Turn on thread page Beta
    • #1
    • Thread Starter

    well, generally going through a rough patch atm:
    i've been self harming for years but tbh no one has ever really taken it that seriously except my mum so i've always thought it was ok but recently it seems to have got worse.
    one of my friends is suffering too with anorexia and it's taking it's toll on all of us and we're having difficulties not getting into arguments all the time etc.
    my mum is struggling with depression and as a single mum trying to look after my difficult 10 yr old brother too.
    it's just like all of a sudden everything is going wrong and i can't seem to do anything about it.
    i've tried to help my friend and i help my mum as much as i can it's just not good enough to solve anything


    Sorry to hear that. Do you have anybody that you can speak to about things?
    It's sounds like you have a lot to cope with.

    Have you considered seeking help for your self-harm? I think that going to the doctors would be the best thing. Trained professionals will perhaps be able to enable you to develop alternative coping mechanisms. They can also refer you to a counsellor if you feel upto speak to one.

    Bare in mind that a lot of people go through what you do (self-harm etc) and seek help as you can, it will not be unfamiliar to the doctor. They will be able to help you, as will talking to people that you know and trust. Take care and I hope that things work out okay for you.

    There is only so far you can be stretched as you have seen with this, it is effecting you. I would try and push your friend to see someone about the anorexia if she isnt already, it is important that she gets to see someone, same for your mum, there is only so much you can do as a sholder to cry on compared to a trained professional.

    It is okay for you to be having problems, it seems to me you are comparing your problems to others ie: your friends and your mums. You are thinking your problems are in no way comparable.
    If you are self harming, be it as a stress coping technique or for actual problems, it would be good for you to see someone, as there are better ways to cope with things then hurting yourself. Try and talk to your GP they will know the best form of action for you to go through.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2009
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.