The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Luce...
Just wondering, do you think people starting a language from scratch are at a disadvantage?

To be honest, none of my friends did Italian/Spanish from scratch so I can't really comment. Everyone did French or German. But I wouldn't think that you would be at a disadvantage, since other people also would be!

Have any of you looked at the history modules yet? I can advise you what's supposed to be good. :biggrin:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 61
Cessie
To be honest, none of my friends did Italian/Spanish from scratch so I can't really comment. Everyone did French or German. But I wouldn't think that you would be at a disadvantage, since other people also would be!

Have any of you looked at the history modules yet? I can advise you what's supposed to be good. :biggrin:

Yeah, I have to confess I've spent far too much time looking at the module lists! XD
I liked the idea of History and the Novel, but the novels didn't really seem that interesting, if that makes any sense! Any opinions on it?
What about the South Asian modules, are they any good?
Reply 62
Luce...
Yeah, I have to confess I've spent far too much time looking at the module lists! XD
I liked the idea of History and the Novel, but the novels didn't really seem that interesting, if that makes any sense! Any opinions on it?
What about the South Asian modules, are they any good?

I don't actually know anyone who did the novel one, certainly wouldn't be my cup of tea! Not sure about the content of the 'developing south asia' one but my housemate had the tutor for another module and loved her. The Gandhi one people seemed to quite like, I have that tutor for two modules this year and he's well sound lol. From that first year list I've done History of Russia (quite good, we didn't have the proper tutor for it, but he's meant to be good), Ireland 1848-1970 (really good) and Reform Revolt and Reaction in the USA (I did this in 2nd yr... was amazing, legendary tutor, proper chilled out).

ETA: defo go to the mini talks about them in the first week, you really need to assess the tutors lol!
Reply 63
I'm a little late, but I loved the Open Day!! :smile: I'm 99% sure Warwick will by my firm (which means I won't have an insurance). I think I'll go for the Modern History stream, and either Post A-Level French, Post-GCSE Spanish or Italian from scratch. Not sure!
Reply 64
missemma91
I'm a little late, but I loved the Open Day!! :smile: I'm 99% sure Warwick will by my firm (which means I won't have an insurance). I think I'll go for the Modern History stream, and either Post A-Level French, Post-GCSE Spanish or Italian from scratch. Not sure!

Hi!
:smile:
Wow, you have a lot of language options! :smile:
The Open Day was really good! Which one did you go to?
Reply 65
there is an open day coming up on the 22nd (i think), any one going?
Reply 66
Luce...
Hi!
Wow, you have a lot of language options! :smile:
The Open Day was really good! Which one did you go to?

It was March 4th? If that was the Wednesday? I'm a worried about being homesick though :frown: I'm sure it's not just me!
Reply 67
missemma91
It was March 4th? If that was the Wednesday? I'm a worried about being homesick though :frown: I'm sure it's not just me!

I think everyone ll get homesick at some point :frown:
So I wouldn't worry too much!
Hopefully you ll have met lots of nice, friendly people by then too. :smile:
Reply 68
Yeah, I hope so! My friend who goes there atm is reassuring me that it's amazing once you get there :smile: I'm still looking out for the accomodation section to come up online!
Reply 69
missemma91
Yeah, I hope so! My friend who goes there atm is reassuring me that it's amazing once you get there :smile: I'm still looking out for the accomodation section to come up online!

I know, me too!
Finally managed to understand that whole student finance thing, so I just want to get my accomodation sorted now! :biggrin:
I finally made Warwick my firm today, even though I got all my decisions in Jan, and had been pretty sure it was my firm since then! It was really scary, making it final, plus I'd been having insurance dilemmas. Feels good now, though :smile:
Debating between Warwick and exeter at the moment! Going to go visit the place in a week or so.
Reply 72
glitterprincess_8
I finally made Warwick my firm today, even though I got all my decisions in Jan, and had been pretty sure it was my firm since then! It was really scary, making it final, plus I'd been having insurance dilemmas. Feels good now, though :smile:

Well done!
I was really indecisive about the whole thing too.:smile:
Where's your insurance, if you don't mind me asking?
Luce...
Well done!
I was really indecisive about the whole thing too.:smile:
Where's your insurance, if you don't mind me asking?

Insurance is Bristol but I was torn between that and Southampton because I live in Bristol and I really don't want to stay at home. Still, hopefully it will be motivation to get the grades- so excited about Warwick now! :smile:
Reply 74
glitterprincess_8
Insurance is Bristol but I was torn between that and Southampton because I live in Bristol and I really don't want to stay at home. Still, hopefully it will be motivation to get the grades- so excited about Warwick now! :smile:

Me too! :smile:
Just have to keep fingers crossed that everything'll go alright with exams and stuff!
Reply 75
Firmed Warwick last week

Spike4848
Debating between Warwick and exeter at the moment! Going to go visit the place in a week or so.

I got an offer from Exeter too but I don't think their course is as good as Warwick's
Spike4848

I was also torn between warwick and exeter! Chose Warwick in the end though.
glitterprincess_8
I was also torn between warwick and exeter! Chose Warwick in the end though.

Why'd you choose Warwick in the end?
Spike4848
Why'd you choose Warwick in the end?

Visited both places and felt like I'd fit in better at warwick. From the open day, I felt that the history staff at warwick seemed so passionate, approachable and that they really knew their stuff. It might have been that the open day I went to at warwick was much smaller than the exeter one, but I felt like I'd get more support and would also be pushed harder at warwick. To me, it also seemed like oppurtunities at warwick would help me career-wise more than at exeter.

It was a tough decision though, I thought the exeter campus was nicer and both courses are fantastic and from the league tables it seems like there's barely anything between the departments. Good luck choosing!
glitterprincess_8
Visited both places and felt like I'd fit in better at warwick. From the open day, I felt that the history staff at warwick seemed so passionate, approachable and that they really knew their stuff. It might have been that the open day I went to at warwick was much smaller than the exeter one, but I felt like I'd get more support and would also be pushed harder at warwick. To me, it also seemed like oppurtunities at warwick would help me career-wise more than at exeter.

It was a tough decision though, I thought the exeter campus was nicer and both courses are fantastic and from the league tables it seems like there's barely anything between the departments. Good luck choosing!

Oh dear :frown:

I have a feeling it may be swayed by the fact that one of my good friends already goes to Warwick, so will be able to persuade me much better when I go to visit her, whereas at Exeter I know no one...

Hmm.. Well. Seems to me that Warwick is rated higher then Exeter generally, pretty similiar on history though, admittedly.

Thanks for your thoughts! Probably see you in October...

Latest