MURs? Watch

Pharmacystudent
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi,
I am a pharmacy student and just wondered if any of you medicine students are covering MURs, medicine use reviews.
I have an assignment on it, and could really do with some info on what you guys are covering..please
Bubbles!
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm not a medical student but I work in a pharmacy..i may be able to help?
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bubbles!)
Go on then, I'm interested.
Pharmacystudent
(Original post by Bubbles!)
Cheers for the reply.
What are the views of the pharmacist on MURs? IS it a multiple phamacy ? If so what are the targets to be met? Do you know what the GPs think of this, I have read that some of the GPs think they are rubbish and just file them, or even bin them. Not sure how true that is.
Bubbles!
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well we've been put under a lot of pressure to reach targets with MURs. We need to average about 2 daily..but with regular customers there's only so many you can do! We get quite a few locums as our pharmacist is doing training 3 days a week - some of them are fine with doing them but others think they're just pointless and add extra pressure. With regards to the doctors from the surgery where most of the scripts come from...so far I think they see MURs as a positive thing, they give patients the opp to review medication without having to make a doc appointment first..therefore theoretically freeing up some time for the docs. I can understand some doctors seeing them as rubbish, in a sense, MURs undermine doctors and the pharmacist/patient tells the doctor what they think. Some docs may not like that! Hope it helps any more Q's please ask. Oh and I don't know what u mean by multiple pharmacy..we do have a retail side to.
Pharmacystudent
Hey Bubbles, Thanks for the reply. Its was really beneficial to get an idea of the pharmacists views. Sorry I didnt make it clear with regards to multiples, I meant was it a privately owned pharmacy or one by a large chain. i.e Lloyds.
I spoke to a chap from Lloyds, he said that they get disciplinary letters if they do not meet targets, so he tends to do just the easy ones to get the numbers, whereas those that need them,i.e the patient on 6/7 meds ends up getting missed as they take too long. He said they tend to have non pharmacist area managers and they only care about targets, one actually told him to try and increase the sales of paracetamol!! He said it was against his code of ethics, but he didnt seem to understand.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?