Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey i need to choose out of s2 and d1 for my option module for a2 maths

for s1 i got 69/100 but i beleive that i have improved that considerbaly in the jan retake.

which one do you think is eaisier out of d1 and s2.The thing is that my d1 teacher at school is really rubbish so i think i have to do it slef taught but i can do s2 with my tutor whos really good.

but at school one of the teachers at school is sayin d1 and the other is sayin s2

please help? i need to make a decision by sun as my tutor is startin s2

ReputationRep:
    D1 is much more easier and less boring.

ReputationRep:
    D1 is easier
    Especially if bad at S1

ReputationRep:
    can d1 be self taught

ReputationRep:
    D1 definitely!!
    S1 is nothing like S2 either

ReputationRep:
    is s2 harder

ReputationRep:
    can someone please advise

ReputationRep:
    s2 is very easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benwa)
    can d1 be self taught
    yes, that's what im doing atm

ReputationRep:
    in what way
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    S2's more rewarding, but if you got a C in S1 I'd recommend D1 because it's way easier (and not stats). S2 can get quite complicated when it comes to hypothesis tests and finding unbiased estimators, but the rest of it (the distributions etc.) is very easy. D1 mostly involves committing algorithms to memory and being able to apply them to problems... then there's a little bit of brain work involved in being able to find out which graphs are Eulerian and stuff like that, but with enough time it's very easy to do.

ReputationRep:
    Do you like statistics? is the question I believe you need to ask. We spent hours deliberating whether to do S2 or FP3 (done FP1, FP2, FP4, D1 and D2, but went with FP3 as stats does not really intrest us very much at all.

ReputationRep:
    but i mean like i have retaken s1 in jan and i think i got considerably higher in the retake.But the thing is my d1 teacher at skul is a complete ****** so like i gta to teach myself it whereas for s2 my tutor is really gowhat do you think. plus im doing economics at uni so do u think s2 will help.

ReputationRep:
    is this edexcel maths?
    if it is, ive done S2, its ok, only 4 chapters in the book, so when you get an 8 question exam paper, sometimes you end up with 2 or 3 hypothesis tests questions:p:

im self teaching D1 now, or should start it.
    if you can, why not do both, so then you can pick the highest score to go into your a level?

ReputationRep:
    Having done D1 and also S2, i would actually tell you to do S2 as it is easier than S1 and if you can remember a few formula's then your sorted. I just did the jan 09 S2 paper and for most of the questions, they told me what i needed to do and what formulas to use.

As for D1 then the principle of it is easy but the actual exam paper is hard as they word if very differenlty and its difficult. I thought D1 was easy but i ended up getting a B in it and my teacher actually said that although d1 is easier to learn in the actual exam you tend to do worse in it than your other further maths modules.

Hope this info helps,
    Marcus

ReputationRep:
    thank you marcus good advice but like i gt a C first tym and i thinm ive imporved it it in jan maybe to a B or A but if i get a B ill do it again in june. You think i cn styll cope with s2

I sat both this month. S2 was incredibly short and quite easy. D1 was incredibly boring but very easy. I'd personally recommend S2, but different things suit different people.

ReputationRep:
    but tomm the thing is im aiming for about in the 80's for the option modules which one u think its more easier to get in the 80 range

ReputationRep:
    Is it me or does this topic come up every week?

D1 is easy but boring tbh.

S1 is boring too... But it's harder than D1.

But I've heard from my friends that S2 is easy peasy too... What kind of mathematician are you OP?

ReputationRep:
    im talking abt s2

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.