art. in a good way though. takes over your life..
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?